24 posts in this topic

Ok I know theres a million and one messages like this on VJ... but....

I miss home !!!!!!!! :(

I love America, I like the people, love the weather, love our soon-to-be-house, BUT i miss my mom and dad, my brothers and nieces and nephews, I miss being able to take 5 weeks vacation and go on several holidays a year. I dont like driving here....I miss being able to go out for a drink and using public transport so we BOTH can have a drink instead of a designated driver.. miss the pubs... miss being able to walk around... miss decent bread (that only has 4-5 ingredients instead of 25!)

But most of all... its just my family, it sounds bad but I resent seeing my in-laws alllll the time when I never get to see my own family, Doesnt that sound bad? And Im not evil i promise :star:

Ok ... I let it all out. Just my whine for today.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Sorry to hear your having a downer day. I know it is a big adjustment when one leaves thier country to come and be with their love. All I can say is can you have the family mail you a goodie box with some of your favorites? And how about cam chats with the family overseas? Know I am not much help but I am sending you a hug.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

I totally hear you and everything you have just said I have also thought aswell. Looking at your timeline you moved to the US a week before me so I totally know where you are coming from! I have also been getting depressed about it all as I last saw my mum in November last year for our wedding and she told me over the weekend she cant afford to come visit me until the flights get cheaper in November this year! Thats a whole year of not seeing my mum. I have just started a job here in the US two months ago and dont get any vacation for the first year, even after a year I only get ten measly days! Ten days, how is that long enough to go visit home?

And dont worry, you are not evil for despising seeing the in laws all the time! I feel that way too. I love my in laws, they are the sweetest people who have been so welcoming to me, but I cant help but feel its not fair when my husband sees his family and friends all the time and I dont. This last Sunday, mothers day was tough for me. Even though its a different day in the UK, just knowing that it was mothers day and I wont see my mum for a year really upset me!

Your post has made me cry! I am sooooo with you!

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep, add me to the "club"!!!

I only live 3 hours from my family and friends, but I still get homesick a lot.... and I've been here almost 2 years!!!!!

My daughter has now come to the U.S. to live, but my two grown sons are up in Canada and I don't get to see them for pot roast dinners on Sunday anymore!!!!! :(

I think it's normal and we may never get over our homesickness no matter how long we've lived here. I just try to make the best of it and try to appreciate the fact that I'm with a wonderful man!!!!

Best wishes to all!!!!

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I want to be added to the Club too. I got here more less 2 months ago, i know what you are feeling. I miss my family a lot too. Its weird what im going to say but i miss one of my sisters more than my mom, I lived with her and she was like my mom, my friend, everything to me and her daugthers too. We used to go everywhere together and have a lot of fun and now Im here missing everything. I love my husband a lot and he does his best to make me feel better with a lot of love and affection but i miss them a lot anyway. I cant wait to visit them next year. My in laws are really sweet to me too, but i would love to have my family here like my husband. I try to talk to my family everyday but its not the same, i would love to touch and hold them :(

I think thats normal and time will help a lot.

OLY (F)

AOS PROCESS

Finally we sent our AOS and EAD paperwork.

09-13-2006 AOS/EAD package sent via FedEX to USCIS in Chicago.

09-22-2006 Received NOA by Mail for AOS and EAD

09-29-2006 Received Appointment Notice for Biometrics

10-04-2006 Biometrics done for AOS and EAD

10-10-2006 NOA by Mail Regarding Transfer to CSC

11-21-2006 AOS touched

12-06-2006 AOS approved (online status)

12-11-2006 Green Card Arrived - Woo Whoo

12-12-2006 Welcome Letter by mail

Removing Conditions I-751

09-09-2008 Sent Package

09-15-2008 Received I-751 NOA1 (Notice date: 09-10-2008)

10-01-2008 Received Biometrics Appointment (Notice date: 09-26-2008)

10-15-2008 Biometrics date: 09-30-2008

12-12-2008 Card production Ordered

Citizenship Process

10-26-2009 Sent N400 - Citizenship Application

10-30-2009 NOA notice date

11-02-2009 Received NOA in mailbox

11-19-2009 Received Fingerprint Notification notice

11-20-2009 Fingerprint taken

01-29-2010 Passed Interview

02-19-2010 Oath Ceremony

02-23-2010 Ordered passport book and card :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not even there yet and I am already worrying about the lack of public transport and the measly vacation days.

Sorry you are all missing your families. My parents and my sisters and I have all lived in different countries/cities for a very long time already, so I have already had to adjust to that. The technological world has made it easier to stay conneted, but I know it isn't the same thing. :(

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

I know the feeling.... It s not so easy to be far from family...

I do not know when it s next times that I will see my family and friends...

I got to see so much my in laws that i got really tired of it...

It s nearly every weekend that i see them ... I t s getting a little to much.

It s also harder to meet people...

I m with you on this one....

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Awww Ceresa...

I think it is normal to feel that way. We lived far from my in laws so I didn't get jealous of the fact that they could meet us more than I could meet my parents.

I also found that yahoo messenger with cam or skype helps a lot coz I got to talk to my parents and brothers online.

Hope you'd feel better. (F)

Our K1 Journey Click Here
K1 Interview in Jakarta Click Here
AOS Journey:
May 02, 2006 :AOS Sent to Chicago...Let the couting begin
May 03, 2006 :AOS received in Chicago
May 12, 2006 :Received NOA1 dated 05/09/2006
May 22, 2006 Biometrics Notice Rcvd dated 05/17/2006
May 30, 2006 :Biometrics done in ASC Birmingham
July 01, 2006 :Interview Letter received
Aug 30, 2006 :Interview in Atlanta & got RFE for I-693A! OUCH!!!
November, 2006 :I-693A Sent. The waiting goes on...
April 4, 2007: Infopass & it doesn't help at all!!!
April 18, 2007 :Contacting our Congressman.
May 18, 2007 : E-mail rcvd, Welcome Notice Sent! Finally!!!
April 22, 2007 : E-mail rcvd, GC has been ordered
April 24, 2007 : Welcome Notice Rvcd. Yeeehaaa!!!!
June 1, 2007: GC arrived! Yippy! USCIS Free for 2 years!
2008: Moved to China
2009: Conditional GC Expired and Husband has been having affairs since 2008 in China. Can't file for ROC since he got laid off. He came to Jakarta to live with me and my parents. He got a new job. Life resume to normal or so I thought.
March 2010: Officially separated after yet more affairs exposed just a day after my birthday!

February 2011: Officially divorced.
June 18, 2011: He married the girl he had the last affair with.

August 2014: I am engaged with my real soulmate. Not an American.

Save a place for me in this here thread. I'm not in that boat yet but no doubt I will be.

In my daily life as a cabby, the conversation regularly goes over to the fact that I will be emigrating. Most people apply the logic that covers themselves and they, more often than not, tell me that I will miss England. Every time I correct them. I will not miss England, not at all, BUT, I will miss some elements and things. I'm anticipating missing those things now and I deal with it in preparartion by looking at the big picture. Sure, I won't be able to walk to the corner shop or pub. I can make my own bread and I can change my shopping and drinking habits. I will be closer to the love of my life and enjoying a better quality of life in general. So, that's how I deal with the butterflies of anticipation of missing some elements of UK life. Make the most out of the new elements that are presented to me with US life and consciously think about them.

Bottom line, the grass is always greener, etc, it's just a case of being satisfied with my grass the way it is, or rather, will be. None the less, I am aware that I am going to have to deal with it. I'm just preparing myself mentally, now.

prestoportaitww0.jpg

My Timeline is the same as TracyTN

Top post there Chas :)

I too will miss THINGS about my country - but having travelled extensively I can tell you that once you leave one tends to only remember the 'good things' you left - not the cr@ppy stuff that made you, and everyone else you know, moan about your own country. Its like you suddenly grow a pair of rose-tinted spectacles and they get super-glued to your eyes.

I won't miss the weather here - and having all 4 seasons in one week..when its SPOSED to be summer.

I won't miss the crowded roads, the cold seas or the price of fags :lol:

I WILL miss some people, the tv shows and the sense of humor and some of the foods that I wont' be able to get in the US.

I'll miss being familiar with things and KNOWING how banks and big institutions etc work. I'll miss my perfect credit score :D

I'll miss being able to go out when I want to the shops - cos I can WALK there - I won't miss the prices that I discovered when I GOT the stores tho ;)

I won't miss my honey cos he'll be right there all the time.

I won't miss feeling lonely at night.

I will miss the green - there's nothing in the world that looks like 'English green' of the countryside - and tho NC is INCREDIBLY green its not quite the same.

I won't miss the overabundance of cities in a small area - I love the fact the US is SO BIG! So MANY things to see.. I've seen a lot of the US but there is still so MUCH to see and do.

If you are feeling homesick, try and remember the things you DON'T actually miss..it helps get some perspective, and its what I plan to do if it gets really bad.

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

So understand were you are coming from... But I have to agree with Chas... Being in the UK has always been difficult, and I have just learnt how to deal with it... But there are elements missing in my life, I don't miss the country as such, I miss my family and friends, the food and I reckon that is probably about it.... I would love to go back, as many times as I could to visit, but I would not go back and live there, because it will not offer a "stable" life for the family that I have already started.

I wish in so many ways that I could be there for this or that.... But webcams, voice conferencing and laptops have made my life easier....

Look at the nice things you have now, and think that you would probably not have them, if you were at home... Is sad, but unfortunately we can't have the best of both worlds! Literally...

US.gifVenezuela.gifUK.gif

dogdogcbu20090513_-30_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

I'm a member of your club, I arrived here last year and I still homesick, I miss my family, my friends, the food, my job, everything. My husband is a wonderful man and I love him more than anyhting, he' s my love and my best friend but there are some things that I can't talk to him, I miss my friends some much...... .

I'm latina and love to make friends to dance, to go for some drinks but I find people here so unfriendly and cold. My husband is 6 years older than me (not a big difference), I'm only 24 and he doesn't want to go out,he prefers to rent a movie and stay at home, so boring.. :angry: .

I remember when I live in Lima, I just called my friends and they came to my house inmediately or when we went out for some drinks, everything is cheaper there and there are taxis everywhere, here if you don't have the car you are death ( I don't live in Manhattan). We own one but I don't drive

I'm already counting the days to visit the for Christmas, I know that the tickets are very expensive (1300) but to be honest I don't care I just want to see them again, I'm dreaming about the day when I see them at the airport waiting for me :dance: . My mom is planing a big party 'cause that's my father's birthday!!!!.

My hubby is a bit afraid 'cause he thinks that I won't want to come back to the States jajajajajaj ;) .

OLY: Como estas??? yo tambien soy peruana, si gustas aqui te paso mi mail para poder comunicarnos, se como te sientes, los primeros meses son los peores.... vi_mazzella@hotmail.com, XOXOXOX

Gotta Go....

Vi

sofsmile-1.jpg

Am entirely in agreement with both Chas and Jaylen on this, and I am also speaking from experience having spent many years away from the UK and also the fact that my daughter has been in the states now for nearly 20 years and in that time has only been back to the Uk -once. Mind you we have been to the states many times and like both Chas and Jaylen, when we move over we know there are going to be many things in the UK that we will miss

You do not live in a country for 60 years and think you are not going to miss things , ;) but there are also many things that I will definitely not miss and that is what I will keep in my mind :thumbs:

Sykpe is fantastic and with a webcam (use them both now) I keep an eye on my youngest grandson who I will be leaving but I will still be able to watch him grow through those two things and talk forever 'cause it is free :thumbs:

It is hard but you have to stay positive and try not to reminisce about what you are missing but what the future will hold for you

Goodluck to all

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.