Slightly Bonkers

blah no life blah

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Have you thought about joining a club? :P

Seriously, though, maybe take a class in something that interests you, or join a gym - if exercise is your thing.

If I had time, I'd like to take a cooking class, or screen-play writing, or pottery, or knitting or wine tasting. All stuff that I find interesting and hopefully people there would find it interesting too and might be some common ground for a friendship.

Good luck in your quest!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

pub trivia has been a great thing for us :D

not least because we win a prize most weeks ;)

but seriously: it's fun, not expensive, and I've met some of Dave's workmates and their partners... none of them seem like they'll be new BFFs, but they're fun, and it's a good night out, and it makes me feel like I fit in a bit more :)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Did anyone suggest joining a club? :lol:

I did a little volunteering as well and can relate to the older generation being prevalent ;) I still had fun though but it wasn't exactly the best place for making friends ;) I have had luck with meetup.com though and have made a couple of friends through that site that enable me to get out from time to time which is nice :)

I'm also trying to establish the roots for a business that I can run when I get my EAD - ok so I am the worst procrastinator and haven't got very far yet but it is something to focus on and I'm hoping that doing it as a hobby alongside another job when I get my EAD will allow it to build up enough that eventually I can work from home on a more regular basis :)

StP - I would *love* to go to a pub quiz but I haven't seen any about which is amazing as there are so many bars here...

*runs to search*

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

if you don't find a place doing a pub quiz, suggest it to one :)

the one we go to isn't organised through the pub; they get the questions and answer sheets etc from an external group... the prizes are just vouchers for the pub, so I'm sure they give away far less than they make out of the event ;)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Slightly Bonkers: just judging from the personality that jumps from your posts, it's only a matter of time before you start finding people that really click with you. You sound like a hell of a lot of fun.

Best of luck, and I'm sure you know it'll be fine (and hopefully great) soon, you just want some empathy and support!

I was also going to make a "join a club" joke, but I think previous posters have it covered. ;)

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

Filed: Timeline
If I had time, I'd like to take a cooking class, or screen-play writing, or pottery, or knitting or wine tasting. All stuff that I find interesting and hopefully people there would find it interesting too and might be some common ground for a friendship.

:o

I'd join all those with you, Julez! :dance:

*goes back to working on moving to Buffalo*

iagree.gif

<start vent>

Ok so I guess this is 99% a vent and 1% a very quiet non-assuming warning

A little background ...

I've spend a lot of my life travelling on my own - 3 months in the states (summer camp J1) 5 years in a row, 8 months in India, and then finally with the guy, a 18 month stint in Japan.

I've left friends so many times and my family barely remember me being around for important holidays. I've missed babies, 40th's, weddings, blah blah blah all the good stuff.

I spent 4 years with my guy, I guess a good 2 and a half were long distance, with a good year at the end, like most of you, waiting for the visa.

Ok. So if any one is still reading ...

It's hard. It's the hardest thing I've ever done. I love being here with my husband. I don't hate america, but to be honest, Green Bay would never have been my first choice. I miss my family and friends, but I could deal with that if I had the possibility of making new friends but it seems impossible. No job. I am volunteering but everyone else who volunteers are in such a different part of their life (retired) that it makes it so hard to find someone to make you excited. His family and friends are amazing, really fun, open, caring but when it gets down to it, they are his friends. I can't wait for the day that I say to him - "I'm going out for dinner with someone you have never met!". I feel trapped, lonely, and so isolated.

I do know that this is a phase. And that when I get my EAD and a job and a life, things will slowly right themselves. But at the moment, I'm alone, with a cuddley dog, rock band and ... well thats it. Counting the days until I can join the rat race.

<end vent>

It's like I could have written it myself (apart from location). I get on great with my husbands family and friends, but just need some of my own. I know this will change once I start work etc, and have been looking for hobbies etc. So I know exactly how you feel.

And the poor dog isn't going to know whats happening when I get a job she's getting so much alone time with me ;)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

At first I thought I read, ' *goes back to moving the Buffalo* :blink:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Timeline

:lol: :lol: :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Do it Krikit!! There are some really nice affordable houses for sale near me!!! And a totally sweet Wegman's for all your shopping needs! :dance:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I too know the feeling of just being stuck, trapped in this place with no way out!.. God it took a year before I had the EAD, then the stupid GC came along not too long after it! I think I might of been going a tiny wee bit mad in the end! :lol:

I tried to keep myself grounded as much as I could, I watched stupid cable till I knew what was on what stations and at what times.. I cooked dinner, I cleaned up the house, I washed clothes and I even hung them up on a line I put up!.. No need for a dryer in Florida, unless you want rid of the lint :D I read the local papers from back home (still do!) so I could keep up with everything, I keep an eye on the News, RTE/UTV and some of the papers as well. Of course I emailed people all the time, posted stupid pictures.. we got Vonage and setup a virtual "back home" number so people could phone us for cheap and we could phone them for next to nothing! Every now and then I get someone from Derry asking for the Doctor's office or somebody trying to book a taxi/chinese :rofl:

In the end I was hunting every stupid job that came up that I just might get, starting with those I wanted.. the the ones I thought I wouldn't mind doing, the ones I could do alright, the others I'd have to do.. then the ones I didn't want but had to bring in some cash...

I got lucky in the end and found a half decent job, not my chosen field and am still there now.. leaset it's better than the $7.25 office depot was offering :bonk:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

My husband felt the EXACT same way about friends (his friends being my friends). I got him into hockey once he got here and we have Predators season tickets. He started posting on the Preds message board, and before you know it, he knows more people now at the games than I do!! That's really been a good outlet for him and a way to find his own friends. My point (if I have one, LOL!) is that sometimes you'll find friends in ways you least expect.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
And, count on this: "When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty!"

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

What? You don't like Green Bay?! ;) Actually, I live in Seymour, which is only 20 miles from Green Bay so I know what you mean. I am from Amsterdam, Holland and it's a different world out here . <_< I can relate to a lot of what you're saying. When I first entered the US with my K1 visa, I got a 90 day EAD stamp in my passport. The plan was to apply for AOS and EAD shortly after I married my husband, so there would be no gap in time between when my I-94 expired and when I got my EAD card. However, due to circumstances, we weren't able to apply for AOS and EAD as soon as we had liked. I was lucky to find a job soon after I arrived, but I quit that job because the people weren't honest with me about the times and the weekends I would be working and they scheduled me for evenings and weekends when I wasn't supposed to work. I found another decent job that I liked soon after that, but then my I-94 expired and I wasn't allowed to work any longer. Fortunately the company I worked has already said that they want to rehire me after I get my EAD card. So hopefully I will get that as soon as possible. I am already tired of bumming around the house all day. I keep busy by cleaning, cooking, running errands for my husband, etc... But sometimes boredom sets in and then I realize how much I've given up to be here. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to be here with my husband and I am absolutely not considering going back. It's just not always easy. I was hoping to make some friends at work, but the people here are so different from the people I knew back in Holland that sometimes I wonder if I'm going to be able to make any friends at all. My husband's family and friends all treat me very nice, but I would like to have some friends of my own. And the food here is something else I have a thing or two to say about. :wacko: Hopefully soon I will get my EAD card and I can go back to work. I try to stay positive about this whole thing and I realize that by this time next year, I will probably laugh about everything that is happening now. Most people say that the first year is the hardest so once that is behind me, I know I'll be fine. :) I am still confident that I made the right choice by coming here. :yes:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.