An eye for an eye, literally

51 posts in this topic

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Why the outrage? We're really not so far away from that.

No outrage here. Gotta love this kind of justice :thumbs:

It is an act of vengeance...not justice.

I agree but it depends on who you ask. He'd tell you it's justice.

caveman.jpg

lol...and how I can save on my insurance.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I agree but it depends on who you ask. He'd tell you it's justice.

caveman.jpg

lol...and how I can save on my insurance.

Sadism and car insurance. Together at last :lol:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

So what would be justice? Are justice and vengeance always completely separate categories with no overlap? What about the concept of retributive justice?

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Timeline

So what would be justice? Are justice and vengeance always completely separate categories with no overlap? What about the concept of retributive justice?

Conceptually perhaps. But I guess it really depends on what principles you want the justice system to exemplify. The problem with this kind of thing is that it involves someone carrying out a fundamentally barbaric act on another human being on behalf of the justice system and the general public.

As I say I do think somewhat it ironic that people here decry the actions of terrorists and the poor treatment of women in middle eastern countries - as a barometer of the US' moral superiority. Yet as soon as there's a piece about some heinous crime - there's no shortage of people screaming for blood.

I guess we're not all that different after all..

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Conceptually perhaps. But I guess it really depends on what principles you want the justice system to exemplify. The problem with this kind of thing is that it involves someone carrying out a fundamentally barbaric act on another human being on behalf of the justice system and the general public.

As I say I do think somewhat it ironic that people here decry the actions of terrorists and the poor treatment of women in middle eastern countries - as a barometer of the US' moral superiority. Yet as soon as there's a piece about some heinous crime - there's no shortage of people screaming for blood.

The actions of terrorists against innocent victims and the abominable treatment of women are distinct from the punishment of the wicked. On the one hand are innocents who need to be protected and deserve justice when they are victimized; on the other hand are the guilty who should be punished.

How are innocent victims to receive justice? Or is it no longer to be believed that they should get justice?

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Timeline

Like slavery, the modern world has progressed beyond that form of vengeance as justice.

Timeline

The actions of terrorists against innocent victims and the abominable treatment of women are distinct from the punishment of the wicked. On the one hand are innocents who need to be protected and deserve justice when they are victimized; on the other hand are the guilty who should be punished.

How are innocent victims to receive justice? Or is it no longer to be believed that they should get justice?

You honestly think that you can reasonably make such a distinction? What these point is surely about human rights - affording all people a reasonable standard of treatment and basic dignity.

Incidentally at the hearing of Khalid Sheik Mohammed the other day - some relatives of the 9/11 attacks were invited to attend, and this one lady was explaining on the news that she didn't want the guy to receive the death penalty, because it would undermine our country's values. That's really the point I'm making here.

What I object to - in regards to death sentences, or in this case - physical mutilation - is this assumed idea that without barbaric punishments there cannot be justice. I think that's fundamentally wrong - and in cases like this its simply a way for people to justify armchair bloodlust without having to question the morality of the position.

Edited by Paul Daniels

Filed: Timeline

I guess we're not all that different after all...

It's just good savages vs. bad savages then.

Timeline

WWJD?

Timeline

WWJD?

Put on the leather apron and hood, break out the pliers and fire up the blowtorch.

One thing I don't like about Sharia law is that it is not apply equally/fairly between the sexes.

I think she is doing this for the other women who may find themselves in her place. Money is nothing in comparison to what she suffered. And if other men think they can buy their way out of similar consequences, they will continue to do so.

I think it is superb that she has turned the tables on the establishment rather than behave how they expected.

One thing I don't like about Sharia law is that it is not apply equally/fairly between the sexes.

I think she is doing this for the other women who may find themselves in her place. Money is nothing in comparison to what she suffered. And if other men think they can buy their way out of similar consequences, they will continue to do so.

I think it is superb that she has turned the tables on the establishment rather than behave how they expected.

Careful. You may get your own Fatwa leveled against you.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG