Imua

Really at a dead end over erroneous tax filing

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

As I stated in another thread I erroneously marked the 'single' box on my 1040EZ for 2007 - at the time I thought that you only filed as married if you were married for the whole of the previous year. Now I am very confused. If I file an amended return as married filing separately then the IRS will expect a separate 1040 from Govi even though he has never set foot in the USA and didn't earn any money at all in his name for 2007 - now it is October so obviously way after the April 15 filing deadline anyway... What would he show for W-2???? It's ridiculous.....

If I refile as married filing jointly then G needs to get an ITIN which (as I recall from a thread around tax time) is very difficult, his passport needs to be sent back and forth, etc. At this stage in the game we really don;t want to deal with any more Fed Exing besides the fortune I am already spending to send proofs and documents to him and really don't want to run the risk of his passport getting lost - at one time during the mess in Nepal the last few years the gov't wasn't issuing any more passports and with the way the NP gov't is in a transition phase who knows what could happen. :o

Honestly what have other I-130 filers done, especially if your spouse is a student or didn't have any income for 2007? :help:

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You have up to three years to correct your 2007 tax return ( unti April 15, 2011). Is there some reason you want to do it right now?

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am sorry that you are going through this. The ITIN is not that difficult to obtain, and they only need copies not the originals of the forms of Identification. And since this is an "off-peak" time for the IRS, you may be able to obtain the ITIN fairly quickly. The best route to go is the married filing jointly... the tax break is better and since he has no income in the US, it would work better in your favor...

I-130 Timeline:

12-11-2007- Married my Love

02-08-2008- CSC receives I-130

02-11-2008- Received Hardcopy NOA1

08-14-2008- Approved!!! 216 days...

08-21-2008- NOA2 Hardcopy received

08-27-2008- NVC Receives file, NVC Case Number issued

09-05-2008- AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 Generated

09-06-2008- E-mailed DS-3032 to NVC

09-11-2008- Received Hardcopy of DS-3032 and AOS Fee Bill

09-15-2008- Mailed Hardcopy of DS-3032

09-16-2008- Paid $70 AOS fee online

09-17-2008- Received E-mail confirming the DS-3032 Agent

09-17-2008- Printed Coversheet for AOS paperwork

09-17-2008- IV Bill Invoiced

12-16-2008- Sent I-864 EZ to NVC

NOW: Debating on current situation...

.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yeah, the ITIN is really easy to obtain. The passport biographic pages need to be photocopied and they need to be certified from a US Consulate or Embassy or if the country is part of the Hauge or Hague convention it can be done from a person who is authorized to certify for the US. My husband just took the ITIN application, you can get that from the IRS website, to the Consulate in Casablanca and they certified the copies of his passport along with witnessing his signature on the form itself.

Super easy to do!

Timeline
Yeah, the ITIN is really easy to obtain. The passport biographic pages need to be photocopied and they need to be certified from a US Consulate or Embassy or if the country is part of the Hauge or Hague convention it can be done from a person who is authorized to certify for the US. My husband just took the ITIN application, you can get that from the IRS website, to the Consulate in Casablanca and they certified the copies of his passport along with witnessing his signature on the form itself.

Super easy to do!

I am confused. The petitioner has to file as married even though the spouse has never been to the US? Could you please clarify this. thanks

• I-130 SENT 2-19
  • NOA1 RECEIVED 3-03
  • I-129F SENT 3-14
  • NOA1 RECEIVED 3-21
  • NOA2 RECEIVED 10-11
  • NVC CASE COMPLETE 11-21

7927.gif

Timeline

we never got the number after trying twice, i just gave up, yes u r married (for the year) even if last day of december they figure as a year

Edited by brnidokiegurl

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Timeline

Yeah, I filed Married filing separately because I claim none of his income and he has no US taxable income.

I actually didn't have his ITIN when I filed, however I had sent in the application. My tax person just put Petitioned in the section for it. My husband received the ITIN about 3 weeks after I petitioned for it.

Edited by bowlerbabe770

You have up to three years to correct your 2007 tax return ( unti April 15, 2011). Is there some reason you want to do it right now?

I am getting our documents together for the I-864 now. I wonder if I could send a copy of the 2007 form as is with the I-864 and explain that I made a mistake, we will be filing an amended return however the income is correct and we are in the process of applying for an ITIN for Govi - if all they need is a copy of the passport page then I have that already. I was under the impression that the copy actually needed to be notarized by an American notary IN THE US or IRS official who witnessed the copy being made so his passport would need to be sent to me. If he can do it in KTM embassy then that is easy.

Yeah, I filed Married filing separately because I claim none of his income and he has no US taxable income.

I actually didn't have his ITIN when I filed, however I had sent in the application. My tax person just put Petitioned in the section for it. My husband received the ITIN about 3 weeks after I petitioned for it.

Did you have to file a separate 1040 for your husband even though he had no taxable income?

Edited by Pattu Rani

I am getting our documents together for the I-864 now. I wonder if I could send a copy of the 2007 form as is with the I-864 and explain that I made a mistake, we will be filing an amended return however the income is correct and we are in the process of applying for an ITIN for Govi - if all they need is a copy of the passport page then I have that already. I was under the impression that the copy actually needed to be notarized by an American notary IN THE US or IRS official who witnessed the copy being made so his passport would need to be sent to me. If he can do it in KTM embassy then that is easy.

Did you have to file a separate 1040 for your husband even though he had no taxable income?

Patti,

I filed last year as married but filing separate - and where it asked for Kris's ITIN number since we did not have one, NRA was put instead - this was fine, so you can just amend your tax return and show that - I remember someone saying that they filed single (which is wrong) but that they had xxxx amount of months to amend that -

The reason why we did not ask for ITIN was because he filed overseas, and we would he would be getting a social here upon is arrival sometime within in the next decade (sorry sik humor) there are alot of threads on this subject so just weed thru the threads posted in April and thats pretty much what you are going to see - you do not have to get him an ITIN if filing married, but separate.

Good Luck and always God Speed!

When something goes wrong remember this saying "WHEN MAN PLANS, GOD LAUGHS"

www.orlando4obama.com

I-130 JOURNEY BEGINSSent August 28, 2007 to TSC for receipting in CSCReceived NOA1 from VSC December 21, 2007

Notes - earned USCIS skymiles for sure - postmarked from Chicago Lockbox

online finally 2/24/08

touchy feely 2/25/08

touched 2/27/2008 - great RFE requested - just wonderful news to see in your inbox early in the am

3/13 - RFE letter FINALLY received - and document that we sent NOW resent back to VSC grrrrowling

3/19 case resumed processing

3/20 touched

3./21 touched

3/23 Easter bunny touched again

4/01 - APPROVED I-130

4/02 - touched

4/07 - received hard copy approval

NVC JOURNEY BEGINS

4/07 NV Case number assigned

4/08 AOS, DS and all fees paid online

6/09 tax transcript for 2007 just became available -whoot

6/20 NVC receives everything nothing more to give them now just close eyes and pray

6/23 NVC enters into system

6/26 NVC - RFE uggh - wants all three years of Federal tax return listed and they lost originals or so they say - DING DING ROUND TWO

7/25 NVC Case completed whooottttttttt

8/7 Case forward to US EMBASSY LONDON OH YEAHHHHHHHH -

Embassy - case out for delivery to embassy via DHL sneaky us lol

08/10Received

08/19 Medical Exam completed - healthy oh yeah!!!!!!!!

9/26 @8am -Interview - approved VISA IN HAND OMG WHOOT!!! HELLO AMERICA MY LUV

POE- Atlanta then MCO - October 15th with the cat "GIT" on board lol - POE SUPER SWEET

Husband home finally - god what a journey....but after 400+ days we made it

Patti,

I filed last year as married but filing separate - and where it asked for Kris's ITIN number since we did not have one, NRA was put instead - this was fine, so you can just amend your tax return and show that - I remember someone saying that they filed single (which is wrong) but that they had xxxx amount of months to amend that -

The reason why we did not ask for ITIN was because he filed overseas, and we would he would be getting a social here upon is arrival sometime within in the next decade (sorry sik humor) there are alot of threads on this subject so just weed thru the threads posted in April and thats pretty much what you are going to see - you do not have to get him an ITIN if filing married, but separate.

Good Luck and always God Speed!

OK, thank you so much SusieK :star: - I think I will do the same as you did since I see that your visa was approved. :thumbs: This was my original plan(amended return to show married filing separately) but someone in the other thread said that Govi would also need to file a return and since it's now 6 months too late to file an original return I freaked a little - I need to watch some more funny videos on youtube since I am stressing out too much, LOL...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I don't understand much of tax system, but after reading the threads of visajourney during tax season, my husband did file as married and applied for my ITIN.

