*julez*

Pop

105 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Augh, I hate it when people call it pop. I grew up in New York and all my life I said "soda", not even "soda pop". Then we moved to Vegas and that's when the whole "pop" issue got outta hand. Then on top of that we drove through Tennessee and stopped at a restaurant, I told the waitress I wanted a Coke for a drink and then she said "Ok, do you want Sprite, Dr. Pepper, Coke, Diet Coke?" I said no and this went on like 3 times until I made it clear I wanted a Coca-Cola. Then a friend of mine told me that in the South people call ALL sodas Coke, you just need to tell them which one. Is that weird or what?!!! :lol:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Yes I'd know what pop is, and I'd know we were from different parts of the country. :P We just call it soda.

Edited by Parivar CSK

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Interesting.. from my experience here in CT when I say pop in general conversation I get this strange awkward look from the person I'm speaking to.. (it happens with other words too), and when I see the look and feel the pause in understanding as it were, I rewind in my mind and try to figure out what the HECK I said wrong.. as soon as I say "I mean .. soda".. i get the "oh okay" look of relief. Perhaps the word is familiar but when it's used in conversation most people around here that I know don't seem to get the meaning.

They know, they're just being jerks. I'd just say, You know...pop..the beverage? Make them look the fool that they are. Damn Connecticutties, or whatever they call themselves. :P

That'd be Nutmeggers :)

I never knew that! And NEVER would have guessed. Thanks! :star:

yep strange huh? Apparently CT is the nutmeg state... who knew :unsure:

An off shoot of this conversation, I have yet to find another place that calls sandwiches grinders. Grinders = subs in CT (or at least where i grew up there). I havent heard of anyone else using this term.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
An off shoot of this conversation, I have yet to find another place that calls sandwiches grinders. Grinders = subs in CT (or at least where i grew up there). I havent heard of anyone else using this term.

So what do they call Subway? Grinderway? "Grinderway! Eat fresh!" :lol:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Diana

They call them hoagies in western mass.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Where I am in Florida is a melting pot of some Northerners...I know them by sub, hoagy, and hero. Have rarely heard grinder though.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Diana

Nooo they call it subway - but when I was young I would ask my mom for "a grinder from Subway" though! It will never be a sub to me :no:

I wonder if it was the greek influence? All the restaurants were greek in my town (no italian pizza either - but tons of greek pizza places!!)

Edited by LaL

Filed: Timeline
I wonder if it was the greek influence? All the restaurants were greek in my town (no italian pizza either - but tons of greek pizza places!!)

I first read that as "I wonder if it was the geek influence..." and I thought "if it was the geek influence, you'd be calling them sammiches, as in "hey man, can you make me a sammich while you're up? I'd do it myself but I'm running a Molten Core raid!"

I grew up near Boston saying "soda" but knew a lot of people who called it "tonic" ("taw-nik"). Of course, in Southie, sodas = beers, as in, "Weeyah goin' to the gaaden to have a cupla sodas."

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: Timeline

You kids and your fancy names. Back in my day we just called it "sarsaparilla." We only got it once a year because the wagons had to fight through injun country to get it to us. And we only had one flavor and every now and then we'd find a rat or a finger in our bottle (that we had to open with the only set of [shared] teeth in town), and then we'd all fight over who got to eat it because that's how poor we were. And we were happy dammit!

Eh, every Canuck knows "pop" means soda :lol:

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

It took me few yr to figure out what finger chips were, now i give up and just call them finger chips

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep it's grinder central here in CT.. strange name for meat on a bun.. I think... :whistle: But no more strange then calling pizza a "pie"

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen