Nagishkaw

New exhibit features artifacts from Sioux leader's life

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

By LORNA THACKERAY

Of The Gazette Staff

Sitting Bull didn't come to Montana to fight at the Little Bighorn, says his great-grandson, Ernie LaPointe.

The great Sioux spiritual leader and former war hero came to dance.

With others who had rejected treaties that confined them to reservations, the Hunkpapa sun dancer was following an ancient ceremonial journey dictated by the stars and the sacred pipe.

"The ceremonial journey begins when the sun is the spark that reignites the pipe by entering the constellation we know as Cansas Ipusye (Aries) as winter is about to give way to spring, and the ceremonial journey continues to its apex around summer solstice when the sun dancers offer their blood, sweat, tears and pain for the regeneration and the renewal of all life," LaPointe wrote in a statement for a new exhibit on his great-grandfather at Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument.

Between June 4 and 8, 1876, as three columns of the U.S. Army headed toward the Bighorn River to corner the Sioux and force them onto reservations in the Dakotas, Sitting Bull organized a sacred sun dance.

Then in his 40s and past his warrior days, Sitting Bull offered 50 pieces of flesh from each arm before he began the grueling ritual of dance and prayers. On the second day, a vision came. Soldiers were falling into camp, upside down, with no ears, LaPointe said.

"These dead soldiers who are coming are the gifts of God," Sitting Bull told his people. "Kill them, but do not take their guns or horses. Do not touch the spoils. If you set your hearts upon the goods of the white man, it will prove a curse to this nation."

They did not heed his words, LaPointe said.

When six companies of the 7th Cavalry under the command of Lt. Col. George Custer were annihilated at the Little Bighorn on June 25, 1876, victorious Sioux, Cheyenne and Arapaho took horses, guns, scalps, uniforms and anything that could be useful on their nomadic journeys.

Sitting Bull did not fight that day, LaPointe asserts, despite all that has been said since. He took care of the women, children and elders in his camp, which was attacked in the early phase of the battle. After it was over, he prayed for the warriors and soldiers who died there, LaPointe said.

In the battlefield's new exhibit, LaPointe wants people to understand that while Sitting Bull was a man of war in his youth, he was also a spiritual leader and a man of great compassion.

The Sitting Bull family has been working with the National Park Service in creating an exhibit that will be completed by the battle's anniversary in June.

Sharon Small, the Park Service curator at the battlefield museum, said the exhibit has been assembled during the last year virtually from scratch.

"There needed to be balance within the park," she said. "We put it right next to the Custer exhibit."

Many of the major pieces are in place and ready for public viewing. The backdrop is Sitting Bull's pictographic history of war deeds, copied from ledger art that Sitting Bull had drawn while imprisoned at Fort Randall, S.D., in 1882.

La Pointe had seen the originals at the Fort St. Joseph Museum in Niles, Mich., and wanted them duplicated for the battlefield museum in Montana. He suggested that his friend, artist Daryl No Heart, replicate Sitting Bull's originals on a buffalo hide now displayed at Little Bighorn.

"That was a perfect match," curator Small said. "He couldn't have done a better job."

Sitting Bull made the originals for Martha Smith, sister-in-law of the quartermaster at Fort Randall, and the quartermaster's daughter, Alice Quimby. They had befriended the captive medicine man and asked him to make copies of pictographs he had painted for the Indian agent. Before the Quimby family was transferred, Sitting Bull gave them 12 completed pictographs and one that was almost completed.

He drew himself counting coup against an Assiniboine enemy and charging a Crow warrior. In another, he exchanges fire with a Crow and holds his sacred shield. Others depict scenes of combat, usually with Crow enemies.

In the center at the top is Sitting Bull's signature, a buffalo bull.

A life-size print of a photograph of Sitting Bull by famed frontier photographer D. F. Berry stands on one side of the display case, and a Berry photograph of two of his children, Standing Holy and Crow Foot, is on the other side. Standing Holy is LaPointe's grandmother. Berry's business card, signed by Sitting Bull, will also be in the specially made display cases.

Crow Foot, about 17, died with his father on Dec. 15, 1890, when Indian police came to arrest Sitting Bull at his home on the Standing Rock Agency. A wooden hoop, part of a toy belonging to Crow Foot, and an eagle feather, both found in Sitting Bull's cabin, are part of the display. The feather, the hoop and the Berry business card were loaned by LaPointe.

A beaver pelt top hat presented to Sitting Bull in exchange for his autograph in Bismarck during the Dakota Territory capital celebration in September 1883 sits in the middle of the display case. It comes complete with its original hat box from J.G. Volz & Co.

Sitting Bull's armaments are also represented. At the bottom of the case lay a bow and five arrows that Sitting Bull gave to Henry W.B. Mechling, a 7th Cavalry blacksmith from Company H, when the medicine man returned from Canada to surrender at Fort Buford in North Dakota in 1881.

Mechling had been in Custer's column the day of the battle, but when Custer divided his command just before the battle, Company H was assigned to Capt. Frederick Benteen. That order saved Mechling's life. Benteen's forces and those under Maj. Marcus Reno were pinned down on a hill above the Little Bighorn River while Custer and more than 200 men under his immediate command were wiped out.

The Reno-Benteen survivors huddled for two hot June days on the hill, holding off warrior attacks. Mechling was one of several awarded Medals of Honor for bravery in bringing water to the wounded.

His medal and the items Sitting Bull gave him were donated to the battlefield by his daughter, Minnie Grace Mechling, in 1993. The medal is on display in another museum case.

The gun that Sitting Bull surrendered, a Model 1866 .44 caliber Winchester carbine, is in the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. Efforts to borrow the gun were unsuccessful, Small said. But a replica was acquired for the exhibit, and the battlefield's chief historian, John Doerner, is preparing it to look as it would have in Sitting Bull's possession.

Not arrived at the battlefield yet is an 1882 oil portrait by Western artist Henry H. Cross painted from life in 1882. Sitting Bull signed the backside. It's being donated by the James Mangan family of Fairfield, Conn. Mangan plans to bring the painting to Montana in June, Small said.

LaPointe said he hopes to visit the battlefield in May to check on the display.

"I gave them a lot of little things," he said. "I told them it was up to them to put it together."

http://billingsgazette.net/articles/2008/0...sittingbull.txt

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

ownage

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Historically, it is already known that Little Bighorn was caused by chopf#ck Custer's decision to attack the Sioux, Cheyenne, Arapaho. :thumbs:

Edited by CherryXS

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline
Historically, it is already known that Little Bighorn was caused by chopf#ck Custer's decision to attack the Sioux, Cheyenne, Arapaho. :thumbs:

Indeed.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Fascinating news - thank you.

In 1979 I had a contract with the National Museums of Canada to inventory the artifacts at the Saskatchwan Historic Parks in preparation of entering the information into a national artifact database. One of my sites was Wood Mountain, the RCMP post established to keep an eye on Sitting Bull and his band when they fled to Canada after the Battle of Little Big Horn. When Sitting Bull was convinced to return to the US under promises he would be safe, many of his band members refused to accept the American assurances and chose to remain in Wood Mountain. Their descendants are there to this day.

One of the most interesting experiences I had was visiting with the son of the last surviving member of the original band who came north with Sitting Bull. He was in his 90s at the time - as was his wife who was white (the daughter of the 'storekeeper') - and they had just celebrated their 75th anniversary. They lived on the reserve, miles from any road, in a tin covered hut with no electricity and no running water. They still used horses to get around if they had to. He was a remarkable artist painting historic representations from his Sioux heritage. His mother was the last member of the original band who remained north to pass away. His father had joined Louis Riel and was captured, then imprisoned in Winnipeg. When he was released, he walked all the way home but he never recovered from the ordeal and passed away shortly afterwards.

The trigger event for me, though, even after all of these years, was to go to a small hill near Wood Mountain. There was a graveyard on the very top with 4 graves enclosed by a wrought iron fence. Two of the graves were marked by a simple wooden cross and two had buffalo skulls on top. One of these had a hand written sign that read "Mato Luta, warrior of Little Big Horn, died, November 1944". It struck me very strongly that this same man who had fought on horseback with primitive weapons had lived long enough to know about the dropping of the atom bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Talk about culture shock!

I am glad that Sitting Bull is getting this recognition. He was a great leader.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Kathryn41, thank you so much for sharing your story! I found it most intriguing , to say the least.

kodasmall3.jpg

sister mocassin and sister kathyrn..thanks for posting this.....

\sitting bull..crazy horse....are 2 of my heroes

Edited by almaty

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

sb_poster_08_02_07.jpg

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

Timeline

My hero is Chief Big Bear.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline

Gotta love the AIM pic, Bro Dean. :thumbs:

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline

...and of course my other hero is Uncle Fred.

http://fred-dakota.com/

kodasmall3.jpg

...and of course my other hero is Uncle Fred.

http://fred-dakota.com/

lol..he is mine too...

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg