Jeraly

US Savings accounts

16 posts in this topic

I'm just trying to figure out the best place to stick our savings when I move so we can use it as a deposit for a mortgage when we are ready to buy.

I don't mind tying it up for a year in a bond or something but I am totally clueless as to where to start looking for savings accounts and bonds that have decent interest rates. In the UK we have ISAs where you don't have to pay tax on the interest - I just wondered if anyone had any bright ideas for saving?

Cheers!! :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

obviously I don't have much knowledge about the US, but I recommend ING to everyone, as a great everyday savings account - they always pay a high rate of interest, you can access your money with a very minimum delay, and there are no fees or charges, ever :)

you have to link it from an existing bank account - ie you can't withdraw from it directly - but I've never found that a problem... you just move your money back and forth via the internet or phone, and then withdraw it from the linked account via ATM or whatever

I have ING accounts in Australia and the UK (the Australian one is paying over 7% right now :o ), and Dave has one here in the States, and I have always found them excellent :D

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Hmmm sounds cool - I know mum has mentioned Ing before but didn't realise they were worldwide :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We have ING. Think right now the interest rate is 3%. Was over 4% at 1 time.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Visit http://bankrate.com/

Its a very comprehensive site for all your banking/borrowing needs. Gives you all the information you will need.

K3 Timeline

06/14/2004 Receipt Date at NBC

12/22/2004 Petition Approved

01/10/2005 NVC Transferred Case to Mumbai Consulate

01/28/2005 Packet 3 collected from Consulate

02/02/2005 Packet 3 submitted

03/12/2005 Received Interview Letter dated 03/03/2005

04/04/2005 Interview : Put on Administrative Procedure / Review

04/06/2006 CR1 Visa Issued

04/24/2006 IR1 VISA ISSUED

Naturalization Timeline

02/11/2009 Mailed N400 application

03/13/2009 Biometrics appointment

05/13/2009 Interview & Oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

HSBC online has a 3.50% APY for online savings accounts.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Diana

Almost :P HSBC is 3.05% My wife has this account and we have found it very easy to operate. You can get better rates elsewhere, but this is a pretty good rate and I like the additional security of banking with a large organisation that I know.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I agree.....we use ING too. So far, I really like it.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

we use ING and I have to say - they are wonderful. No issues whatsoever. Their customer service so far is second to none.

Would recommend them to anyone.

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We have a GMAC online savings account and we are getting 3% or so right now. Was very easy to set up, and we have auto deposit set up now as well. The interest is adding up. :)

Just make sure that you find out if they have any rules or regs as far as fees are concerned (ie. minimum balance, etc).

Edited by Cassie

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

that's on of the reasons I like ING so much - no minimum balance, no minimum monthly deposit, no fees, - just great rates and excellent customer service, as perfect said :)

I've had other savings accounts in my time that were good, but I've never found one as simple and straightforward and all-round great as ING

I just wish I got commission from them... I've recommended them to about six people who went on to get accounts and be equally as satisfied :D

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

The best interest rate are online savings accounts. The are available from many banks: ING, WaMu, HSBC, etc. I have personal experience with WaMu and HSBC, both are great.

Just read up on the qualifications for each account. With WaMu you have to link the savings account to a checking account, but they have a free checking account. No fees of minimums on either. Whereas HSBC you can just open a savings account by itself to qualify for the ~ 3% interest.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Diana

Almost :P HSBC is 3.05% My wife has this account and we have found it very easy to operate. You can get better rates elsewhere, but this is a pretty good rate and I like the additional security of banking with a large organisation that I know.

Actually HSBC is now advertising 3.50%...... (was 3.05% in May).....

Also check Provident Bank Direct.....

These rates are subject to change weekly and the #1 bank rate this week may not be next week....

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Banks will have deals going on all the time for certain perks.

I would highly reccomend finding a bank that reimburses your ATM fees when you withdraw from a cash machine that is not connected with your bank. I used to have an account with a bank like that and it was super nice as those $2.50 fees do add up (especially when you are on vacation).

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Diana

Actually HSBC is now advertising 3.50%...... (was 3.05% in May).....

Also check Provident Bank Direct.....

These rates are subject to change weekly and the #1 bank rate this week may not be next week....

I stand corrected. :blush: Apologies to Diana. It looks like the HSBC rate is a teaser rate though, just till Aug 15th but still worth taking of advantage of.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.