Here is what happened, he applied in April, and in August he got a letter from IRS stating they can't issue me an ITIN since I don't have a SSN, my husband still hasn't got any returns as of this date and he stopped calling IRS anymore.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
As I stated in another thread I erroneously marked the 'single' box on my 1040EZ for 2007 - at the time I thought that you only filed as married if you were married for the whole of the previous year. Now I am very confused. If I file an amended return as married filing separately then the IRS will expect a separate 1040 from Govi even though he has never set foot in the USA and didn't earn any money at all in his name for 2007 - now it is October so obviously way after the April 15 filing deadline anyway... What would he show for W-2???? It's ridiculous.....

If I refile as married filing jointly then G needs to get an ITIN which (as I recall from a thread around tax time) is very difficult, his passport needs to be sent back and forth, etc. At this stage in the game we really don;t want to deal with any more Fed Exing besides the fortune I am already spending to send proofs and documents to him and really don't want to run the risk of his passport getting lost - at one time during the mess in Nepal the last few years the gov't wasn't issuing any more passports and with the way the NP gov't is in a transition phase who knows what could happen. :o

Honestly what have other I-130 filers done, especially if your spouse is a student or didn't have any income for 2007? :help:

For those who choose to file married filing separately, whether your spouse must also file a U.S. tax return depends upon whether that spouse is considered a Resident Alien or Nonresident Alien and their level of income taxable by the United States.

Generally, Resident Aliens are treated like United States Citizens and are taxed on their worldwide income. Generally, Nonresident Aliens are taxed only on their U.S. sourced income. See Publication 519 (the 2007 version is here http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf) for the specifics on the determination on whether an individual is a Resident Alien or Nonresident Alien and whether income is U.S. sourced or not. Tax laws, IRS rules and tax treaties with individual countries, among other things, may impact the determination of income. If your non-U.S. spouse has significant income, there are complications with your individual tax situation, or you just don’t understand any of this, I would suggest contacting an accountant, other tax advisor or the free IRS helpline at 1-800-829-1040 for assistance.

Another factor to consider in the determination on whether an individual is required to file a tax return is that individual’s level of income taxable by the United States. See the instructions to Form 1040 at the section entitled “Do You Have to File†(the 2007 version is here http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf; keep in mind that both Publication 519 and these instructions may change for 2008 but these are the current versions as of today).

Generally, an individual must have at least a certain level of income before such individual is required to file a U.S. tax return. An individual may choose to file a federal tax return even if they do not meet such levels (typically to get a refund of federal taxes withheld from their income or to benefit from certain tax credits, but these situations may not apply to a foreign spouse).

For those of you considering filing jointly with your spouse who is a Nonresident Alien, you may have to include an affirmative statement with your tax return electing to choose to treat your Nonresident Alien spouse as a Resident Alien. See Publication 519 at the section entitled “Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident†for more information on this election.

If you need to obtain an ITIN, a copy of your spouse’s passport biographical page can be notarized at the U.S. embassy in that spouse’s foreign country. That was what I did and it was accepted with no problems. It does not need to be specifically notarized in the United States or by the IRS.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about filing married even though the spouse is not in the U.S. As I stated in a previous thread:

Once you are legally married to your spouse, you are married under the U.S. tax laws regardless of where the marriage took place, regardless of whether your spouse is in the U.S. or not, regardless of whether you have changed your status at work and regardless of your spouse's current immigration status. Your choices once married are either to file jointly or to file married filing separately.

As a previous commentator above stated, even if you are married only on the last day of the year, you are considered married for that year under the U.S. tax code. I was married in December of 2007. So I was required to file my 2007 U.S. tax return as married.

Please note that the above is not intended to be tax advice. You should consult your own tax advisor or the IRS helpline (I’ve found them to be quite helpful).

Edited by cp2000

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I don't understand much of tax system, but after reading the threads of visajourney during tax season, my husband did file as married and applied for my ITIN.

Here is what happened, he applied in April, and in August he got a letter from IRS stating they can't issue me an ITIN since I don't have a SSN, my husband still hasn't got any returns as of this date and he stopped calling IRS anymore.

This is wrong... you cannot get an ITIN if you are eligible for SSN... So if you have an SSN you do not need ITIN... Your hubby should re-read what the letter says

YMMV

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Pattu Rani,

Take a seat back and relax. YOU DID NOT DO ANYTHING WRONG. I was in the same predicament when I was filling my tax return. I was worried that despite being married how can I file as single? What if they reject my application on this basis of filling single??? But to tell you the truth, your tax return is used to verify your income, not your marital status. They have your marriage certificate for that, which will serve as a legal proof that you are married.

