Acecard

Changing Last Name Before Filing AOS

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Everyone! I have been here in the US for 3 weeks now, got married and all and now we are filing for AOS. On teh G-325 A, biographic information, I am quite confused with the family name. Since I married my husband, I assumed his last name and so my records indicate my husband's lsat name. However, we are not sure if we have to go somewhere to have it officially changed or something. I am thinking that since our marriage, I have the right to choose whatever last name I want and use that from then on. So I have used that to register for school and for SS application. Could anyone please advise if I have to do anything special to have my last name officially changed? And second thing, can I use my husband's last name on the G-325A form? Thank you all in advance! :innocent:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
Hi Everyone! I have been here in the US for 3 weeks now, got married and all and now we are filing for AOS. On teh G-325 A, biographic information, I am quite confused with the family name. Since I married my husband, I assumed his last name and so my records indicate my husband's lsat name. However, we are not sure if we have to go somewhere to have it officially changed or something. I am thinking that since our marriage, I have the right to choose whatever last name I want and use that from then on. So I have used that to register for school and for SS application. Could anyone please advise if I have to do anything special to have my last name officially changed? And second thing, can I use my husband's last name on the G-325A form? Thank you all in advance! :innocent:

I have seen that question a couple of times already and I have also asked it on vj before filing for AOS. You can put your husbands name on your G-325(and other forms) if you wish to carry his last name. That's what I have done, so far I have received NOA1s and biometrics appointment. It's fun to watch mail come adressed to your new last name!

Edited by Joanna&Bobby

AOS Timeline begun!

AOS sent- June 26th 2008

NOA1- July 3rd

Touch- July 7th (check cashed)

Touch- July 8th

Biometrics notice received- July 14th (notice date- July 9th)

Biometrics Appointment- July 25th

Touch- July 25th

RFE e-mail notice- July 28th

RFE response sent- September 9th

RFE response received by USCIS and case processing resumed- September 12th

AOS Touch- September 18th

Transfer to CSC- September 26th

AOS Touch-September 29th

Received Transfer Letter in mail- October 2nd

AOS Touch- case pending at the office to which it was transferred- October 3rd

AOS Touch- October 6th

EAD Touch- October 29- CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED-yippeeeeeeeeee! I can get a drivers license

EAD Touch- November 3rd- Approval notice sent (JEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ RIGHT AFTER I WROTE THIS MY EAD CARD CAME IN MAIL!!!!!! I mean the Mailman brought it HOW WEIRD IS THAT???????????)

AOS Touch Dec 19th

AOS Touch Dec 21st

AOS APPROVED JAN 29th

Removing Conditions 12/16/2010- Application sent by certified mail

Approved 3/07/2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Depends on state, most have legal name change as part of the marriage certificate.

What does your marriage cert show as your married name?

You fill out G-325A, I-485, and I-765 using name that you wish to go by, there are places "Other names used" and "Name on I-94" where you will indicate maiden name.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

What is in your marriage license? They had to ask you if you wanted to keep your maien name or to take your husband's last name? I don't think you can use any name you want though, you have to use only one of those. So, if when applyting for the marriage licnese you chose to change your name, it's already there and you don't have to go anywhere but just use it.

In my G-325A I used my new last name. When they ask any other name you used before, there you put your maiden name. Good luck :) !

Edited by mariapoe

AOS

04-16-2008: AOS package Sent to Chicago via Express Mail

05-13-2008: Biometrics

05-22-2008: AOS trasfered to CSC

06-13/17-2008: EAD Approved (2 CRIS email)

06-18/19-2008: AOS touch

06-20-2008: EAD Approval Notice Sent (email)

06-23-2008: EAD in mail

06-23-2008: Another EAD touch (9AM), EAD IN MAIL (1PM)

07-14-2008: I-485 Card Production Ordered

07-21-2008: Green Card in mail

Timeline
What is in your marriage license? They had to ask you if you wanted to keep your maien name or to take your husband's last name? I don't think you can use any name you want though, you have to use only one of those. So, if when applyting for the marriage licnese you chose to change your name, it's already there and you don't have to go anywhere but just use it.

In my G-325A I used my new last name. When they ask any other name you used before, there you put your maiden name. Good luck :) !

My Marriage license indicates my maiden name. There was no place to put in what name I want. When we were filling out the mariage license form online they just asked Pary A's personal data and party B's personal data. When we got married, the officiating person did not ask for that. She just said that we should pay for $13 to the county clerk if we want to get a certifiied copy of our marriage. We asked where to change names and she just said I can assume the name of my husband right away.

By the way for YuandDan, we are in California. Thanks all for your answers, I will wait to see if I can legally use his last name already. This has been confusing and you guys are all great.I do not feel so lost. =)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I wasn't asked what name I wanted either with the marriage certificate, it just has our maiden names.

I was planning on using his last name so that's what I filed AOS with and just put my maiden name under the other names section.

To change it I had to wait for my EAD but then I went to the Social security and had them updated my information on the card (I already had one), all I had to bring was my passeport, old SS card, marriage license and EAD.

When that was done I went to the DMV and they were able to change it on my DL.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

I used his last name after we got married....no question about it even getting a ssn by showing our marriage certificate.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Naturalization

Aug. 05, 2009......sent N-400

Aug. 06, 2009......delivered at 11:45

Aug. 17, 2009.....NOA

Sept.01, 2009.....biometric appointment

Sept.12, 2009.....rcved interview letter

Oct. 19, 2009.....date of interview....passed!!!!!

Nov. 18, 2009.....Oath Ceremony...yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just had a copy of my marriage certificate with me to change things like SSN, bank account, credit cards, etc.

Can't change my driver's license to the married name until I have the Resident Card with my married name showing on it.

Agree on what everyone says about filling out the AOS forms. I wrote my married name on the first line and then entered my maiden name on the other name line. We'll see if mine come in my married name. ;)

Our Timeline:

K-1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2007-03-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-04-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-08-07

Packet 3 Received : 2007-09-10

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-09-12

Interview Date : 2008-02-13 Montreal U.S. Consulate APPROVED!

Visa Received By Mail : 2008-02-20

Moved: 2008-03-01 The long drive from Canada to Florida!

Applied for SSN : 2008-03-12

Received SSN by mail: 2008-03-21

Wedding Date : 2008-05-03

67Or.jpg.png

AOS, EAD & AP

Sent in AOS, EAD & AP Applications : 2008-05-09

AOS, EAD & AP Applications received by UCIS: 2008-05-12

AOS, EAD & AP NOA1 : 2008-05-16, received in mail 2008-05-20

AOS, EAD NOA2 : 2008-05-21, received in mail 2008-05-27

AOS Case transferred to CA: 2008-06-03

AOS Case being processed: 2008-06-09

Biometrics Interview: 2008-06-11

AOS & EAD touched: 2008-06-11

AOS & EAD touched: 2008-06-12

AOS touched: 2008-06-19

AOS Card production ordered: 2008-07-11

AOS Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident: 2008-07-14

AOS touched: 2008-07-16

AOS touched: 2008-07-17

U.S Resident's Card recieved in mail!!!!: 2008-07-18

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

This is good info, thank you all! ^_^ I'm about to start filling out the forms, and on my marriage certificate there was also no indication for a name change.

About the SS card: after getting married, I went to the Brazilian Consulate to get my marriage registered and the name changed in my passport. They stamped my new married named " due to marriage the name has changed to...". So I told the SS officer my name was changed, but he said that it was better to get my SS card on my current maiden name and then have it changed later. He was nice, but never wanted to see my marriage certificate or the page on my passport with the name changed. I guess I will have to make a second trip down there to have it changed afterwards. <_<

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

This is one of those things that varies by state. In NY, when applying for the marriage license, we were asked what name she will use. And our marriage certificate clearly shows the name change. It lists her maiden name and new surname right below it.

For example:

Name: Maria Smith

New Surname: Jones

Edited by kid brooklyn

Timeline

Thank you very much for all your responses. It was great learning from people who have actually been there. Info like name change and all are not clearly stated on the USCIS website...

I have gone ahead and put m husband's last name on all my AOS forms. I am still waiting for the county registrar to mail in our certified copy of marriage. Last time I went to SS office with my mother in law, they said I needed that. It has been more than a week and I am still waiting....guess I have to be patient. I am also trying to set up an appointment for medical exam. I read that I only need to have the vaccine supplement since I've already done it the whole medical in Manila. Hope that it will go well! Wish me luck you guys and thanks again. =)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.