one...two...tree

Who are your favorite writers of fiction?

131 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Philip Roth

His short story, The Conversion of the Jews - I have this fantasy of making that into a film.

Steve - do you like Pynchon?

I don't I've ever read anything by him.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philip Roth

His short story, The Conversion of the Jews - I have this fantasy of making that into a film.

Me Steve or Jabberwocky Steve? Either way, I've only read 'Vineland'. Liked it, as I recall.

either can answer! :D I was asking Jabber because he was talking about reading ulysses and non-linear narratives and what not.

I have actually not read Vineland, but keep meaning to

90day.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Philip Roth

Me Steve or Jabberwocky Steve? Either way, I've only read 'Vineland'. Liked it, as I recall.

either can answer! :D I was asking Jabber because he was talking about reading ulysses and non-linear narratives and what not.

hehehe...well, I'll have to put him down on my list. I'd like to take a stab at reading Ulysses again...even if I only will understand about a third of what I'm reading.

Edited by Jabberwocky

Philip Roth

hehehe...well, I'll have to put him down on my list. I'd like to take a stab at reading Ulysses again...even if I only will understand about a third of what I'm reading.

I prefer Pynchon to Joyce.

I tried reading Ulysses once, you know, just to say I did. After a bit I threw it aside and decided life was too short. I like The Dubliners though.

90day.jpg

Yes. I haven't seen the movie, but the book is excellent....the type you stay up reading, late into the night. At least I did. :blush:

-P

The movie is really good - but it wasn't well marketed in the US because of the main character's aberrant behaviour. I might actually buy it on DVD - though you need a strong stomach to get through the first 30 minutes.

The book is no picnic either....well the entire subject matter is hard for some to digest.

-P

Edited by Minya's wife
funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Yes. I haven't seen the movie, but the book is excellent....the type you stay up reading, late into the night. At least I did. :blush:

-P

The movie is really good - but it wasn't well marketed in the US because of the main character's aberrant behaviour. I might actually buy it on DVD - though you need a strong stomach to get through the first 30 minutes.

The book is no picnic either....well the entire subject matter is hard for some to digest.

-P

In many ways it reminds me of Thomas Harris "Hannibal" series, and Brett Easton Ellis "American Psycho". Suskind's character isthe anti-hero. I find those types of books quite engaging and certainly much more difficult to write than the usual goody-boy stuff.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My all time favorite has always been Gabriel García Márquez and not because he's Colombian. I remember when I was in school back in Colombia we were forced to read "Love in the Time of Cholera" and I was fuming because I had to read it. Read it, hated it. Then in college I read it again and absolutely loved it. Now I've read pretty much read most of his work and to me there's no one like him.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

-P

-P

In many ways it reminds me of Thomas Harris "Hannibal" series, and Brett Easton Ellis "American Psycho". Suskind's character isthe anti-hero. I find those types of books quite engaging and certainly much more difficult to write than the usual goody-boy stuff.

Anti-heroes generally are.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
My all time favorite has always been Gabriel García Márquez and not because he's Colombian. I remember when I was in school back in Colombia we were forced to read "Love in the Time of Cholera" and I was fuming because I had to read it. Read it, hated it. Then in college I read it again and absolutely loved it. Now I've read pretty much read most of his work and to me there's no one like him.

Diana

I had a really hard time with his book "One Hundred Years of Solitude"

It was one of those books I had to force myself to finish.....I can't leave a book unfinished no matter how much I don't like it....major O.C.D

"We are the real countries,

Not the boundaries drawn on maps,

With the names of powerful men.

That's all I've wanted -

To walk in such a place with you,

On an earth without maps."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kev (Canada/BC) & Kiki (USA/Oregon)

flag_usa_canada.gif

Married Nov. 27th, 2004

Done with USCIS until 2017!!

collage4.jpg

olivia12mo2.jpg

I used to read books by author and that was fun for a while but I now have a new method.

I don't buy books anymore well, more or less anyway but I love the library. So, I go in, head for the shelves and then scan the books to see a title that sounds interesting. If one catches my eye I'll read the fly leaf just to see what the book is about and then if it sounds ok, I'll check it out.

It only works if you have a well stocked library though I think...

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It was one of those books I had to force myself to finish.....I can't leave a book unfinished no matter how much I don't like it....major O.C.D

I'm the same way, no matter how bad the book is I force myself to finish it. It took me a good 8 months to get through "The Poisonwood Bible". Augh, that book was horrible!

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Timeline
I used to read books by author and that was fun for a while but I now have a new method.

I don't buy books anymore well, more or less anyway but I love the library. So, I go in, head for the shelves and then scan the books to see a title that sounds interesting. If one catches my eye I'll read the fly leaf just to see what the book is about and then if it sounds ok, I'll check it out.

It only works if you have a well stocked library though I think...

SACRILEGE. :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I'm the same way, no matter how bad the book is I force myself to finish it. It took me a good 8 months to get through "The Poisonwood Bible". Augh, that book was horrible!

Diana

My 'Achilles' heel' if you will is War and Peace....I've started that book umpteen times, and can't get past the first 100 pages. I know its a seminal work of clasiccal literature and all, but I can just never get into it. On the other hand...its been a few years since I attempted, so maybe I'll give it another shot one of these days. :blush:

-P

Edited by Minya's wife
funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My 'Achilles' heel' if you will is War and Peace....I've started that book umpteen times, and can't get past the first 100 pages. I know its a seminal work of clasiccal literature and all, but I can just never get into it. On the other hand...its been a few years since I attempted, so maybe I'll give it another shot one of these days. :blush:

-P

I have War & Peace sitting on my bookshelf. I think I saw the cast of characters in the front of the book and said "No way"

Oh well, it looks good sitting there on the shelf...LOL.

"We are the real countries,

Not the boundaries drawn on maps,

With the names of powerful men.

That's all I've wanted -

To walk in such a place with you,

On an earth without maps."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kev (Canada/BC) & Kiki (USA/Oregon)

flag_usa_canada.gif

Married Nov. 27th, 2004

Done with USCIS until 2017!!

collage4.jpg