akdiver

Cell phone plans

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Cell phone plans do suck but if you are caught in a bad situation on the freeway need to call 911 they serve a good purpose. I am happy they have a law no cell phone use while drive but i still see people on the road think they are smart wont get busted. :devil:

Here's a newsflash for you. You don't need an active cell phone to call 911, all you need is a phone with a charge. The cell companies are required to allow any cell phone to call 911. We all pay for it with our active phones.

Newsflash for you mr drunk in public i already know dipchit.

Tone it down there, please.

Let's keep this conversation about cell phone plans friendly - I know it has the potential to get pretty controversial. :unsure:

Oh, silly Jenn, check the post history! :bonk:

Edited by Jenn!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I f##king hate that they require a renewal of my 2 year contract anytime I change my minutes plan, add a phone, etc. The major providers know they've essentially got a lock on anyone who signs up.
Yeah, this is one main reason I go with prepaid. The fact that it's cheaper is just a bonus.

Cheaper if you don't make any calls using it..

Does At&T even work in Alaska.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

AT&T has two prepaid plans:

a]. 25 cents/min plus 15 cents per SMS.

b]. 10 cents/min plus 15 cents per SMS, plus $1 daily fee on days when phone is used, but free calls to AT&T wireless numbers.

A month ago I switched us from plan A to plan B, to see if we could save money. Here are the results for 9/10/2008 - 10/20/2008:

WIFE:

Daily Fees: $18.00 (she used her phone on 18 of 30 days)

Incoming Calls: $2.80

Outgoing Calls: $3.40

SMS: $3.90 (incoming and outgoing)

Total Cost $28.10 ($29.15 on Plan A)

Free Minutes: 39 (value of $15.50 at 25 cents/minute)

HUSBAND:

Daily Fees: $5.00 (he used his phone on 5 of 30 days)

Incoming Calls: $0.30

Outgoing Calls: $1.00

SMS: $0.90 (incoming and outgoing)

Total Cost: $7.20 ($8.25 on Plan A)

Free Minutes: 20 (value of $5.00 at 25 cents/minute)

So, between the two of us, over a one month period we spent $35.30 on Plan B, and it would have been $37.40 on Plan A. So, we saved about $2.00. Big deal. We'll see what happens over the next month (:

However, our $36/month or so on the prepaid is still cheaper than AT&T's MINIMUM of $65/month plan with 200 text messages (the smallest # available) + $62 in activation fees for a 2-year contract. It's good to know we're still saving significant money using prepaid.

That's why I changed to Virgin Mobile.Wit AT&T my minutes would get used up too fast.

you have virginmobile in the usa? i thought i hadn't hit ther yet? how wierd than when i go visit Vito in La it hooks me onto t mobile instead of is virgin :unsure: i still can't get my head round the the fact you get charged to receve calls :blink: we dont unless we are in the wrong country like me in usa and using uk sim. :unsure:

Homer Sez:

Increase your wordiness,

Boudoir:

Where a French guy does it.

Our full time line is in our story on our profile.

K1

04-30-2008.......I-129F POSTED

05-01-2008....NOA1 (Touched 05-04-2008, Touched 04-07-2008)

09-23-2008....NOA2 Approved(See below for receipt of actual NOA2 and update in the USCIS System***)

01-13-2009....INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

02-18-2009....POE (LAX)

04-09-2009....WEDDING

AOS

06-12-2009.....AOS,EAD and AP Fedexed.

06-15-2009.....Signed for by J.CHYBA

06-18-2009.....NOA1 dated for AOS/AP/EAD

06-19-2009.....Check cleared

06-23-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD/AP

07-20-2009.....phoned helpline to report no biometrics appointment sent, Service request generated.

07-25-2009.....Recieved biometrics notice (generated on the 22nd june) for the 08-19-2009.

07-30-2009.....Did early walk in biometrics.

07-31-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD

08-06-2009.....Generated interview notice(received 08/10/09)

08-10-2009.....EAD/AP Approved

08-19-2009.....***NOA2 (Finally received after 6 Phone calls, 11 months late) :)

09-09-2009.....Aos interview.(APPROVED)first card production email

09-12-2009.....Welcome Notice Received.

event.png

rmq4qx3kup.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
We pay $120 a month through at & t for 4 lines,...2 of those are TEENAGERS.....that gives us ...Trust me, its a godsend with teenagers who average about 800 texts a month...
I wouldn't allow my child to have a cell phone. Or TV in his room. Or a game system....I'm just a mean old #######.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Timeline

I don't blame you by having prepaid I do as well and it works for me. When he comes over I plan on still having it. He has a prepaid service as well so it will not be a problem for him to have it here, he is so use to it. Then I will have the unlimited m2m but not until he comes. I have Alltel and I only pay $22 per month. I LOVE the unlim text as I can text him all the time and he is not charged for it & I'm not charged as I'm sending International. Plus when he calls me on my unlimited n/w its no charge to me. :)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I've never really understood the whole appeal of text messaging - esp. the people who have extended conversations this way. I mean, if you have so much to say, just freakin' call!

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I've never really understood the whole appeal of text messaging - esp. the people who have extended conversations this way. I mean, if you have so much to say, just freakin' call!

Yup - I'm too old to text - my fingers are fat and not very agile. It takes me 15 minutes just to type bye. Pick up the tin can, yank the yarn and just give them a shout. I like the old fashioned way better myself.

I have no choice to text him as it costs a lot to call to his country! I can't call him everyday. He does not have $ to call me all the time. And when he does call its for 1-2 min as the charges are high on his calling card. I call him a lot more but it is a lot=$$$. So Yes i text him. Works for us! :thumbs:

Edited by kk_mine

I have no choice to text him as it costs a lot to call to his country! He does not have $ to call me all the time. And when he does call its for 1-2 min as the charges are high on the calling card. I call him more but it is a lot=$$$. So some may not understand but Yes i text him. We have no problm with it. :thumbs:

I have no choice to text him as it costs a lot to call to his country! He does not have $ to call me all the time. And when he does call its for 1-2 min as the charges are high on the calling card. I call him more but it is a lot=$$$. So some may not understand but Yes i text him. We have no problm with it. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Just don't understan why on earth in USA, they charge for incoming calls and incoming text messages :protest::ranting:

I am not much of a phone person, but still charging for incoming is sooo wrong.

If he calls me during my n/w min I'm not charged at all. and I don't get charged for his text or for me to text him. Sorry that you do/or someone you know that does.. :(

Just don't understan why on earth in USA, they charge for incoming calls and incoming text messages :protest::ranting:

I am not much of a phone person, but still charging for incoming is sooo wrong.

Edited by kk_mine