Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Please call them and confirm, if that's what the advice sheet says. Ask also the means of payment and if you will be allowed to pay on your appointment day. I did my medical back in 2010 and I paid for it on the day of appointment. Things might have changed.

Hi Nyosh,

Yes, I understand that things have changed slightly and payment is now a medicals prerequisite.

pdnov142012,

In the meantime (before they respond to your email), please see page 93 of this thread (the posts from July 15, 2013) http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/160251-nairobi-embassy-thread/page-93 and also page 96 for the well detailed message by klrm (k and r) posted on August 8, 2013 http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/160251-nairobi-embassy-thread/page-96 It seems payment is now required before medicals and this is to be deposited in a recommended bank upon assessment of the amount payable.

Best wishes!

K1 visa journey

1/10/12 - NOA1
6/ 8 /12 - NOA2
6/20/12 - Received at NVC
6/21/12 - Assigned case number and sent to consulate
6/25/12 - Received at Nairobi Embassy
6/27/12 - Email from Nairobi Embassy (packet 3/instructions)
8/22/12 - Interview - APPROVED
8/29/12 - Received visa
10/14/12 - POE (Boston)
12/12/12 - Wedding ❤❤❤

AOS/EAD/AP

1/18/13 - Package delivered at Chicago lockbox
1/24/13 - NOA1 (email and text)for AOS/EAD/AP
1/25/13 - Received biometrics appointment letter and NOA1s letters
2/12/13 - Biometrics at 1.00pm (Lawrence, MA)
3/15/13 - EAD/AP approved, 3/21/13 mailed
3/23/13 - Received EAD/AP combo

8/27/13 - AOS approved & subsequent card production ordered (no interview)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi Nyosh,

Yes, I understand that things have changed slightly and payment is now a medicals prerequisite.

Hi G & Oxy,

Thanks for that clarification.

They keep changing stuff around :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello I wanted to check what to expect at the Embassy in Nairobi for the K 1 interview. Right now the petition is with the NVC. Do they email the information my fiancé requires?

Timeline

David the do email you if you have provided your email address. However, all you need is your documents get to the embassy. after that all the information is available in the Embassy's site. Actually what the embassy email is a link to the website.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hello I wanted to check what to expect at the Embassy in Nairobi for the K 1 interview. Right now the petition is with the NVC. Do they email the information my fiancé requires?

They might email you the link below! Good luck to you!

http://nairobi.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas/visa-packets.html

Timeline

Ok, I first submitted my I-129F almost a year ago....Finally we are at the point of scheduling medical and interview....

I have a few questions.

1. How much documentation is "enough" to prove our relationship....we have about 6 or 7 pictures together from my 2 trips to kenya. We also have tons of pages of chats (yahoo and Facebook). We can print more pictures if we need to. We have probably 100 pix together that we have posted on FB. What else should we bring??? My fiance knows me well and the few questions that we found that she didnt know (like what town was I born in), we went over that info so she knows it now. Any insight as to how much they critique this....I believe we will be fine here, we have been "dating/in a relationship" for almost 2 yrs now and we talk multiple hours EVERYDAY.

2. I am a college basketball coach. i lost my job last year and took a part time coaching gig and I barely make any money at my "job". I also started a business running some tournaments and my events did really well this year....I made close to $70,000 this july, but I have yet to make it an "official" business which I plan on doing this week. I have close to $60,000 in the bank but no real documents as of now, showing where that money came from. I have a friend willing to be my co-sponsor, who is a school teacher. Again....not sure which direction I should go and or how much "paperwork" is enough. My friend is willing to do the I-134, get me his last yrs tax returns and his pay stubs....will that be enuff?? Will it matter if I also submit my bank account records and a I-134 myself??? Finally last year my adjusted gross income was 19,567. Should I submit my tax documents?? PLEASE ADVISE...THIS IS THE PART THAT IS MAKING ME THE MOST NERVOUS...

3. It's saying interview appts are available in 2 weeks....yet my fiance hasnt done her medical yet....should she schedule the medical first??? then schedule the interview?? they are saying schedule the interview for 2 weeks after the medical appt. Is this accurate?? We want to be done with all of this....but we want to make sure we do everything correctly.

Thanks for all your help and advice in advance

John and Liz

Edited by johnmcgraw49

Timeline

Ok, I first submitted my I-129F almost a year ago....Finally we are at the point of scheduling medical and interview....

I have a few questions.

1. How much documentation is "enough" to prove our relationship....we have about 6 or 7 pictures together from my 2 trips to kenya. We also have tons of pages of chats (yahoo and Facebook). We can print more pictures if we need to. We have probably 100 pix together that we have posted on FB. What else should we bring??? My fiance knows me well and the few questions that we found that she didnt know (like what town was I born in), we went over that info so she knows it now. Any insight as to how much they critique this....I believe we will be fine here, we have been "dating/in a relationship" for almost 2 yrs now and we talk multiple hours EVERYDAY.

Add these to the evidence:-

Airline ticket stubs (boarding passes) that include the passenger’s name, date, and flight information.

Airline ticket receipt that indicates the month, day and year of the flight ticket purchase, passenger name, and itinerary (not just the itinerary alone).

Copies of passport pages that show the identification (biographic) page and admission (entry) stamps.

Credit card receipts showing the two of you spending money at the same place and same time.

Film-dated (required) photographs of the petitioner and beneficiary together. The date that the photo was taken must have been created by the camera and appear on the actual photograph

2. I am a college basketball coach. i lost my job last year and took a part time coaching gig and I barely make any money at my "job". I also started a business running some tournaments and my events did really well this year....I made close to $70,000 this july, but I have yet to make it an "official" business which I plan on doing this week. I have close to $60,000 in the bank but no real documents as of now, showing where that money came from. I have a friend willing to be my co-sponsor, who is a school teacher. Again....not sure which direction I should go and or how much "paperwork" is enough. My friend is willing to do the I-134, get me his last yrs tax returns and his pay stubs....will that be enuff?? Will it matter if I also submit my bank account records and a I-134 myself??? Finally last year my adjusted gross income was 19,567. Should I submit my tax documents?? PLEASE ADVISE...THIS IS THE PART THAT IS MAKING ME THE MOST NERVOUS...

You will submit the I-134 that you used to file the petition --129F. You can print out bank statements and send them to your fiancée.

You also need to send her your tax returns for the last three years, (*** to confirm this one)

3. It's saying interview appts are available in 2 weeks....yet my fiance hasnt done her medical yet....should she schedule the medical first??? then schedule the interview?? they are saying schedule the interview for 2 weeks after the medical appt. Is this accurate?? We want to be done with all of this....but we want to make sure we do everything correctly.

Has she received the K-1 Visa Packet instructions from the Embassy? If yes, it should tell her when the interview is scheduled.

For the medical, she will have to schedule an appointment

Read through this thread (k and r) post has detailed information

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/160251-nairobi-embassy-thread/page-96

Thanks for all your help and advice in advance

John and Liz

Someone who has gone through the Nairobi Embassy recently, kindly share your experience here. I understand that there has been changes. Was there in 2010 and things are way different now. Thanks

Timeline

Someone who has gone through the Nairobi Embassy recently, kindly share your experience here. I understand that there has been changes. Was there in 2010 and things are way different now. Thanks

Nyosh....Thank you SOOOOO much for taking the time to offer your advice.

A few things -

1. Great advice about passport, airline boarding passes, etc etc etc as far as proof goes. Your 100% right, I need to start rounding up all of that stuff. Better safe than sorry, the more proof the safer we are.

2. I didn't have to submit an I-134 to file the petition. I haven't had to submit any financial documents so far. And I've read where I can have a co-sponsor if I make under a certain amount. Which I don't make under that....but my own business just got off the ground this summer (and I made 60-70K). I don't have proof of that becuz I haven't done taxes for this year yet and it's my own business which again I just started this spring/summer (therefore no pay stubs, no employer letter). Last year (2013) I was unemployed 1/2 the year and the other 1/2 I only made 12K....so I only have 19,567 in taxable income from 2013 of which 7K is unemployment. That's my biggest issue. I have 60,000 in the bank. The 2 previous years (2012 and 2011) I coached at a bigger college and my salary was 35,000, so I should be fine there.

3. I think things are different now-a-days....we had to pay for the visa fee upfront via Mpesa and then schedule the interview ourselves, which we did (It's Sept 30th) then we scheduled our medical appt (Sept. 5th). Thankfully we figured it out on our own before you answered.

Again thank you for replying. Please if anyone can offer their 2 cents about the financial part I would VERY VERY much appreciate it. I'd hate to get this far and get denied becuz of finances (or lack thereof) especially when I have 3 years worth of (minimum) income (requirements) currently in the bank.

Timeline

Nyosh....Thank you SOOOOO much for taking the time to offer your advice.

A few things -

1. Great advice about passport, airline boarding passes, etc etc etc as far as proof goes. Your 100% right, I need to start rounding up all of that stuff. Better safe than sorry, the more proof the safer we are.

2. I didn't have to submit an I-134 to file the petition. I haven't had to submit any financial documents so far. And I've read where I can have a co-sponsor if I make under a certain amount. Which I don't make under that....but my own business just got off the ground this summer (and I made 60-70K). I don't have proof of that becuz I haven't done taxes for this year yet and it's my own business which again I just started this spring/summer (therefore no pay stubs, no employer letter). Last year (2013) I was unemployed 1/2 the year and the other 1/2 I only made 12K....so I only have 19,567 in taxable income from 2013 of which 7K is unemployment. That's my biggest issue. I have 60,000 in the bank. The 2 previous years (2012 and 2011) I coached at a bigger college and my salary was 35,000, so I should be fine there.

3. I think things are different now-a-days....we had to pay for the visa fee upfront via Mpesa and then schedule the interview ourselves, which we did (It's Sept 30th) then we scheduled our medical appt (Sept. 5th). Thankfully we figured it out on our own before you answered.

Again thank you for replying. Please if anyone can offer their 2 cents about the financial part I would VERY VERY much appreciate it. I'd hate to get this far and get denied becuz of finances (or lack thereof) especially when I have 3 years worth of (minimum) income (requirements) currently in the bank.

You are welcome.

You will sign an I-134 because you are the petitioner. Get a statement from an officer of the bank/financial institution with your deposits, identifying the following: 1. date account opened; 2. total amount deposited for the past year; 3. present balance

Refer to this guide on visajourney and see the documents that you need to send before the interview. Also tell your fiancé to get a Certificate of Good Conduct from CID Headquarters on Kiambu Road in Kenya.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Timeline

You are welcome.

You will sign an I-134 because you are the petitioner. Get a statement from an officer of the bank/financial institution with your deposits, identifying the following: 1. date account opened; 2. total amount deposited for the past year; 3. present balance

Refer to this guide on visajourney and see the documents that you need to send before the interview. Also tell your fiancé to get a Certificate of Good Conduct from CID Headquarters on Kiambu Road in Kenya.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

We got the cert from the CID Headquarters already....

Regarding the I-134....great Idea....should I add a statement, about where all my money came from....bcuz as of right now, there's really no justification or reason all the money showed up in my acct. My tournament over a 3 day period cleared about 50Gs....see the attached pic. College Coaches paid $300 a pop to be there....and I had almost 200. So I went from having 18,000 in my acct to having 58,000 in just 3 days at the end of July, but unless I "tell" or "document" where the money came from....how would anyone know?

Again...this is why I want to have a co-sponsor...someone who has a steady job, with employer letter and pay stubs, in case the consular thinks my "assets" are questionable. I just don't want it delayed any longer. I submitted my I-129F almost a full year ago now...and we are finally getting an interview. It will be heart wrenching to get denied and have to go another year without my gal. I'd just go live in Nairobi and come back here to run my tournaments in July if it wasn't for my 9 year old son....my family would kill me if I moved him to Kenya.

post-174208-0-28977200-1409282117_thumb.jpg

Timeline

We got the cert from the CID Headquarters already....

Regarding the I-134....great Idea....should I add a statement, about where all my money came from....bcuz as of right now, there's really no justification or reason all the money showed up in my acct. My tournament over a 3 day period cleared about 50Gs....see the attached pic. College Coaches paid $300 a pop to be there....and I had almost 200. So I went from having 18,000 in my acct to having 58,000 in just 3 days at the end of July, but unless I "tell" or "document" where the money came from....how would anyone know?

Again...this is why I want to have a co-sponsor...someone who has a steady job, with employer letter and pay stubs, in case the consular thinks my "assets" are questionable. I just don't want it delayed any longer. I submitted my I-129F almost a full year ago now...and we are finally getting an interview. It will be heart wrenching to get denied and have to go another year without my gal. I'd just go live in Nairobi and come back here to run my tournaments in July if it wasn't for my 9 year old son....my family would kill me if I moved him to Kenya.

A statement from the bank showing details of your account and bank statements should do. You would need a co-sponsor at the AOS level not at the K-1 Visa level. You are supposed to show that you can take care of your fiancée and she will not become a public charge when she gets here. Just send the tax returns for at least three years and the documents on the checklist that I gave you. Also include the statement from the bank showing the details and a few bank statements for like 2011,2012,2013 such.. Of course the consular knows that people change jobs, one time you are without money and another time you have money. You should be ok. Gather all the evidence you can to support your case. If you get a co-sponsor right now, most likely your fiancée will be denied visa because you will be trying to show that you are not able to care for her.

Timeline

Ok I have a question...we just got our case number last Fri. My husband lives in the village not in Nairobi, he wants to get his Certificate of Good conduct from a local Divisional CID office. He told me that it could take up to 1-1-1/2 months depending on the number of applicants locally.

1. When is it a good time to apply knowing this and the backlog at NVC? :unsure:

2. Should he apply now or wait, if so how long? :unsure:

Thank you!

Met online 9/2012

Courtship 3/1/2013

ClockWatch2.gif

Passport for USC 6/10 thru 28/2013 19 days

First face to face meeting Nov. 4th 2013 dancin5hr.gif

Married 19 November 2013 heart.gif

:energy: USCIS-TSC

5/3/2014 Filed I-130

11/3/2014 NOA-1

24/7/2014 NOA-2 {135 days} :dancing:

12/8/2014 Case Shipped {NVC} :dancing:

:energy: NVC

20/8/2014 NVC received

29/8/2014 NVC case #

31/8/2014 DS-261 submitted

3/9/2014 NVC billed AOS & paid

19/9/2014 AOS sent

30/9/2014 IV invoiced

3/10/2014 IV paid

21/10/2014 IV package sent

21/11/2014 Case complete :dance:(L)

03/12/2014 Interview scheduled

08/12/2014 NVC shipped to Embassy "In Transit"

12/12/2014 Ceac shows "Ready"

:energy:Consulate

15/12/2014 Consulate received

07-08/01/2015 Medical {Passed!!!!}

26/01/2015 Interview results {APPROVED} :dance:(L)

26/01/2015 DHL Air Waybill created online

28/01/2015 Air Waybill shows "In Transit" :yes:

29/01/2015 Visa ready for pick up {DHL}

02/02/2015 Visa in hand

26/02/2015 POE

The warmth of true friendship and the love that binds the hearts of husband and wife are a foretaste of heaven. God has ordained that there should be perfect love and perfect harmony between those who enter into the marriage relation. Let bride and bridegroom in the presence of the heavenly universe pledge themselves to love one another as God has ordained they should. {LYL}

Thought to share our journey for those who need the encouragement!

Timeline

Ok I have a question...we just got our case number last Fri. My husband lives in the village not in Nairobi, he wants to get his Certificate of Good conduct from a local Divisional CID office. He told me that it could take up to 1-1-1/2 months depending on the number of applicants locally.

1. When is it a good time to apply knowing this and the backlog at NVC? :unsure:

2. Should he apply now or wait, if so how long? :unsure:

Thank you!

Hey,

A Certificate of Good Conduct is good for one year. He can apply now or wait a few months. Just don't apply when its too late plan ahead of time.

Good luck

Timeline

Hello, does anyone know what happens once the Embassy in Nairobi receives the I-129f from the NVC? Do they send one an email with the Case #? I already got that by calling the NVC number in Portsmouth NH

Hey,

A Certificate of Good Conduct is good for one year. He can apply now or wait a few months. Just don't apply when its too late plan ahead of time.

Good luck

Hope I can help here. The fiancé has to go personally to CID HQ in Nairobi (or Mombasa/Upcountry) and apply with their passport and two photos. In Nairobi it is 'supposed' to take 2 weeks. They then give you a Certificate valid for 6 months.

Timeline

I was looking at the Embassy Site and noticed that they say the K1 is processed as an IMMIGRANT visa, then tell us to fill out DS-160. However the link they provide shows something else entirely (see links below). Which one does the embassy accept?

1. On the Nairobi US Embassy Site the Visa it says to fill out the
DS-160 form

http://nairobi.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas/visa-packets.html

2. ON the DOS Site it says something completely different. (see bottom
of webpage).

http://evisaforms.state.gov/default.asp

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.