Sprailenes

Off Topic Part Deux

5,004 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
And that is why we call those people in CT "Connecticu*ts" :lol:

Man you should hear all the names we have for people here that I have learned from my Jersey friends..my favourite is people from Mass. When they are driving in Jersey and you spot them, you gotta say "oh look at that masshole"

:lol:

I've realized people in NJ are too mean for their own good.

:rofl: THAT is funny..... and also want to say when we take our "yankee" car down south.. we get these weird looks (not good looks, kinda like, how did your yankee GPS get you so far off your course kinda looks).. wonder what Georgians have made up for a nickname for a nutmegger :) ha ha!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Man you should hear all the names we have for people here that I have learned from my Jersey friends..my favourite is people from Mass. When they are driving in Jersey and you spot them, you gotta say "oh look at that masshole"

:rofl: THAT is funny..... and also want to say when we take our "yankee" car down south.. we get these weird looks (not good looks, kinda like, how did your yankee GPS get you so far off your course kinda looks).. wonder what Georgians have made up for a nickname for a nutmegger :) ha ha!

I'm just posting here because I was posting in the Monday thread and that is just not right!!

Oh and I thought this was funny.

So I was playing World of Warcraft last night and I was talking to this girl in our group (she and her BF live in NC). She said that if McCain had been voted in as president that she would have moved to Canada.

I said, well you can go there, but they will throw you out after 6 months. She said someone told her that you could go and live there for a year and then just apply for citizenship :blink:

I said, no, that's just not true, you have to go through immigration - and I said it is the same for Canadian's coming to the U.S. and she said 'Really?'

:)

LoL, the realm that Mel and I play on is the opposite. Trade chat is just out of control with political discussion. Because that is where you get serious substantive political discourse.... on a video game with half retarded 15 year olds. >.<

Yes, and that's just a registration fee! We will also have to register our vehicle and pay the sales tax on it to the licensing bureau. You don't pay it to the dealer, which is different than in Canada. Think it's 7% here. This is addition to the personal property tax, yearly. We'll not have to pay the PPT on the new vehicle until Dec 31 of 2009. I think it's a percentage of the fair market value, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

It just makes you shake your head doesn't it!

Hmmmm....anybody else here wondering that when you add it all up, I mean in a big way, and I am not meaning to include present financial disaster to this equation...where was I? :P Oh yeah, when you add it all up, I was starting to believe that it is way cheaper to live in Canada; even expensive places like Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal (in that order).

On the surface I used to think that life was more affordable in the U.S. (not including place like Manhattan, etc.).

Maybe that was how it was a decade and more ago.

Thoughts?

From my point of view, it's cheaper to live here in Southern California. I have incredible health insurance and benefits package through my employer, so that mitigates some costs. Now hear me out on this. There are some things that you just can't put a price on. I like snow, but I like 80 degree weather in February even more. Yes, some consumer products are more inexpensive, and by and large, rent and mortgages are less expensive in Canada. But can you really put a price on not having to put chains or snow tires on, or never having to shovel your driveway and walkway? :devil:

Ha!

Oh I hear you....loud and clear.

Even Seattle/Vancouver has been "soiled" by real Winter this year.

People dying, cities almost at a stand still.

Wow, I thought I would want to move to Seattle and be on my beloved West Coast and near my peops in Vancouver...well, maybe California is it! B)

Time will tell...

I'm going to copy your response, print it out and frame it.

I will put it in a spot where my sweetie can read it every day.

He, born and raised in Chicago, has never lived anywhere else.

Just doesn't get it.

Then again, after the extreme cold and snow lately, he may be getting wise to it.

*puts hands together and does pagan prayers*

Hee, hee.

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Okay, I'm back in here.

I had a crush on Luke Skywalker. :blush:

Hey I was like what 13? maybe.

I forget.

I am listening to CBC radio online the Vancouver one today.

Poor poor city....way too much snow and cold for too long.

That city is not set up for real Winter.

I love that photo Krikit.

The cardinal in the snowy tree. WOW!

:star:

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Timeline

Okay, well.... gotta go. I have shopping to do. Still have to pick up those last-minute Christmas gifts for my husband's family, then wrap them and blah blah blah. Please forgive me for my grumpiness during this festive season. You may have noticed that I am totally not enamoured with having to spend it with my in-laws. Sometimes when I am there I think I am going to literally lose my mind if I don't get out of there. It's awesome.

iagree.gif

Timeline
Okay, well.... gotta go. I have shopping to do. Still have to pick up those last-minute Christmas gifts for my husband's family, then wrap them and blah blah blah. Please forgive me for my grumpiness during this festive season. You may have noticed that I am totally not enamoured with having to spend it with my in-laws. Sometimes when I am there I think I am going to literally lose my mind if I don't get out of there. It's awesome.

For this Christmas I wish you lots of laughs, and a great bedroom - with wifi and a tv - to hide in :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm just posting here because I was posting in the Monday thread and that is just not right!!

:D

What can I say...We Northerners aren't so nice. :lol:

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Yes, it awesome to allow one to lose one's mind from time to time.

I highly recommend it!

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline

Just in case Krikit - have this cued for the inlaws :P

Timeline

:rofl: Perfect!!

Timeline

I think so too. Krikit, if you have a portable DVD player you could also cue it up and carry it around your neck for when the family really starts to get on your nerves. :lol:

For this Christmas I wish you lots of laughs, and a great bedroom - with wifi and a tv - to hide in :)

Awww. Thanks Trailmix. I wish that too. Ironically, the bedroom is one of the things which drive me crazy. :lol: It's my husband's old bedroom and his mother has "redecorated". Everything is blue. And I mean everything. Blue walls, blue trim, blue door, blue carpet, blue bedspread, blue sheets, blue pillows. Even I'm blue. And she keeps her computer and apparently everything else she needs in there so she's always coming in when I'm trying to escape. Last time she walked in on me while I was naked..... after I called out "Just a minute" when she knocked. Yeah. Good times.

I think so too. Krikit, if you have a portable DVD player you could also cue it up and carry it around your neck for when the family really starts to get on your nerves. :lol:

That's awesome. I am going to bring my bright orange Southpark pyjamas (or as my husband calls them.... those cussing kids.... lol) and think of this whenever I start to lose my last nerve. What's even funnier is that I could never say anything like that because his father is a minister and his mother is a deacon in the church. I talk to myself a lot when I'm there. <_<

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

:o

it's worse than i thought. This calls for drastic measures. need to smuggle drinks in to your room and get a club for the door.

:o

I do that! :lol: I get my husband or my SIL to sneak some glasses into the bedroom while I keep their mother occupied and then we all meet back there and have a chat and a glass of wine. Their mother probably thinks her son has married the devil but their father thinks I can do no wrong. :innocent::devil:

Oh, and my husband showed me how to lock the door. :lol:

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.