ShadMot

Sex Offender Applying for K1

134 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Right, family immigration is a privilege, not a right.

Yes but if that privilege gets taken away in an unconstitutional manner then rights would have been violated.

The need to draw lines is why we have both laws and judges.

Agreed. Quite often laws are created and passed that violate constitutional rights. It becomes challenged in state and federal courts and while the Court will eventually rule a law unconstitutional and strike it down, this process can take several years. And in the meantime, the unconstitutional law that should have never existed in the first place, applies and is in full effect until that Court ruling.

Adam Walsh is a relatively new law. There are many constitutional challenges to this law that are currently pending in court. Until those rulings, it's wait and see mode.

What if I were 18 years and one day old, and my 'rape victim' was 17 years and 355 days old?
You can play that game all the way back to birth. If 17/355 is OK, then what about 17/354? 353? What about 16/364? 15/364? How far do you go? At some point, you have to say enough is enough and draw an arbitrary line (or draw no line at all). The law is the law. Violate it at your own peril. Personally, I dunno why USCIS (or Congress) permits sex offenders to have family-based immigration petition privileges at all.

Uhh, the first "relations" that my HUSBAND and I had were statutory. (Thank god you're not in charge and he wasn't executed?!) I certainly knew what /I/ was doing -- he was the newbie, actually. At the end of the day, I guess I should be glad that I had family who liked/approved of him, as well as a mother who'd raised eight kids before me...so they never thought of pressing charges!

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
What if I were 18 years and one day old, and my 'rape victim' was 17 years and 355 days old?
You can play that game all the way back to birth. If 17/355 is OK, then what about 17/354? 353? What about 16/364? 15/364? How far do you go? At some point, you have to say enough is enough and draw an arbitrary line (or draw no line at all). The law is the law. Violate it at your own peril. Personally, I dunno why USCIS (or Congress) permits sex offenders to have family-based immigration petition privileges at all.

Wow! I don't fall under any of this, but for someone to come out and actually have your attitude is really scary. In Canada the age of consent is 14. Funny thing, you don't see cars full of child molesters following school buses. Let's take it a step further. People that have an IQ of less than 75 should not be allowed to file a petition. If that was the case, you would be out of luck.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Uhh, the first "relations" that my HUSBAND and I had were statutory...he was the newbie, actually
So, you had been driven around the block a few times. Cool!

In Canada the age of consent is 14.
Damn. I wish I had known that when I was stuck in Baie Comeau for two weeks

Funny thing, you don't see cars full of child molesters following school buses.
That's because when I see a school bus ahead, I take a side road. I hate being stuck behind those things.

Let's take it a step further. People that have an IQ of less than 75 should not be allowed to file a petition. If that was the case, you would be out of luck.
How would you know? And nice personal attack by the way.

Cheers!

AKD

Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a question, I have a friend of mine who's spouse is a registered sex offender, he is the US citizen that filed for the I 130 back in 2005, 2006, they were approved for the I130. Can it now be revoked because he committed a crime 17 years ago? When did this law go into effect that if you are a sex offender you can't petiton family members? Holy ####### my best friend is gonna freak out.

Oh god is my friend gonna get deported now?

thanks

N-400

10/26/09 Sent application to Lewisville TX.

10/27/09 Rec'd Application signed by B. Conteh

10/29/09 Check cashed

11/02/09 Rec'd NOA date showing 10/29/09

11/09/09 Rec'd letter Bio Appointment

11/17/09 Bio Appointment 8am

11/20/09 Called FBI-Prints were sent back to USCIS same day.

12/03/09 Rec'd email from USCIS that the RFE was a mistake.

12/04/09 Rec'd email from USCIS saying that I have been transferred for an interview.

12/07/09 Rec'd letter for interview on 1/11/10 @11am in Fairfax, VA.

01/11/10 Interview completed. Passed test decision can't be made.

03/02/10 Contacted Senator's office...No reply yet!

03/04/10 Senator office called says can take up to 120 days.

04/12/10 Service request filed.

05/12/10 Contacted Senator's office again.

05/12/10 Told over the phone that I was approved. Believe it when I see it!

