one...two...tree

Who are your favorite writers of fiction?

131 posts in this topic

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Prayer for OWEN MEANEY!

Thanks, I was trying to think of that guys name, I read a bunch of those books about 6 years ago.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Of the top 100 books on that list, I have read 40 of the first 50 but only 16 of the second 50. Not sure what's up with that :)

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Elmore Leonard is pretty cool. I like his older stuff better than the new. Some of his material has been made into movies throughout the years.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Richard Matheson is another fave of mine. I am Legend is probably one of my favorite novels. I also like a lot of his short stories (interesting story behind the writing of "Duel" - it was based on an incident when he was run off the road, and he and his wife basically drove out through Ventura Country so he could make a note of all the things along the route as part of his prep work).

#6 I LOVE Matheson. Have you read What Dreams May Come?

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Richard Matheson is another fave of mine. I am Legend is probably one of my favorite novels. I also like a lot of his short stories (interesting story behind the writing of "Duel" - it was based on an incident when he was run off the road, and he and his wife basically drove out through Ventura Country so he could make a note of all the things along the route as part of his prep work).

#6 I LOVE Matheson. Have you read What Dreams May Come?

No - I've only read two of his novels and some short stories. I have "Hell House" kicking around somewhere - but it doesn't sound like an A-lister.

Then, I read all of Iris Murdoch

Perfume was a fabulous book. Did he ever write anything else?

From Wiki:

Patrick Süskind (born March 26, 1949) is a German writer and screenwriter.

He was born in Ambach am Starnberger See, near Munich in Germany. His father was Wilhelm Emanuel Süskind. He studied Medieval and Modern History at the University of Munich and in Aix-en-Provence from 1968-1974. In the 1980s he worked as a screenwriter, for "Kir Royal" and "Monaco Franze" among others. His best known work is the internationally acclaimed bestseller Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (1985). He is also the author of a play, The Double Bass (1980), a novella, The Pigeon (1988), The Story of Mr. Sommer (1991), Three Stories and a Reflection (1996), and a collection of essays, On Love and Death (2006). For a number of seasons, The Double Bass was a leading piece on German stages.

Süskind lives in Munich, and rarely grants interviews.

Selected works

A movie based on Perfume was released in 2006.

-P

Then, I read all of Iris Murdoch

Perfume was a fabulous book. Did he ever write anything else?

Is that the book that the recent movie was based on? About the autistic serial killer obsessed with scents?

Yes. I haven't seen the movie, but the book is excellent....the type you stay up reading, late into the night. At least I did. :blush:

-P

Edited by Minya's wife
funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Yes. I haven't seen the movie, but the book is excellent....the type you stay up reading, late into the night. At least I did. :blush:

-P

The movie is really good - but it wasn't well marketed in the US because of the main character's aberrant behaviour. I might actually buy it on DVD - though you need a strong stomach to get through the first 30 minutes.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Philip Roth

His short story, The Conversion of the Jews - I have this fantasy of making that into a film.

Steve - do you like Pynchon?

Me Steve or Jabberwocky Steve? Either way, I've only read 'Vineland'. Liked it, as I recall.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones