Sprailenes

Off Topic Part Deux

5,004 posts in this topic

Just got back indoors.

Met up with a sailor friend from IN.

Brrrrr...it is inhumane!

And still, lots of people on Michigan Avenue (one of the numerous main shopping districts).

Took a looooooooooong hotttttt shower.

Mo bettah!

My step mom in law (mouthful, huh?) called and teased me about telling one of her big dogs to "stay off of 'Spirit's' bed" (not really my bed, just a guest bed) and asked when I was coming to stay with her in Florida (her Winter home). This was yesterday, when the weather was a "balmy" 20 F. Today what with windchill of -18F (I"m certain it was even colder than that), I am going to start packing enough clothes, books, art supplies, etc to last me 2 months (about 2 duffel bags worth of stuff) and go...ASAP!!! B)

I hope she wasn't just joking... :P

What with this being the first Xmas that she will be on her own (FIL died in May), it may be a challenging one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, I looked back and saw it:

the Coffeemate.

She's still ingesting it even after I have begged and everything. :crying:

:blush:

Edited by SpiritAlight

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost forgot...and almost too late:

HAPPY SOLSTICE

may the days get longer and warmer...quick!

:star:

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Over & out, Spirit

What an auspicious day for a birthday.

Happy Happy Trailmix!

:star:

Over & out, Spirit

Good morning! I am woefully behind in all the threads. Seems like there has been lots of posting here recently! First off I wanted to post a Happy Birthday pic for trailmix! Seems I missed her birthday! Hope it was joyous my friend!

happy-birthday.jpg

Then coffee!

Coffee-2-1.jpg

I'm horribly sick with a cold. Got it on Saturday and feeling really awful. Hope it's gone by Christmas.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Happy belated, T-mixy. Hope you had a good one.

Morning yall. Frezing out today. My brother who plays hockey here in the US was supposed to fly into Buffalo from Atlanta last night. Well all the flights to Buffalo were pretty much cancelled because of weather so I was on the phone with him trying to rebook his fight and ended up having to pay out of pocket for a new one. My brother is 22 and perfectly capable of handling himself but he always looks to me for these kind of things.

Needless to say, I'm tired but I'm looking forward to leaving for Canada tomorrow and hoping I don't hit any snow storms.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

good morning canada. it feels like i'm in canada here, it's 1 degree! :blink:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the Birthday wishes all (mine was on Saturday) and happy belated b'day Mephys!

I did have a nice birthday, my Husband got me a new 'gaming' keyboard, the touch is so much better, can you guys tell I am typing faster??

Sorry to hear about your cold Carla, hope you feel better very very soon.

Yeah, this white Christmas stuff, sounds good in the song but really it disrupts everyones xmas travel. Oh and my Sister from Texas arrived in Nebraska the other day - she brought a cold with her so now her and my other Sister both have a cold as they await the other rellies - hopefully no one else catches it!

Thanks trailmix, I hope I do feel better soon. I have no idea what a gaming keyboard is? How is it different? Do you only use it when you're gaming, and the other one when you're typing?

I didn't know it was mephys birthday either! Happy Belated to you my dear! Haven't seen much of you lately, hope you're doing well.

We bought a new car on Saturday.Because of the personal property tax on vehicles in your possession on the 31st of December, we're not taking delivery until January 2nd.

Here's what we bought, and in this exact same colour as well.

mazda35door0204xk4.th.jpg

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

We're going to Barrie today and going to eat at the Mandarin, I freakin love the Mandarin!

Then we're gonna go to be mall rats in Barrie. There is SO much snow here right now! I can't believe it! It hasn't been this bad in years.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
Thanks trailmix, I hope I do feel better soon. I have no idea what a gaming keyboard is? How is it different? Do you only use it when you're gaming, and the other one when you're typing?

I didn't know it was mephys birthday either! Happy Belated to you my dear! Haven't seen much of you lately, hope you're doing well.

We bought a new car on Saturday.Because of the personal property tax on vehicles in your possession on the 31st of December, we're not taking delivery until January 2nd.

mazda35door0204xk4.th.jpg

Oh la la! That is one of my favourite cars. I want to buy it before the body style gets changed. My husband says that will happen soon.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Love the car Carla...and the colour is beautiful :thumbs:

Oh and the keyboard, I use it all the time, it just has some special features for gaming - a whole set of keys on the left that provide special functions in your game (if you want them too) and it has USB ports on it and you can control your speakers on it, that kind of thing. My Husband has an identical one except his also has a little lcd screen - which I really don't need.

593.1.0.jpg

So you pay personal property tax on your vehicles each year?

Love the car Carla...and the colour is beautiful :thumbs:

Oh and the keyboard, I use it all the time, it just has some special features for gaming - a whole set of keys on the left that provide special functions in your game (if you want them too) and it has USB ports on it and you can control your speakers on it, that kind of thing. My Husband has an identical one except his also has a little lcd screen - which I really don't need.

593.1.0.jpg

So you pay personal property tax on your vehicles each year?

Very cool keyboard trailmix. What a lovely gift he bought you!

Yes, I think there was a thread on here once about that. Each year, Missouri residents have to pay a tax on whatever vehicle they own. This also includes boats. I think last year it was something like $200.00, but I don't know for sure. The money is based on the year of the vehicle, so getting a 2009, will mean a huge increase in that tax. You get a recipt for that tax paid, and you have to take it when you renew your plates as well, so no getting around it. No receipt, no plates!

The guy at the dealer knew about this, and nodded his head saying, we have 20 cars bought, with delivery for the 2nd of January.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

They have some very very odd tax practices here in the U.S. I must say.

Interestingly, when we registered our car here in Florida, we knew we had to pay based on 'fair market value'. So my Husband looked up the bluebook price etc etc

We go along to the registry place and she says what is the fair market value - and I don't remember how the rest of the conversation went - but she explained that to them 'fair market value' was not the blue book, or any other price - it was what WE thought was a 'fair' price :)

Ok, well that worked for us!!

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.