*julez*

Pop

105 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
I think that most people from the US would know what I meant, but another VJer disagreed with me, so it really piqued my curiosity to try to find out if pop is as well-known as I think it is.

It used to be a pretty regional thing...in the mid-west they'd say "pop" and in the South they'd say "coke," and everywhere else they'd say soda. When I was a kid, we moved from Florida to Colorado and I got the strangest looks when I said "pop." Now I think most everyone everywhere would know what you're talking about.

Here's a cool "Soda vs Pop" map:

http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2008/08/1...op-vs-soda-map/

That's actually the map in another post that fueled this current discussion!

Do you think most people would know what pop meant, even if they're from a soda, coke or whatever area of the US?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Do you think most people would know what pop meant, even if they're from a soda, coke or whatever area of the US?

Yes. Unless they've never traveled outside of their community and also never watched television. 'Pop' is common knowledge.

I will admit that I didn't understand that tennis shoes were the same thing as sneakers until I moved to NC though. :blush:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
It used to be a pretty regional thing...in the mid-west they'd say "pop" and in the South they'd say "coke," and everywhere else they'd say soda. When I was a kid, we moved from Florida to Colorado and I got the strangest looks when I said "pop." Now I think most everyone everywhere would know what you're talking about.

I was going to point out the same three names, as I've lived in all three different areas.

Calling everything a "coke" is just weird to me!

"Can I have a coke?"

"Sure... what kind of coke do you want?"

"Let me have a Dr. Pepper!"

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
If I were at a party at your house, and you asked me what I'd like to drink and I, in turn, ask you what kind of pop you have, would you know what I was referring to?

We call it soda in these parts.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Timeline
I don't like RC

then don't ask for a coke in the South....LOL

I really don't get the coke thing...if you asked me for a coke here, I'd bring you a coke without further questioning you!

I get soda, soft drink and pop, of course...but Coke as a catchall for all kinds of pop.... :blink: ...its just weird.

If I were at a party at your house, and you asked me what I'd like to drink and I, in turn, ask you what kind of pop you have, would you know what I was referring to?

Right. But you do know what pop is, if someone uses the term?

Filed: Timeline
I really don't get the coke thing...if you asked me for a coke here, I'd bring you a coke without further questioning you!

I get soda, soft drink and pop, of course...but Coke as a catchall for all kinds of pop.... :blink: ...its just weird.

It's like asking for a kleenex or scotch tape. In the South, "coke" is just a brand name that's been diluted to encompass any soda.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
I don't like RC

then don't ask for a coke in the South....LOL

Right. But you do know what pop is, if someone uses the term?

Yes,because I have relatives in Ohio and Missouri who say "pop" instead of soda.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Timeline

It's like asking for a kleenex or scotch tape. In the South, "coke" is just a brand name that's been diluted to encompass any soda.

Well, I hear what you say, but Coke is just Coke. If you ask for a Coke, but really wanted a Cherry Coke or Pepsi, it doesn't make sense. If you ask for scotch tape, I'll give you thin, transparent tape, not packing tape, or electrical tape. And if you ask me for a Kleenex, I'll give you a tissue, not a sheet of toilet paper ro whatever. I, personally, don't think "coke" trnanslates into a general term as well as the other brands you cite.

And a band-aid! Another great example!

Filed: Timeline
Well, I hear what you say, but Coke is just Coke. If you ask for a Coke, but really wanted a Cherry Coke or Pepsi, it doesn't make sense. If you ask for scotch tape, I'll give you thin, transparent tape, not packing tape, or electrical tape. And if you ask me for a Kleenex, I'll give you a tissue, not a sheet of toilet paper ro whatever. I, personally, don't think "coke" trnanslates into a general term as well as the other brands you cite.

And a band-aid! Another great example!

Heh. Well...it's you against the entire Southern United States if you care to take that on. Start in Miami and work your way North. :lol:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, I would know what you mean a soda :devil:

It is very regional, but everyone should know the major ones like pop or coke. Now, if you asked for a fizzy, i'd have to guess a bit at that one.