06/04/10 Senators office tells me the adjudicator who interviewed me thinks I have a criminal record. Send out all paper work showing no criminal record.

06/08/10 Leave for Canada

06/09/10 Get RCMP certificate showing no criminal record. Fax off to senators office.

06/23/10 Approved for Citizenship

06/24/10 USCIS contacts Senators office

06/28/10 Find out that I have been approved for citizenship and they are just waiting to schedule my oath.

07/12/10 Put in line for oath ceremony....wonder how long that will be!

08/18/10 Called USCIS confirmed they sent oath letter for 09/17/2010 at 9am.

09/17/10 Oath ceremony at 9am..... US Citizen!!!! Applied for passport.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I have a question, I have a friend of mine who's spouse is a registered sex offender, he is the US citizen that filed for the I 130 back in 2005, 2006, they were approved for the I130. Can it now be revoked because he committed a crime 17 years ago? When did this law go into effect that if you are a sex offender you can't petiton family members? Holy ####### my best friend is gonna freak out.

Oh god is my friend gonna get deported now?

thanks

For the most part, US laws are not retroactive. Notable exception being Clinton's tax increases.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If I remember correctly it was effective July 2006. Regardless of the actual date, the law affected any unapproved petitions as of that date and they all had to be reviewed.

So approved is approved... either they were approved before law enactment or they were reviewed and cleared.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...
I understand that this may not be the most popular take but i have to say this. As a victim of sexual assault, i say denial of immigration benefits is absolutely fair. Each case should be handled carefully though and treated on a case by case basis. This might be a minor case to the person convicted of this problem but you should wonder if it is indeed minor to the other person. A 19 year old having sex with a 16 year old seems wrong to me. IF you do not see it as wrong, then maybe you are not rehabilitated. This may seem harsh to you but that is how i feel as a victim of sexual assault.

Thank you.

December 22nd, 2008: Legally wed!

March 16th, 2009: AOS package posted via FedEx

March 18th, 2009: AOS package delivered, signed for by J. Chyba

March 24th, 2009: NOA1

March 25th, 2009: Check cashed

March 27th, 2009: NOA1 in hand

April 3rd, 2009: Case transferred to CSC (YES!)

April 9th, 2009: Biometrics

May 6th, 2009: EAD and AP approval notices sent

May 12th, 2009: AOS Touch

May 13th, 2009: AOS Touch, EAD received

June 18th, 2009: CRIS approval email, card production ordered - yes!

June 18th, 2009: Welcome notice mailed

June 22nd, 2009: Welcome notice received

July 2, 2009: Green card received!

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
Hi - There seems to be much speculation and misinformation here. I am an Adam Walsh Petitioner ! The law is so new even the immigration lawyers do not know how to interpret it. Let's share our experiences and stick to the facts !

I will not give up :dance: I have the right as a U.S. citizen to be with my loved one :dance:

by commiting a criminal offense that falls into a category subject to special legislation, you have given up that right. you now have a possibility of granted priveledge.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I AM A K1 visa filer and have a sex offense in my past " ten years ago"... We filed last year of july and until now we hear nothing. I hope you can light me up..thank you..

My TIMELINE:

06-01-07.FILE I-129F

06-18-07.NOA1 Hard Copy

08-05-09.TOUCHED EVEN WITHOUT A CALL

04-02-09.BIOMETRIC SCHED.

11-05-09.NOID

11-18-09.RESPONSE of NOID

04-27-10.TOUCHED

04-27-10.Case Transfer to Vermont

08-19-10.Touched

08-20-10.Touched(RFE)

