Sign in to follow this  
Imua

An eye for an eye, literally

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/12/14/...tice/index.html

Iranian to be blinded with acid for doing same to woman

TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- An Iranian woman, blinded by a jilted stalker who threw acid in her face, has persuaded a court to sentence him to be blinded with acid himself under Islamic law demanding an eye for an eye.

Ameneh Bahrami refused to accept "blood money." She insisted instead that her attacker suffer a fate similar to her own "so people like him would realize they do not have the right to throw acid in girls' faces," she told the Tehran Provincial Court.

Her attacker, a 27-year-old man identified in court papers as Majid, admitted throwing acid in her face in November 2004, blinding and disfiguring her. He said he loved her and insisted she loved him as well.

He has until early this week to appeal the sentence.

Doctors say there is no chance Bahrami will recover her vision, despite repeated operations, including medical care in Spain partially paid for by Iran's reformist former president, Mohammed Khatami, who was in power when the attack took place.

Majid said he was still willing to marry Bahrami, but she ruled out the possibility and urged that he remain locked up.

"I am not willing to get blood money from the defendant, who is still thinking about destroying me and wants to take my eyes out," she told the court. "How could he pretend to be in love? If they let this guy go free, he will definitely kill me."

Bahrami told the court that Majid's mother had repeatedly tried to arrange a marriage between the two after Majid met Bahrami at university.

She rejected the offer, not even sure at first who the suitor was. Her friends told her he was a man who had once harassed her in class, leading to an argument between them.

But he refused to accept her rejection, she said, going to her workplace and threatening her.

Finally, she lied and told him she had married someone else and that "it would be better all around if he would leave [her] alone."

She told the court that she reported the conversation to police, saying he had threatened her with "burning for the rest of my life" -- but they said they could not act until a crime had been committed.

Two days later, on November 2, 2004, as she was walking home from work, she became aware of a man following her. She slowed, then stopped to let him pass.

"When the person came close, I realized that it was Majid," she said. "Everything happened in a second. He was holding a red container in his hand. He looked into my eyes for a second and threw the contents of the red container into my face."

Bahrami knew exactly what was happening, she said.

"At that moment, I saw in my mind the face of two sisters who years ago had the same thing happen to them. I thought, 'Oh, my God -- acid.' "

Passers-by tried to wash the acid off Bahrami, then took her to Labafinejad Hospital.

"They did everything possible for me," she said of the doctors and nurses there.

Then, one day, they asked her to sign papers allowing them to operate on her.

"I said, 'Do you want to take my eyes out?' The doctor cried and left."

They did want to remove her eyes surgically, she learned, for fear they would become infected, potentially leading to a fatal infection of her brain.

But she refused to allow it, both because she was not sure she could handle it psychologically, and because she thought her death would be easier for her family to bear.

"If I had died, my family would probably be sad for a year and mourn my death, and then they would get used to it," she told the court. "But now every day they look at me and see that I am slowly wasting away."

The three-judge panel ruled unanimously on November 26 that Majid should be blinded with acid and forced to pay compensation for the injuries to Bahrami's face, hands and body caused by the acid.

That was what she had demanded earlier in the trial. But she did not ask for his face to be disfigured, as hers was.

"Of course, only blind him and take his eyes, because I cannot behave the way he did and ask for acid to be thrown in his face," she said. "Because that would be [a] savage, barbaric act. Only take away his sight so that his eyes will become like mine. I am not saying this from a selfish motive. This is what society demands."

Attacking women and girls by throwing acid in their faces is sufficiently common in countries such as Bangladesh and Cambodia that groups have been formed to fight it. Human rights organizations have condemned the practice in Afghanistan and Pakistan. It is not clear how often such attacks take place in Iran.

Iran and Saudi Arabia are the only countries that consider eye-gouging to be a legitimate judicial punishment, Human Rights Watch has said.

CNN's Shirzad Bozorgmehr contributed to this report.

As someone who sees with one eye and am having my good eye operated on in less than 2 days, I don't think the sentence is too harsh. There is nothing more frightening than to feel that you will lose your sight... I consider my sight more valuable than my life, because without sight I would not want to live any longer.

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

IF he indeed looses his eyes, it would serve two functions.

1. some measure of justice would be found.

2. I can't think of a better long-term method of making others think, before they do such a barbaric thing to another person.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This just sickens me. How people can be so cruel to one another, it's awful.

Acid, how horrible! My heart goes out to these women, as well as my prayers.

Timeline:

3/11/08 I 129 F filed

3/20/08 NOA1

6/20/08 NOA2

7/05/08 Packet 3

12/22/08 Interview

12/29/08 Visa Delivered

1/26/08 POE

3/20/08 Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Why the outrage? We're really not so far away from that.

No outrage here. Gotta love this kind of justice :thumbs:

Have no issues with the justice - he deserves what he gives. Have issues with the original actions. And yes, I have issues with the actions of nitwits over here that beat people to death due to their own insecurities and the white sheet wearing loons as well as many other violent offenders.

They all leave me sick to my stomach.

Timeline:

3/11/08 I 129 F filed

3/20/08 NOA1

6/20/08 NOA2

7/05/08 Packet 3

12/22/08 Interview

12/29/08 Visa Delivered

1/26/08 POE

3/20/08 Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Why the outrage? We're really not so far away from that.

No outrage here. Gotta love this kind of justice :thumbs:

:thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Majid said he was still willing to marry Bahrami, but she ruled out the possibility and urged that he remain locked up.

:blink:

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
IF he indeed looses his eyes, it would serve two functions.

1. some measure of justice would be found.

2. I can't think of a better long-term method of making others think, before they do such a barbaric thing to another person.

So you admire Sharia law?

Timeline
Saddam's system of justice in Iraq was similar....but we labeled it unjust torture and invaded Iraq to stop his madness.

Careful - before long someone will come along and accuse you of having sympathy for criminals. It tends to be the way with these things.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Saddam's system of justice in Iraq was similar....but we labeled it unjust torture and invaded Iraq to stop his madness.

Careful - before long someone will come along and accuse you of having sympathy for criminals. It tends to be the way with these things.

There are the hardliners....and then there are people who just need to wake up to what they are saying.

Timeline

There are the hardliners....and then there are people who just need to wake up to what they are saying.

I dunno about hardliners - they're definitely idiots.