one...two...tree

Do You or Would You Support the Death Penalty If?

89 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing that a certain percentage of inmates put to death are innocent?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on the percentage
  2. 2. If you said, "Depends on the percentage" of innocent people put to death, what is a tolerable percentage for you?

• Less than 1 %
    • Less than 5 %
    • Less than 10 %
    • Less than 20 %
    • Less than 30 %
    • Less than 50 %
    • I voted 'NO'
  3. 3. You are:

• Male - USC
    • Male - Foreigner
    • Female - USC
    • Female - Foreigner

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Since World War II there has been a consistent trend towards abolishing the death penalty. In 1977, 16 countries were abolitionist. As of August 1 2008, 91 countries had abolished capital punishment altogether, 11 had done so for all offences except under special circumstances, and 35 others had not used it for at least 10 years or under a moratorium- while 60 countries actively retained the death penalty.[5]

At least 3,000 people (and probably considerably more) were sentenced to death during 2007, and at the end of the year around 25,000 were on death row around the world, with Pakistan and the USA accounting for about half this figure between them. China carries out by far the greatest number of actual executions - while Amnesty International has confirmed at least 470 executions there during 2007 the true figure has been estimated at up to 6,000. Outside China, at least 800 people were put to death in 23 countries during 2007, with Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Iraq and the USA the main contributors. Iran, Saudi Arabia and Yemen executed people for crimes committed when they were juveniles, in contravention of international law.[6]

Executions are known to have been carried out in the following countries in 2007[6]:

Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Botswana, China, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Kuwait, Libya, North Korea, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, USA, Vietnam, Yemen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

bleh i done hosed up the results already.

change in the first part one yes vote to depends on percentage, the rest is accurate.

votes should be depends on percentage, 5%, and male usc.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

no no female foreign

Edited by Hannah+Vito

Homer Sez:

Increase your wordiness,

Boudoir:

Where a French guy does it.

Our full time line is in our story on our profile.

K1

04-30-2008.......I-129F POSTED

05-01-2008....NOA1 (Touched 05-04-2008, Touched 04-07-2008)

09-23-2008....NOA2 Approved(See below for receipt of actual NOA2 and update in the USCIS System***)

01-13-2009....INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

02-18-2009....POE (LAX)

04-09-2009....WEDDING

AOS

06-12-2009.....AOS,EAD and AP Fedexed.

06-15-2009.....Signed for by J.CHYBA

06-18-2009.....NOA1 dated for AOS/AP/EAD

06-19-2009.....Check cleared

06-23-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD/AP

07-20-2009.....phoned helpline to report no biometrics appointment sent, Service request generated.

07-25-2009.....Recieved biometrics notice (generated on the 22nd june) for the 08-19-2009.

07-30-2009.....Did early walk in biometrics.

07-31-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD

08-06-2009.....Generated interview notice(received 08/10/09)

08-10-2009.....EAD/AP Approved

08-19-2009.....***NOA2 (Finally received after 6 Phone calls, 11 months late) :)

09-09-2009.....Aos interview.(APPROVED)first card production email

09-12-2009.....Welcome Notice Received.

event.png

rmq4qx3kup.png

I seem to remember a statistic from when I was doing research for a speech I had to give in college that most people who are against abortion are for the death penalty.

Sorry I don't remember where I read it and I don't feel like searching for it but I always thought it was interesting and have still remembered it over the year.

I also remember hearing that it actually costs less to house an inmate in prison for life than to have the death penalty. (Again I apologize I don't feel like searching)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

No, and no.

I support the death penalty only in extreme circumstances (such as for serial killers) and is otherwise undeniably guilty (admitting guilt, showing no remorse, multiple witnesses...). For such cases, they are often even a threat within the prison system.

I also am a strong advocate for REHABILITATION of inmates -- something we do terribly in the USA. It costs less to fix the problem than to continually lock people up, and it improves the lives of the convict and their families.

K-1 Timeline

05/14/08 Engaged on my last day while visiting Bremen

07/03 Mailed 129f package

07/24 NOA1

12/05 NOA2

12/27 Packet 3 received

01/19/09 Medical in Hamburg

03/24 Successful interview at Frankfurt

03/31 Visa received

07/09 POE Salt Lake City

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline

08/22/09 Mailed package

08/28 NOA1

10/28 Biometrics completed; EAD card production ordered

11/07 EAD arrived

12/14 Successful AOS interview in Seattle

12/28/09 Greencard arrived

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

No, no, Female USC.

I don't support the death penalty, nor do I support abortion. Yes, my belief is grounded in the social teachings of my faith.

Though I do agree with Aubrey about serial killers and those who show remorse, except, they don't care if they live or die. I don't understand the argument which states the death penalty is the ultimate punishment. How? Who is being punished?

I've often been asked "would you feel that way if someone killed your child/husband/insert person here?" I think I would, but of course I can 't say and hope I never have to. However, one of the main foundations of my faith is the belief that God judges, not me. As well, what would such a revenge killing accomplish? My child/husband/etc would still be dead.

No, I'm staunchly and unforgivably pro-life.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I support Death penalty when somebody kill somebody for No reason .....WHO KILL SHOULD BE KILLED ..

AOS---Mailed 6/6/2008

Check cashed---6/16/2008

Noa's received--6/18/2008 (date of 6/13/2008)

Biometrics appt--7/9/2008

EAD(Card production ordered )--(October 2, 2008)

EAD Recieved--10/10/2008

I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS-Current Status: Notice Returned as Undeliverable--

12/02/08

01/22/09--Interview. PASSED.

01/23/09--Card production ordered.I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

02/07/2009-- 10 Years Green Card recieved.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Attention poll takers:

The question is - if statistically speaking, a certain percentage of death row inmates who are put to death are actually innocent, do you still support the Death Penalty? If it depends on that percentage, state what percentage of innocent people are you willing to tolerate putting to death without having any reservations of the Death Penalty.

Edited by Jabberwocky

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

No

No

Female USC

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

bleh i done hosed up the results already.

change in the first part one yes vote to depends on percentage, the rest is accurate.

votes should be depends on percentage, 5%, and male usc.

Copycatted!

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Whilst I have no doubt in my mind that the Ted Bundys & Richard Ramirezs of his world richly deserved/deserve the death penalty, I would have to say I am against it. The reason for this (and this concerns Jabberwocky's percentage of innocence question) is that in my mind, the only acceptable percentage of innocents put to death is ZERO percent. Rather let a thousand Bundys & Ramirezs escape with their miserable lives than wrongly execute a single innocent person.

Male, foreign, btw.

Edited by Damian P

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

The death penalty is appropriate in some cases, but not in all cases. Not everyone that murders is assessed the death penalty. There are various degrees of murder depending on the circumstances. Nobody wants innocent people to be executed. If you look at many of the cases that are continually appealed through the system, the vast majority are over frivilous proceedural matters or interpretations of constitutionality. Few are over new evidence to exonerate the innocent. These people have their due process in a court of law.

On the flip side...there have been cases of murderers that had the death penalty assessed, had the sentence reassed to life through appeal, were eventually released (life isn't really life in Texas), and then went on to murder again after they were set free.

What percentage of that type of outcome is acceptable? 1%, 5%, 10%, etc.?

How about comparing released repeat murderers to the number of executed inmates that were proven to be innocent after the fact. Most likely there have been more released to murder again than innocents executed.

This poll tugs at the heart without considering reality. Letting dozens of repeat murders go so that one innocent is not executed by the state is unacceptable IMO. The state never knowingly intends to execute an innocent. Criminal murderers don't live in that mindset and are not constrained by it.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
There are various degrees of murder depending on the circumstances.

Killing is killing. There are no 'various degrees.' You are either dead or not. This isn't The Princess Bride where someone can be 'mostly dead.'

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi