Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I was looking at the Embassy Site and noticed that they say the K1 is processed as an IMMIGRANT visa, then tell us to fill out DS-160. However the link they provide shows something else entirely (see links below). Which one does the embassy accept?

1. On the Nairobi US Embassy Site the Visa it says to fill out the

DS-160 form

http://nairobi.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas/visa-packets.html

2. ON the DOS Site it says something completely different. (see bottom

of webpage).

http://evisaforms.state.gov/default.asp

First time I'm seeing the evisaforms website....we filled out the DS-160 form and have an interview (sept 30th) and a medical (Sept 5th....tomorrow) set up. For the medical to be setup we needed to submit copies of the DS-160 (just the page with the bar code). So far so good.

Good Luck David....and if you find out that the DS-160 is the wrong form...which I don't think it is, please post here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

hello all,

i have been reading here some of the Interview experiences of beneficiary's with the Kenyan embassy.

I have read many things and want to be sure we have all the required documents, since she will be traveling 20 hours by bus with a 3 year old.

We want to do this only once... It is my understanding that she needs police certificate with fingerprints- Where is this in Uganda? how does she get it?

also proof she was never married = a letter from the court Where is this in Uganda? how does she get it?

also proof that she is the legal guardian of the child= from the court.. where is this in Uganda? how does she get it?

also a letter from the biological father allowing her to travel with the child with a copy of the fathers id card..

i would most gratefully appreciate any insight in this since much of the info i read was from years ago..

i hope someone who had a similar situation with the same embassy please answer ..

thank you so much Ricci Good luck to all at all your stages in your journeys

I-129F Sent : 2014-08-02

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-08-07

I-129F Alien # Changed:2014-08-11

I-129F RFE(s) : none

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 :2015-02-06

I-129F NOA2 hard copy recieved: 2015-02-12

NVC Received :2015-02-19

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned :2015-02-19

NVC Left : 2015-02-24

Consulate Received : 2015-03-02

Packet 3 Received :2015-03-02

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Second Interview (If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

First time I'm seeing the evisaforms website....we filled out the DS-160 form and have an interview (sept 30th) and a medical (Sept 5th....tomorrow) set up. For the medical to be setup we needed to submit copies of the DS-160 (just the page with the bar code). So far so good.

Good Luck David....and if you find out that the DS-160 is the wrong form...which I don't think it is, please post here.

Hi,

Hope all went well with your medical appointment. Kindly share the experience here.

Good luck with your interview.

Timeline

Hi,

Hope all went well with your medical appointment. Kindly share the experience here.

Good luck with your interview.

Medical Appt was at 7:30....my fiancee' arrived at 7:05 and waited a short time. There was another lady going thru the same process with her from Nakuru. My fiancee had everything but they said the passport pictures were the wrong size (geez I can't believe we screwed that up). They told her that for part 2 of the medical, which is Monday, she will need the correct size photos. Thankfully they let her proceed. They said the consulate will not be as nice. Other than that my fiancee said she got some shots, they did some x-rays, took some blood and it was a lot of waiting around. She said they were very nice to her and things went fairly smoothly.

It was raining and she said the gal from Nakuru offered her a ride to the bank to pay the fee and a ride all the way home....my gal lives in Regen/White House area past Kinoo. So that was very very nice of the gal. The total cost for my fiancee and her son was 38,000KSh, which was a lil bit less than we thought. So far so good...keeping our fingers crossed for Monday. My gal said 2 other things....the medical bldg is a long walk from the bank. They actually drove over. And finally the part I found humorous...the gal from Nakuru, her fiance is a Kenyan living in Chicago, and she told my gal that Mzungu's in the US are not nice to Africans. Sadly I hope that is not true. I know everyone I know better treat my lady with respect and kindness. Most of my friends and family are very much looking forward to her arriving.

John and Liz

Edited by johnmcgraw49

Timeline

Medical Appt was at 7:30....my fiancee' arrived at 7:05 and waited a short time. There was another lady going thru the same process with her from Nakuru. My fiancee had everything but they said the passport pictures were the wrong size (geez I can't believe we screwed that up). They told her that for part 2 of the medical, which is Monday, she will need the correct size photos. Thankfully they let her proceed. They said the consulate will not be as nice. Other than that my fiancee said she got some shots, they did some x-rays, took some blood and it was a lot of waiting around. She said they were very nice to her and things went fairly smoothly.

It was raining and she said the gal from Nakuru offered her a ride to the bank to pay the fee and a ride all the way home....my gal lives in Regen/White House area past Kinoo. So that was very very nice of the gal. The total cost for my fiancee and her son was 38,000KSh, which was a lil bit less than we thought. So far so good...keeping our fingers crossed for Monday. My gal said 2 other things....the medical bldg is a long walk from the bank. They actually drove over. And finally the part I found humorous...the gal from Nakuru, her fiance is a Kenyan living in Chicago, and she told my gal that Mzungu's in the US are not nice to Africans. Sadly I hope that is not true. I know everyone I know better treat my lady with respect and kindness. Most of my friends and family are very much looking forward to her arriving.

John and Liz

Glad the medical went on smooth. She needs to get a 2x2 passport size photos, and yes, the Embassy will not be nice to her if she doesn't have them. Have you sent her the other evidence for the interview day?

Mzungu's in the US are not nice to Africans............ :rolleyes::D

Timeline

Glad the medical went on smooth. She needs to get a 2x2 passport size photos, and yes, the Embassy will not be nice to her if she doesn't have them. Have you sent her the other evidence for the interview day?

Mzungu's in the US are not nice to Africans............ :rolleyes::D

I haven't emailed it yet....Her interview is on Sept. 30th. She has almost everything she needs except the I-134.

John

Timeline

I haven't emailed it yet....Her interview is on Sept. 30th. She has almost everything she needs except the I-134.

John

You cannot email the I-134. It has to have your original signature, unless things has changed at the Consulate and one can is allowed to show a copy of the I-134.

Edited by Nyosh

Timeline

You cannot email the I-134. It has to have your original signature, unless things has changed at the Consulate and one can is allowed to show a copy of the I-134.

I just realized that today....printed it and signed it. Going to try to send by Thursday, Sept 11. She needs to get it by Sept. 29th....hopefully 17 days will be enough if I send it thru FedEx or DHL.

Any idea how long it takes thru FedEx or DHL???

Timeline

I just realized that today....printed it and signed it. Going to try to send by Thursday, Sept 11. She needs to get it by Sept. 29th....hopefully 17 days will be enough if I send it thru FedEx or DHL.

Any idea how long it takes thru FedEx or DHL???

It will depend with how you send it. If you use "Express" (like urgent mail) it will be delivered in Kenya in about three to five days. But you can confirm with FedEx or DHL offices and they will let you know how long its going to be. Hoping your fiancée has a reliable address where it will be sent to.

Timeline

John and Liz

No offence but what is your friend still doing in the US IF the mzungus are not nice to Africans? These kinds of comments serve no useful purpose!!!

Timeline

No offence but what is your friend still doing in the US IF the mzungus are not nice to Africans? These kinds of comments serve no useful purpose!!!

David....

I don't know the woman or her kenyan-american fiance. But my gal was already concerned about this issue, so when a women she met at the medical said her fiance stated this, it made the topic come up again....about whether americans will treat her with respect or not. And I haven't spent much time around any immigrant...but I do know that many americans can be cruel, especially toward things that are "different" so I do in fact it serves a useful experience.

So my question to Kenyans to have come to this country...not just kenyans but any Africa...how have Americans treated you once you have settled here? I think this question does serve a useful purpose...I sorry you feel differently.

Timeline

John and Liz

John,

Thanks so much for the update! I will be following your case closely as it mirrors the journey we will beginning soon. Any advice you can give to this Mzungu would be greatly appreciated!!

Kevin

Timeline

David....

I don't know the woman or her kenyan-american fiance. But my gal was already concerned about this issue, so when a women she met at the medical said her fiance stated this, it made the topic come up again....about whether americans will treat her with respect or not. And I haven't spent much time around any immigrant...but I do know that many americans can be cruel, especially toward things that are "different" so I do in fact it serves a useful experience.

So my question to Kenyans to have come to this country...not just kenyans but any Africa...how have Americans treated you once you have settled here? I think this question does serve a useful purpose...I sorry you feel differently.

Thanks for the reply. Hey I am from Kenya too AND have been discriminated in Kenya AND Uganda*** (I am not black African),...so it happens....then here as well. As long as you put things into perspective things will be ok. Bascially to me, most human beings are 'nasty'...what can I tell you. Look at history. Its the good ones (like many on here) that make the difference..hope it helps.

*** Think along the lines of Idi Amin here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello VJ's,

My interview date is scheduled on the 28th Oct 2014

I'm waiting for IOM to schedule my medical exams.

So many things to worry about that trip.

i am still looking for accommodation, as all this process might take two weeks, hotel cost a fortune$$.

If someone has experienced and know a nice and secure place not far from the embassy please send me the address because the longer i wait the more expensive it will get.

Will appreciate if someone can help!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hi everyone,

We just got Case Complete from NVC on Sept 16 (wahoo!!). I had to call in to get that information, but the person I spoke to wouldn't give me much information about next steps. I believe we just have to wait for the interview appointment letter? Will we get any communication about when they send our file to Nairobi?

My husband is in Uganda. How long did it take you all to get an interview scheduled in Nairobi from the time your case was completed? And is there anything we can do in the meantime to get things ready?

Any tips are much appreciated!

Dec 5, 2012: Married in Gulu, Uganda
May 1, 2013: Mailed I-130 package
May 3, 2013: NOA1 priority date (Overland Park, KS)
Dec 4, 2013: File Transferred to NSC

Feb 9, 2014: NOA2

Feb 24, 2014: NVC Received

Mar 31, 2014: Case number assigned & AOS Bill paid

Apr 4, 2014: IV Bill received

Apr 12, 2014: IV Bill Paid

May 30, 2014: Sent both IV and AOS packages

Jun 6, 2014: IV/AOS received at NVC

Jul 17, 2014: AOS Check list received

Jul 18, 2014: Check list response mailed

Sept 16, 2014: Case Complete!!!

Oct 8, 2014: Received Interview Date

Nov 13-14, 2014: Medical Review - Approved!

Nov 19, 2014: Interview in Nairobi - APPROVED!!!!

Dec 18, 2014: POE - Atlanta, GA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.