NickD

What kind of luggage to buy?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Never thought this would be a debate about buying new luggage, with 60% and an additional 20% off coupon, yesterday seemed to be the day to get new luggage. We didn't buy anything.

Wife sure liked the Samsonite new Cordoba line. But even with all those discounts, was still over 400 bucks for three pieces, a 22, 25, and a 29". Told her luxury luggage was like driving a luxury car. My idea of a luxury car is a 1982 rusted out Ford pickup with a new engine and drivetrain, and even lots of mud on the tires so you can't tell they are brand new. When you park this thing, other cars will stay far away from fear of contamination, and also give you lots of clearance when driving because people think you don't have liability insurance. Also a cop won't stop you, look so dammed poor, won't be able to pay for a traffic ticket.

But with a new luxury car, everything dang parked car will ram their doors into your baby and is a prime target for shopping carts. The same with luggage, can just see a baggage handler dropping your shiny brand new Cordoba ten feet down off the plane, just for laughs. She also liked those spinners as they call them, four plastic caster wheels on the bottom, said, been there, done that, the very first things to break off.

While in Venezuela, she found more goodies to bring home, found a real nice carton to pack them into, then saw a beat up old carton that was ready for the trash a long time ago, and put that nice box inside of that. The airlines took good care of that box.

While I agreed to buy the Cordobas, she took off to look at shoes, but I read the wrong sales sign and the price was 130 bucks more than I expected, someone moved the sales sign to the wrong location. Told the clerk, better check with my wife first, she said, let's keep on looking. I did pick up a bag for myself, a 28" for twenty bucks, seems study enough, and if they wreck it, who cares, but doesn't have a fancy nametag on it.

Ha, poor girl, spends hours in the shoe store trying to find what she likes at the right price, couldn't find anything. I walk in and find a pair of Dr. Scholls walking shoes approved by the March of Dimes no less with a regular price of 60 bucks marked down to 15 bucks that fit me perfectly in about one minute. So I purchased those, at that price, can wear them for picking up my dog #######. She didn't buy anything.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

HAL 9000 tries flying carry-on mostly; so he takes a 50-60L backpack on board.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Timeline

Hmm re the suitcase - I did invest around $300 in a large Delsey suitcase (soft) with 4 wheels and I have had it for over 5 years now. It had been on about 30+ with me and it's still in top condition.

Everytime I pick it up from the baggage carousel (after spotting it easily since mine is grey and everyone elses seems to be black), I think it was worth spending the money on it. It's functional, the wheels run smoothly even when the suitcase weighs 70lbs. and it looks fine.

I had cheap suitcases before and usually one wheel falls off or the handle breaks or the zippers pop. It's really worth buying a suitcase a little more expensive, since they last. :D

Back to the store - now! :lol:

Timeline
HAL 9000 tries flying carry-on mostly; so he takes a 50-60L backpack on board.

Ha, I can get by like that, but have to ask the wife, are we just visiting or moving?

buy cheap = buy twice !!

You can't go wrong with Tumi luggage. Lasts forever. When my brother was visiting here in September, he had a spending spree and had to buy an additional piece of luggage to return home with all his items. He picked up a large Delsey hard case in Macys for $129 - total bargain. My vote is definitely Tumi though.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

army duffle bags. :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My short comment is to skip buying anything bigger than a 25" bag unless you like paying excess baggage xharges or will be carrying a lot of popcorn.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
army duffel bags. :thumbs:

LOL, recalled those days when everything you owned was packed in that duffel bag, then when you got there, had a heck of a large cleaning bill you had to pay to get all of those uniforms cleaned and pressed for proper inspection, every button had to be buttoned. They let me keep my bag, but gave it away when I got my discharge, never wanted to see that bag again.

We are still shopping, did see some luggage designed for overhead storage, thin and small enough so you can carry it with you. That makes a huge difference in coming back when all the luggage is sent to a central point in any of the airports. A major traffic jam, last time we had to wait over an hour, and that last bag took forever. By that time, the lines were super long, and have to haul all that stuff a half a mile away for reinspection. If just hauling carry on, we could have bypassed that step and walked right on through. With some 300 odd people on a plane, they want to design planes that carry a thousand! What are they thinking?

Another pain in the butt is traveling from sub zero to tropical climates or vice versa, have to bring extra stuff along or either freeze or sweat to death. Still do not know when coming back, why our luggage has to be inspected twice, but it does, and the more you have, the greater a pain in the butt it is.

If I can only convince my wife, we should travel naked, just carrying our passports and a credit card.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

we have done a lot of traveling over seas since i was little, we tried the hard luggage and in the end we purchase the luggage that is soft like the stuff tents used to be made of, zipper closing with wheels at one end of the luggage...u would be surprised at what u can fit into one of those kind of the same as a duffel bag but with a zipper.

we tried to use the ones that have a zipper on the top instead of down the front they didn't last but a few trips what we use now we have been using for the last seven years, have never had anything stolen, nothing destroyed, anything that is delicate we hand carry on board and put it storage above us.........

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
If I can only convince my wife, we should travel naked, just carrying our passports and a credit card.

might make the security check faster - no shoes to take off :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I fly usually twice a week and I am with Hal I like to take carry on. (I'm a woman and can pack efficiently)

I ended up buying some excellent luggage. Its not the most expensive on the planet, but is very hardy and I think quite stylish. Tripp Chocolate Circle Collection But before that with maybe one major suitcase trip a year I have to admit to hand me downs and Charity Shop bargains

Shipping container--that's the only way it will have adequate capacity. :lol:

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Cheapest, they way the baggage handlers treat them I wouldn't worry too much on buying something expensive that will get beaten

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have a cheap, bright pink one, that way I don't care if it gets thrown around and I can see it easily at baggage reclaim. I hate pink though.