09-28-10.Received RFE

10-14-10.USCIS Received RFE

10-15-10.Touched

10-21-10.Touched

11-20-10.Touched Saturday

---------------------waiting and is Praying for the Approval..

~~~~~~~~~~ THERE'S A RAINBOW ALWAYS AFTER THE RAIN~~~~~~~~~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi,i am sorry to read so many cases unresolved because of Adam Walsh Act,i just wanted to share my experience me and my fiance have the same problem we applyed last year in September 2007 for K1,he has a criminal record because he was over 18 and had sex with a girl who was was under the legal age for sex...this happened like 12 years ago,anyway we applied last year in September and they delay us,first they sayed will have an answer in May but in may we got an email from immigration saying they will make more backroundcheck other 6 months and call a number first week of December after this 6 months will pass...in my heart i hope they will not delay more but i read in this topic cases with a couple waiting for like arround 2 years ago...is so sad to see u dont get any kind of answer....they just tell u to call back in few months or weeks tahs what they did to us in the last 8 months (we applied 1 year and 2 months ago).

I just hope our cases will get any kind of answer soon at least we will know what to do or try ..to be with the one we love.

I saw few perons asking if they have criminal record if they should apply.. my personal answer is to Do whatver they need but to Not apply for a family visas in this conditions cause can get years till u get an answer and is just so hard to wait and not know when everything will end.This law is new and they dont know how to handle it it affects this petitions even if is not fair they try to protect us the foreing fiances from them??but they can easily marry without any quetsions with a fiance same nationality...and is so bad this law was voted in so many states and they try to make worse things after all states will addopt it.

i wish you luck and i ll keep writing in case i will find out some progresses in my case

Rachel

But if they did nothing, did not try to make sure that the foreign SO was alerted, then someone would blame the govenment of the US for not protecting them, for allowing potential predators to go outside of the US with promises of green cards, etc. to lure unsuspecting people into a relationship.

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. But erring on the side of caution is better in this case because the real predators do the kind of damage that you don't just get over.

I do wonder though, how people in these long distance relationships who have spent so little time in real life with their SO can decide that they are indeed trustworthy. I'd never be able to trust someone under these conditions. I have children and this makes it all the more important to be vigilent. With a bazillion guys out there who have never been convicted of anything, let alone a sex crime, choosing someone who was seems pretty risky to me. I'd much rather have someone who has the actual resources to decide if the person is a problem do the investigating than to rely on the person's word.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I understand that this may not be the most popular take but i have to say this. As a victim of sexual assault, i say denial of immigration benefits is absolutely fair. Each case should be handled carefully though and treated on a case by case basis. This might be a minor case to the person convicted of this problem but you should wonder if it is indeed minor to the other person. A 19 year old having sex with a 16 year old seems wrong to me. IF you do not see it as wrong, then maybe you are not rehabilitated. This may seem harsh to you but that is how i feel as a victim of sexual assault.

Thank you.

I sympathize with those who have been sexually harassed, molested, or assaulted. Unfortunately, I've had some of that myself in the past. However, I don't think it's fair to group CONSENSUAL sex in with crimes that are FORCED upon others (and not JUST minors). I don't think it's unusual for a 19 year old to think it's ok (morally AND legally) to have sex with a willing 16 year old (especially during an ongoing relationship). The laws are different in each state (and change over time), and I'm not sure the OP even knew he was breaking the law back then. No one knows ALL of the laws, and many have incorrect information due to mistaken "common knowledge". I understand why he doesn't think what happened years ago should affect his life now. Honestly, I know I did things at 18 - 20 that I thank God don't affect me now. I'm sure most of the people here can say the same. At my age now, it's easy to look back and think how stupid I was to drink when I was under 21. But I also remember that AT THAT TIME, it didn't seem like there was really anything wrong with it. Most 19 year olds are still, in some ways, children (hence the drinking laws - no offense to any 19 year olds reading this). We all mature over time. Had I been caught when I was young, I would have 'paid the price', learned my lesson, and then moved on with my life. The OP is concerned he might not get that luxury.

Maybe a 19 year old having sex with a 16 year old seems wrong to you, but from what I'm hearing, it's only illegal in certain states (and during certain time periods in history).

Also, remember that the Adam Walsh law was not in effect at the time he was 19. So it seems like retroactive punishment in this case.

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Also, remember that the Adam Walsh law was not in effect at the time he was 19. So it seems like retroactive punishment in this case.

Adam Walsh Child Protection Act is not retroactive to his offense of 19 years ago... It is about eligibility for a current petition filing.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thats why they call it Jail Bait..where do we draw the line??

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.