Oana31

I overstayed in US last year

16 posts in this topic

Initially, I had an H2B visa, then I aplied for a F1 visa. USCIS asked for further evidence, which I provided, but in the meantime my visa expired, and 4 months after my visa expired I got a negative answer regarding change of visa. Since I was broke, I had to stay some more there to pay some debts, etc.etc, buy plane tickets, so the total of my overstay is 9 months. What can happen to me?

Do you think they will deny my K1 visa?

US Citizen since 08/11/2015.

Yes.

A waiver is possible after the denial.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

An overstay of 180 days to 12 months is an automatic 3 year ban. An overstay of more than a year is an automatic 10 year ban.

Ast stated above, they may approve you initially but you will most likely need a waiver which could take some time. See a good immigration attorney.

timeline.jpg

An overstay of 180 days to 12 months is an automatic 3 year ban. An overstay of more than a year is an automatic 10 year ban.

Ast stated above, they may approve you initially but you will most likely need a waiver which could take some time. See a good immigration attorney.

Wonder if there's a ban if you overstay between 1 day - 179 days?

beach_1_001.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Wonder if there's a ban if you overstay between 1 day - 179 days?

No there isn't.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline
Initially, I had an H2B visa, then I aplied for a F1 visa. USCIS asked for further evidence, which I provided, but in the meantime my visa expired, and 4 months after my visa expired I got a negative answer regarding change of visa. Since I was broke, I had to stay some more there to pay some debts, etc.etc, buy plane tickets, so the total of my overstay is 9 months. What can happen to me?

With the war on terror at its full force, and since there are no terrorists to arrest, you might also be arrested and what happens after that, god knows.

Woman arrested at JFK for overstaying U.S. visa more than a decade earlier

REYKJAVIK, Iceland - Iceland's government has asked the U.S. ambassador to explain the treatment of an Icelandic tourist who says she was held in shackles before being deported from the United States.

The woman, Erla Osk Arnardottir Lillendahl, 33, was arrested Sunday when she arrived at JFK airport in New York because she had overstayed a U.S. visa more than 10 years earlier.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22263392/

AOS

2009-01-12===> Sent AOS packet via UPS
2009-01-13===> AOS packet received
2009-01-28===> NOA's received in the mail
2009-02-01===> Biometric appt received in the mail
2009-02-06===> Completed biometric appt thru walk-in
2009-02-06===> Applied for expedited AP thru the phone
2009-02-14===> Received AP in the mail
2009-02-11===> Case transferred to CSC
2009-02-23===> EAD received
2009-05-02===> Green card received in the mail, no interview done.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Yeah, I think it's a tad extreme to think he/she would face similar circumstances...especially where it was less than a year and another visa was at least in process at the time. Overcoming this to receive the K1 and be able to enter legally is part of what he/she is asking. Not if he/she comes for a visit and is then detained and deported.

If you're coming in on a K1 and have been approved then you obviously would have already taken care of the overstay with a waiver to receive the visa and you will be set to enter.

good luck to you.

timeline.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The petition will be approved, the visa will be refused, a waiver submission will be required.

YMMV

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

The petition will be approved, the visa will be refused, a waiver submission will be required.

That's what I think to. So, you might as well start looking into the waiver now.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Well, I applied for a Change of Status, and the negative answer to that came 4 months after my visa expired. As far as I know, the fact that I had applied with USCIS for another visa would legally cover those 4 months.

The problem is, actually, that I overstayed a little bit less than 6 months after I got my negative answer. So, considering that I have less than 6 months overstayed, do you think I will still have to go through all that waiver thing?

Thanks a lot !

US Citizen since 08/11/2015.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
Well, I applied for a Change of Status, and the negative answer to that came 4 months after my visa expired. As far as I know, the fact that I had applied with USCIS for another visa would legally cover those 4 months.

The problem is, actually, that I overstayed a little bit less than 6 months after I got my negative answer. So, considering that I have less than 6 months overstayed, do you think I will still have to go through all that waiver thing?

Thanks a lot !

Hi Oana31.

If I were you, I would consult a good immigration attorney. Discussing your concern here won't really solve your anxiety. You should go and talk to a professional.

Good Luck

Nao

Past History

10/09/2007: Sent out I-129F

07/31/2008: K1 visa issued

08/05/2008: U.S. entry as a K1 visa holder

09/03/2008: Wedding at the City Hall:)

AOS timeline

09/18/2008: Sent out AOS/EAD/AP via Fedex

09/22/2008: Application received

09/26/2008: Application received Date on NOA1

10/16/2008: Biometrics appointment

10/17/2008: Touch

12/08/2008: Filed a Service Request for EAD (more than 75 days since petition received.)

12/22/2008: Infopass Appointment (Day 91 since EAD application filed)

12/22/2008: EAD approved (card production ordered/Day 91)

12/31/2008: AP received in mail :)

01/02/2009: EAD received in mail :)

01/09/2009: AOS interview letter received in mail :)

02/20/2009: Interview :) => Approved!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Probably have to file a special waiver stating why and how so you can get K1, good luck.

:thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes.

Hello,

I also have same problem,, i was overstaying in japan b4 almost 10 yrs ago for 3 yrs..is that also can affect to my k1 visa application???

plz any one can help to figure this out po?

Prayer is the best to start a day...A day for us to have faith to face trials & value what life is....!!! have a nice day to everyone!!!!

LokaShadow04

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yes.

Hello,

I also have same problem,, i was overstaying in japan b4 almost 10 yrs ago for 3 yrs..is that also can affect to my k1 visa application???

plz any one can help to figure this out po?

An overstay in Japan has no impact on a visa to the USA unless criminal activity shows up on your police report from Japan. If you lived there three years, you'll need that police report.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Timeline

Thanks a lot !

Your overstay includes the time you had another petition in process. If a request is denied, the clock reverts and starts to tick when the original infraction began.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.