I also filed my 2007 tax return as single. My case is complete from NVC without any problem. You didn't do anything wrong. Your husband wasn't in US for the tax year and he was not dependent on you financially, so technically you can not claim an exemption on him. If you had filed jointly, all you would have done is increase your exemption by 1 because he didn't contribute any income as your spouse. But this would be semi-illegal because he is neither in US nor dependent on you. So you are fine the way you have filed. That's why I filed single for my wife. Plus, your filling single basically allowed govt. to collect more tax from you :D. So I don't think they would have any problem with you.

thanks,

CS

USCIS

2008-03-01: I-130 Sent

2008-03-10: I-130 NOA1

2008-08-11: NOA2 I-130 - APPROVED

NVC

2008-08-14: Package forwarded to NVC

2008-08-25: DS3032 Generated and AOS Bill Generated

2008-08-26: IIN Obtained

2008-08-26: COA Emailed

2008-08-27: Paid AOS Bill (online)

2008-08-29: AOS Bill status "PAID" on NVC website

2008-08-29: AOS Bill and DS3032 hardcopy arrived in mail

2008-09-13: Paid IV Bill (online)

2008-09-05: COA Accepted by NVC

2008-09-05: Mailed I-864

2008-09-17: IV Bill status "PAID" on NVC website

2008-09-23 : Mailed DS-230

2008-10-01 : Case Complete

2008-11-01 : Medical Exam

2008-11-06 : VFS Office visit

2008-11-20 : Interview ...APPROVED

2008-11-22: Visa in Hand

2008-12-12 : POE in Chicago

2009-01-03 : Received Welcome Letter

2009-01-30 : Received Social Security #

2009-01-12: Received Another Welcome Letter w/ GC

2009-01-12 : Received Green Card

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Pattu Rani,

Take a seat back and relax. YOU DID NOT DO ANYTHING WRONG. I was in the same predicament when I was filling my tax return. I was worried that despite being married how can I file as single? What if they reject my application on this basis of filling single??? But to tell you the truth, your tax return is used to verify your income, not your marital status. They have your marriage certificate for that, which will serve as a legal proof that you are married.

I also filed my 2007 tax return as single. My case is complete from NVC without any problem. You didn't do anything wrong. Your husband wasn't in US for the tax year and he was not dependent on you financially, so technically you can not claim an exemption on him. If you had filed jointly, all you would have done is increase your exemption by 1 because he didn't contribute any income as your spouse. But this would be semi-illegal because he is neither in US nor dependent on you. So you are fine the way you have filed. That's why I filed single for my wife. Plus, your filling single basically allowed govt. to collect more tax from you :D. So I don't think they would have any problem with you.

thanks,

CS

I agree. And plus filing under "single" or "married filing separately" does not differ in the amount of deduction you get, therefore you pay the same tax. All government cares about is $$ you owe to them. So since it does not make any difference you should be fine. And also, filing under "married filing separately" does not put any responsibility on you as far as your spouse filing under the same matireal status or not filing at all. You are simply not responsible for other people, even relatives.

02/14/2008 Valentine`s Day Wedding!

AOS

04/09/2008 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

05/03/2008 call to USCIS because NOA1 not received ;( Got the receipt number and was told that we cannot get replacement NOA1.

08/21/2008 request for NOA1 for I-130 to file AOS placed over the phone and forwarded to VSC. Thanks to the first great Rep at USCIS hotline

10/17/2008 Hubby`s B-day, NOA1 for I-130 finally arrives!

10/21/2008 AOS sent to Chicago lockbox

10/31/2008 NOAs for AOS received

11/06/2008 I-130 is transferred to CSC

11/20/2008 biometrics done

12/02/2008 I-130 APPROVED!!!

01/02/2009 EAD received

02/12/2009 Interview APPROVED!!!

02/17/2009 welcome letter received

02/23/2009 GC received!!! yay!!!

RC

11/18/2010 I-751 Sent to VSC

11/22/2010 NOA1

01/07/2011 Early Bio

01/27/2011 Scheduled Bio

05/11/2011 RC approved

05/17/2011 GC received

Naturalization

11/14/2011 Sent package via Priority to Nebraska SC

11/25/2011 NOA made it

Relocated to NE

04/03/2012 Interview passed!!!

04/10/2012 Oath

04/10/2012 New prints required/done

04/14/2012 Received a welcome packet but still no certificate

04/17/2012 Certificate is here!!!!! Dated 04/16/2012 huh????

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.