andrew&keiko

Rescheduling AOS Interview?!?!?!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello all! :thumbs:

My wife (applicant) and I (petitioner) finally received her AOS to permanent residence interview date & time. I am really concerned, however, because I am in medical school and the interview is scheduled for a Wednesday morning in the middle of the semester. Since her AOS is based on our marriage (K1 visa), I definitely need to attend the interview with her yet can't afford to miss any class, as it is immensely frowned upon and will affect grades, etc. I called the USCIS National Customer Service Center to see what I could do as far as rescheduling and was told that for this school-related reason, they would not be able to grant an immediate reschedule, and would have to submit a request pending decision. She did say that we would be able to reschedule due to "her hospitalization, close relative death, jury duty, school graduation, or not present in the country", which made me think I should just go with one of these reasons and avoid a school-related request that may be denied. Do they request proof of the aforementioned reasons?

If we are able to reschedule, will this dramatically affect the processing time, require some steps to be repeated, and/or affect eligibility for other immigration benefits while her application is pending (as the interview letter states)?

Thank you soooooooo much to anyone who has any input/experience/knowledge of this particular situation!!! Best of luck to everyone!

:dance:

Filed: IR-5 Country: Tunisia
Timeline
Hello all! :thumbs:

My wife (applicant) and I (petitioner) finally received her AOS to permanent residence interview date & time. I am really concerned, however, because I am in medical school and the interview is scheduled for a Wednesday morning in the middle of the semester. Since her AOS is based on our marriage (K1 visa), I definitely need to attend the interview with her yet can't afford to miss any class, as it is immensely frowned upon and will affect grades, etc. I called the USCIS National Customer Service Center to see what I could do as far as rescheduling and was told that for this school-related reason, they would not be able to grant an immediate reschedule, and would have to submit a request pending decision. She did say that we would be able to reschedule due to "her hospitalization, close relative death, jury duty, school graduation, or not present in the country", which made me think I should just go with one of these reasons and avoid a school-related request that may be denied. Do they request proof of the aforementioned reasons?

If we are able to reschedule, will this dramatically affect the processing time, require some steps to be repeated, and/or affect eligibility for other immigration benefits while her application is pending (as the interview letter states)?

Thank you soooooooo much to anyone who has any input/experience/knowledge of this particular situation!!! Best of luck to everyone!

:dance:

I would not call myself and expert, but from reading ALOT of posts on this forum, I would strongly recommend that you go to the interview on the date that you have been appointed. Many people on this site even recommend that you still attend an interview date even if USCIS cancels it and notifys you in writing. If you do not go to the interview on the scheduled date you are very likely to get caught up (and lost) in the bureaucracy and mismanagement that plagues government. I certainly do not want to trivialize your predicament but I must say that don't think that your reason would be strong enough to warrant a re-scheduling because your situation is not "catastrophic" or "unavoidable" (i.e. you can skip school but you could not skip jury duty in most cases). I think this may be a situation in which you must risk getting a poor grade for the sake of your partner.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would agree with Mrs. Wilson. You need to be at the interview and you should try to make the scheduled time. Others have re-scheduled and found out that the information didn't make it to the appropriate level - they were denied for failing to show up - even though it was USCIS who re-scheduled. Others attended the originally scheduled interview even though it was supposedly cancelled and found out that it had not been and they went through the interview.

I can appreciate the importance of your studies but there are some things that are more important at certain times. This is one of those times. Talk with your instructor, explain the circumstances and ask if you can make up the work in another way -or get someone to tape the sessions for you so you can view them later.

If you successfully rescheduled yes, it would delay your whole process. Depending on how long it takes to re-schedule your wife may need to refile for another AP, another EAD and re-do fingerprints. If you have an appointment now - that is and should be the highest priority in your life. Go to the scheduled interview - you've come this far and waited this long - why put it all at risk now?

Also - do NOT lie to USCIS regarding the reason for a reschedule! The last thing you want is for them to tack on misrepresentation to her file - even though it was you who did so - as that would lead to serious repercussions, including denial of this or later immigration benefits. Don't think, 'how would they find out' - it just takes an innocent slip of the tongue to unravel all of your world when it is based on a lie.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

There are many foreign students in med schools across the country, and I'm sure a predicament similar to yours has arisen in the past. I agree with the other people posting here...if your professor(s) cannot understand the circumstances and would downgrade you for that I would report them through whatever academic ethics pipeline you have available at your school. This is something that is almost more important than your wedding, if not more so since this will determine whether or not she can stay in the country. I understand how important school is, but it's either a life with your wife or a slightly lower grade...I think you can live with a slightly lower grade.

wtf-picard.jpg

Concur with all the good advice here. GO TO THAT INTERVIEW!

10-Apr-08...Filing date for I-130/AOS/EAD/AP

02-May-08...Biometrics

31-Jul-08...EAD Card received

15-Sep-08...Interview (APPROVED)

27-Sep-08...GC received

03-Aug-10...Filed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

06-Aug-10...NOA 1-yr Extension Letter

10-Sep-10...Biometrics

02-Dec-10...ROC approved! (Card production ordered)

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Totally agree , go the interview!!!! I've waited almost 3 years for mine and wouldn't miss it for the world. Besides which if something goes wrong and you don't go there won't be any medical school to go to. They will understand .

Filing I 360 3rd Nov 2005

Prima facie determination received from Vermont 20th Nov 2005

DIVORCED JANUARY 25th 2006

EAD applied for again (jeez I need to work ) 28th Feb 2006

Removal hearing July 12th 2006

RFE's received for I360 and EAD 13th October 2006

NOID received March 2007

EAD denied March 2007

Back to Immigration Court April 18th 2007

NOID request for evidence received USCIS 3rd May 2007

I 360 touched May 31st 2007

I 360 actually approved May 30th 2007

EAD filed June 23rd 2007

I 485 filed July 24th 2007

NOA1 for I 485 August 1st 2007

EAD approved August 6th 2007

Medical with CS August 28th 2007

Biometrics August 24th 2007

Paperwork sent to Immigration Judge to finally terminate removal proceedings September 10th 2007

GREEN CARD FINALLY APPROVED AFTER 4 YEARS September 9th 2008 :D

N-400 Filed online 03/04/2018

NOA online 03/05/2018- projected Citizenship completion date December 2018

I would definitly go to the interview!!!

Talk to your teachers you have a valid reason to miss class...maybe you could go to the same class at a different time to avoid losing credit if thats the case.

02/29/2008 Filed AOS

07/25/2008 Interview!!! Approved!

07/29/2008 Approval letter/Welcome to the USA letter for I130 and I485 Arrive

08/18/2008 Permanent Resident Card Arrives!

04/27/2010 Mail Package for lifting conditions

08/11/2010 Approval letter!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.