GaryC

Lets collect some information about IMBRA effects

1,434 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I hope everything thing goes well for us all. I just don't understand why they need to return the petition to the US. Don't they have our information on record at the NVC or USCIS, that they could just run name checks, and if something pops up with your name, then they can recall it, but if your name doesn't get hits then no problem. They should begin with names with the closest interview dates, and move down the line, therefore they would not have to cancel interviews, if your name doesn't get hits. It just amazes me how unorganized and how unproffesional our government is working. I would have assumed that they did a criminal backround check before approving the petition.

Good Luck to us all on our long Journeys!!! Wish we were all as lucky as those who enter illegally, but we are law abiding citizens, and we get the shaft usually.

Sorry had to Vent!!!!!!!!

I-129F Timeline:

03-10-06 - Sent I-129F to USCIS

03-15-06 - NOA1

03-25-06 - NOA2 Approval

08-28-06 - Interview!!!

11-22-06 - Got the Visa!!!

AOS Timeline:

02-08-07 - I-485 sent

02-14-07 - NOA1 (Sent to Missouri)

03-06-07 - Biometrics Appointment

03-07-07 - Transferred to CSC

05-03-07 - Card Production Ordered Email

05-10-07 - Green Card In Hand

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03-05-09 - I-751 sent

03-09-09 - NOA1 (1 yr Extension)

04-08-09 - Biometrics

07-09-09 - Card Production Ordered Email

07-17-09 - Green Card In Hand

I-130 Filing for Step-Son

11-30-09 - Received at USCIS

12-04-09 - NOA1

03-01-10 - NOA2

03-05-10 - NVC Case # Assigned

03-09-10 - NVC Mailed DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-12-10 - Emailed DS-3032 to NVC

03-13-10 - Received Email from NVC stating they received DS-3032 (Also received AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 in the mail)

03-14-10 - Paid Affidavit of Support Fee and IV Bill online

03-16-10 - NVC Website updated to PAID for both fee's

03-17-10 - Petitioner and Agent received emails to further proceed with case

08-05-10 - NVC Case Completed

10-27-10 - Interview PASSED

10-28-10 - Picked up Visa

Mike (United States) & Huong (Vietnam)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
As I mentioned in my post, we most definitely didn't meet through an IMB and were very clear in stating that we met in person at a sporting event, but our petition was still recalled.

In addition to describing how we met the first time, we also mentioned that he traveled up to visit me during the summer and supported it with the stamps in his passport (even though Canada doesn't usually stamp passports anymore, they were working to rule at the time), photos of us at a city-run event he attended that I coordinated (it's listed in my employment history), and AMTRAK stubs with our names on them from our travel within the US (and both purchased with his credit card). There should be no concern whatsoever that we met through an IMB. I hope this means we'll be re-approved quickly.

It doesn't matter how you met.

"Q #10: Does this law apply at all to couples who did NOT meet through an IMB?

Answer: Yes. This law does NOT APPLY ONLY TO IMBs. There are provisions in this law which apply to ALL petitioners and couples, regardless of how they met. They apply to ANY K Visa petititoner, even those who did NOT meet their fiancee or spouse through an IMB, but for instance just through friends or family. "

http://usaimmigrationattorney.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=2

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Answer: Yes. This law does NOT APPLY ONLY TO IMBs. There are provisions in this law which apply to ALL petitioners and couples, regardless of how they met. They apply to ANY K Visa petititoner, even those who did NOT meet their fiancee or spouse through an IMB, but for instance just through friends or family. "

But didn't someone say that that particular site was trying to encourage people to hire an attorney. So wouldn't it behoove them to state that it affects everyone? I think I remember someone saying that, but I could be wrong??? :wacko:

Hold on to what is good even if it is a handful of earth.

Hold on to what you believe even if it is a tree which stands by itself.

Hold on to what you must do even if it is a long way from here.

Hold on to life even when it is easier letting go.

Hold on to my hand even when I have gone away from you.

--Pueblo Blessing

ticker.png

ticker.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

But didn't someone say that that particular site was trying to encourage people to hire an attorney. So wouldn't it behoove them to state that it affects everyone? I think I remember someone saying that, but I could be wrong??? :wacko:

Well, actually it makes more sense to me. Why would someone who goes through an "IMB", which is still loosely defined, be more apt at having a domestic violence background than someone who met their fiance through a chat room? They both should be scrutinized the same.

JMHO

Timeline

Well, actually it makes more sense to me. Why would someone who goes through an "IMB", which is still loosely defined, be more apt at having a domestic violence background than someone who met their fiance through a chat room? They both should be scrutinized the same.

JMHO

I want to agree with you because it does seem only fair--and a lot less like profiling. But someone must have done some research and found out some grim statistics about IMB marriages in particular or they wouldn't have written the law in the first place. Although trying to fit logic into the legislative process is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

--Pueblo Blessing

ticker.png

ticker.png

It doesn't matter how you met...

Yes, I'm aware that the new law affects everyone. I was just responding to the comment that it seemed like the recalls were only affecting those who met through an IMB or were vague in describing how they met... we were neither and were still affected, so I wanted to make that clear.

K-1 Visa (176 days)

18 Apr 2006 - NOA1

Lost case file, congressman intervention...

4 Oct 2006 - Interview Day! Approved!

AOS/EAD/AP

23 Jan 2007 - NOA for EAD & AOS

2 Feb 2007 - NOA for AP

Wrong A# printed on my visa, find out I have 2 A#s (both different from # on visa), case sent to storage before green card was made...

29 Dec 2007 - Green Card Received!

K-1 Visa Part II (uh oh)

30 Aug 2008 - Second Packet 3 received (umm?)

12 Feb 2009 - Montreal requests copy of green card to close file (sent)

24 Apr 2009 - CRIS notice saying my case is being reviewed. (eek!?)

I-751 (141 days)

4 Sep 2009 - Documents mailed to VSC

9 Sep 2009 - Documents stamped received at VSC

14 Sep 2009 - NOA received

23 Sep 2009 - Biometrics letter received

15 Oct 2009 - Biometrics appointment

13 Jan 2010 - Card Production Ordered!

22 Jan 2010 - New Green Card Received!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Name - Sacha

Country - UK

Service Centre - TSC

NOA1 - 13/03/2006

Thanks

Sacha

2nd March 2006 - I-129F Sent

13th March 2006 - NOA1 & Cheque cashed

30th June 2006 - Received RFE re IMBRA

3rd July 2006 - Mailed RFE to CSC

4th July 2006 - Touched re RFE

5th July 2006 - Touched

18th July 2006 - Touched confirmed receipt for RFE. #######?! I know they received the RFE on 4th July!! Skanks!!!

17th August 2006 - NOA2 finally!!!

11th September 2006 - Package 3 sent to US Consulate (DS-230 part 1, DS-156, DS-156K)

8th October 2006 - Sent checklist to Consulate to confirm that all documents are available for interview

13th October 2006 - Medical (11:30am) - Friday 13th Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!

7th December 2006 - Interview at 10am

7th December 2006 - Consular requested "Proof of non-existence of birth certificate"

15th December 2006 - Courier picked up "Proof of non existence of birth certficate" - what I did? I contacted my lawyer in Vietnam and asked him to search for my NON-EXISTENCE birth certificate and had him write an affidavit of his finding. What a waste of time and money!!

22nd December 2006 - K1 Approved. Finally!

www.johnandtuyen.com

Character is destiny

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I want to agree with you because it does seem only fair--and a lot less like profiling. But someone must have done some research and found out some grim statistics about IMB marriages in particular or they wouldn't have written the law in the first place. Although trying to fit logic into the legislative process is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

When the senator from Washington thought up this law in 2003 a study was commissioned to gather statistics on physical abuse in visa-related marriages, and abuse of the system in general. That study and another subsequent study, found the actual number of confirmed abuse cases was so small as to be meaningless in the context of the large number of visas issued.

When she again tried to get this law passed in 2005, the senator didn't mention the study because it would hurt her platform of fighting rampant abuse of poor illiterate women brought to the US by abusive men. In fact, there were no hearings at all. IMBRA was added to the law protecting women act and there was only a voice vote.

When IMBRA was challenged, the study was brought to light. A federal judge issued an injunction against IMBRA for probably violating two of our constitutional rights. He also felt the law was overreaching and unfair in that it only covered IMBs. Since there was no statistical evidence that IMB marriages were prone to abuse, why not protect people who meet in brothels, or libraries? Why are international Match.com marriages exempt from the initial contact disclosure requirements of IMBRA? To be fair, the law should state that domestic women who meet domestic men in the US should have to carry a letter showing how many children they've had, every address they've had since they were 18, and that they're not in the sexual predator database.

12/06/05 Mailed I-129f to TSC

12/12/05 NOA1 date from CSC

03/14/06 NOA2 date from CSC

03/22/06 case mailed from NVC to Kiev

03/25/06 Received snail mail notice from CSC, application mailed to NVC

04/05/06 Kiev Embassy mailed Packet 3

04/16/06 Fiancee received Packet 3

04/26/06 Fiancee faxed KEV-1 checklist to embassy

05/04/06 Kiev Embassy mailed Packet 4

05/29/06 Medical exam

05/31/06 Interview in Kiev

06/02/06 Received Visa

06/24/06 POE JFK

09/15/06 Married!

Timeline

When the senator from Washington thought up this law in 2003 a study was commissioned to gather statistics on physical abuse in visa-related marriages, and abuse of the system in general. That study and another subsequent study, found the actual number of confirmed abuse cases was so small as to be meaningless in the context of the large number of visas issued.

When she again tried to get this law passed in 2005, the senator didn't mention the study because it would hurt her platform of fighting rampant abuse of poor illiterate women brought to the US by abusive men. In fact, there were no hearings at all. IMBRA was added to the law protecting women act and there was only a voice vote.

When IMBRA was challenged, the study was brought to light. A federal judge issued an injunction against IMBRA for probably violating two of our constitutional rights. He also felt the law was overreaching and unfair in that it only covered IMBs. Since there was no statistical evidence that IMB marriages were prone to abuse, why not protect people who meet in brothels, or libraries? Why are international Match.com marriages exempt from the initial contact disclosure requirements of IMBRA? To be fair, the law should state that domestic women who meet domestic men in the US should have to carry a letter showing how many children they've had, every address they've had since they were 18, and that they're not in the sexual predator database.

!!!!! :o:(

It sounds a bit similar to the argument I had with my mother when I used to be on Yahoo! Personals. "But mom, he could be just as crazy if I met him in a bar on a Friday night!!"

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that.

--Pueblo Blessing

ticker.png

ticker.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
I sent my 129f on March 10 to VSC, received NOA2 on March 24. NVC has already completed processing and my financee already received her packet from the Moscow Embassy. Her interview is set for June 13.

I was after the March 6 date completely, and it moved fast for me.

My only concern is that USCIS will re-assess their approvals made after March 6 in order to conduct the criminal investigation and such. I have not heard any word about people getting their approvals "revoked" yet, but would be interested to know if anyone else has heard such a thing.

I highly doubt that the USG has the energy to revoke the approvals made after that time...they are probably still trying to figure out what to do with the ones coming in.

People take a look at this thread started by ppboo...

MY Case GET RECALL after my Interview APPROVED!!!, I just got a call from my Embassy

Our case has gone all the way through the process and just before picking up the visa it was recalled!!!!!

Sheldon (US) & Wendy (Malaysia)

2006-03-09 - I-129F Sent to VSC

2006-03-13 - NOA1

2006-03-25 - NOA2

2006-03-27 - NVC Received

2006-03-29 - NVC Left

Not sure when Consulate Received

2006-04-10 - Sent email to local Consular, Consular advice that Packet 3 sent on 10 April

2006-04-21 - Received Packet 3!

2006-04-24 - Sent DS230 Part 1 and Checklist back to Embassy

2006-04-28 - Packet 4!

2006-04-29 - Medical check-up (result will be ready in 5 days)

2006-05-11 - Interview Day!!!! - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2006-05-17 - Got a call from my Embassy, my case recall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2006-05-19 - Suppose to pick up my VISA and passport

2003-April – Meet my fiancé at work place

2003-July – Engagement

2005-May - Appointed an Attorney to work on our K1 VISA

2005-Aug – Attorney mishandling our case, they told us will expedite our case

2006-02-16 to 2006-03-09 - With my fiancé in US for our new apartment move

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2006-03-13 - NOA1

2006-03-25 - NOA2

2006-03-29 - NVC Left

2006-04-10 - Sent email to Embassy for Packet 3, Consular advice Packet 3 has sent on 10 April

2006-04-28 – Self collected Packet 4 at Embassy and make appointment for medical

2006-04-29 - Medical check-up

2006-05-11 - Interview Day!!!! - APPROVED!!!

2006-05-15 - Submitted my resignation from work

2006-05-17 - Got a call from Embassy, my visa issuance ON HOLD due to new law IMBRA, they are not able to issue my VISA!!!

2006-05-19 - Pick up my passport without VISA. No information as to when my VISA will be ready...

2006-05-22 - Embassy inform that our case has sent back to NVC via FedEx

2006-06-24 - Last day of my job after serving 1 month notice. (Manage to extend my last work day to 6/24)

~~~ Still don't know what they need from us...

2006-06-25 - USC's finace fly to Malaysia...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

NOA 1: 10 March

NOA 2: 11 May

Texas service centre

K1 Application

23 Feb 2006 - I-129 mailed

14 August 2006 - Approved!!!! :-)

21 October 2006 - Married in the mountains of North Carolina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Application

6 November 2006 - Applied for AOS, EAD and AP

09 Decemeber 2006 - e-mail received to say case was trasferred to California

16 December 2006- biometric appointment in Charlotte, NC

20 Jan 2007 -AP approved

24 Jan -EAD approved

28 June -Green card ordered

7 July wedding celebrations in Scotland

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

I sent my 129f on March 10 to VSC, received NOA2 on March 24. NVC has already completed processing and my financee already received her packet from the Moscow Embassy. Her interview is set for June 13.

I was after the March 6 date completely, and it moved fast for me.

My only concern is that USCIS will re-assess their approvals made after March 6 in order to conduct the criminal investigation and such. I have not heard any word about people getting their approvals "revoked" yet, but would be interested to know if anyone else has heard such a thing.

I highly doubt that the USG has the energy to revoke the approvals made after that time...they are probably still trying to figure out what to do with the ones coming in.

People take a look at this thread started by ppboo...

MY Case GET RECALL after my Interview APPROVED!!!, I just got a call from my Embassy

Our case has gone all the way through the process and just before picking up the visa it was recalled!!!!!

2006-03-13 - NOA1

2006-03-25 - NOA2

2006-03-29 - NVC Left

Not sure when Consulate Received

2006-04-10 - Sent email to local Consular, Consular advice that Packet 3 sent on 10 April

2006-04-28 - Packet 4!

2006-04-29 - Medical check-up (result will be ready in 5 days)

2006-05-11 - Interview Day!!!! - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2006-05-17 - Got a call from my Embassy, my case recall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2006-05-19 - Suppose to pick up my VISA and passport

:o oh my god, thats really someting!!! I cant believe they recalled it when you already received your approval and was about to pick up your visa! WOW what craziness :no:

I am so sorry to hear this

Edited by Aquelunya

The journey begins...got the package together sent FedEx OV 2/22/06

Packet received in VT Center 10:53 AM Signed by G.Merrihew 2/23/06

Packet returned, check made out for the wrong amount, I feel stupid :( 3/4/06

New check made out, given to Fedex today but will go out Monday morning 3/6/06

Packet received SECOND time signed by same person at 11:00 am, please God let this be it! 3/7/06

NOA 1-------------------------3/8/06

Check cashed----------------3/9/06

Touched----------------------3/21/06

NO2 approved electronically!!!!!!!!!------3/22/06

Touched, I guess they mailed the petition out today-------3/23/06

NVC sent out approved petition!!! YAYYYYYYYY-------------3/27/06

Packet 3 received by my fiance----------------------------4/9/06

Medical appnt.------------------------------------------4/10/06

Packet 3 sent back-----------4/14/06

Interview Date Given for MAY 15------------------4/24/06 Interview cancelled 5/11/06

Case reopened by VSC---7/13/06

Touched-------------------7/14/06

Touched------------------7/15/06

RFE Update!!!!----------7/17/06

RFE Sent back---------7/22/06

RFE Update Online----7/26/06

Touched---------------7/27/06

Touched--------------7/28/06

Touched-------------7/29/06

Touched------------8/09/06

Re-APPROVED-----8/09/06

NVC sent out to the embassy---8/14/06

Interview re-scheduled for----- 9/26/06!!!!!!!

APPROVED_RECEIVED VISA IN HAND 10/03/06!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.