Teacher Mark

U.S. soldier Uses Quran For Target Practice; Military Apologizes

120 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Well... How is this any different then this? http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...38-2862,00.html

I can tell you... one was made out to be an international incident, and one was brushed under the carpet as a "prank"...

What these boys did was unacceptable as well. I think the reason that one was ade to be an international incident is because it was done by an American soldier, supposedly representing our country, in a country it is supposed to be helping. One is not worse than the other, IMO. They both perpetrate violence, hatred and vengeance.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Oh Lawd.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
Many muslims consider the bible a holy book too. Many Arabs are christian. Religion is strange to me. At least when it comes to the whole idea of what is and isn't sacred.

The soldier got what he had coming to him, it should end there.

religion is not strange, some people are...when disrespecting their own book and prophet doesn't satisfy them, they try another one.

i am muslim, my christian friend gave me the bible 2 years ago..i still have it, and i still read it.

http://www.55a.net/firas/english/

12/28/2007 : married

I-130 :

01/20/2008 : I-130 sent

02/20/2008 : NOA1

05/06/2008 : touched

11/08/2008 :approved

I-129f:

02/26/2008 : I-129f sent

03/17/2008 : NOA1

04/02/2008 : touched

04/03/2008 : touched

11/08/2008 : approved

Timeline
Many muslims consider the bible a holy book too. Many Arabs are christian. Religion is strange to me. At least when it comes to the whole idea of what is and isn't sacred.

religion is not strange, some people are...when disrespecting their own book and prophet doesn't satisfy them, they try another one.

i am muslim, my christian friend gave me the bible 2 years ago..i still have it, and i still read it.

and if more people in the world were like you, adam, then there'd be understanding and acceptance rather than the hatred that is out there.

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

and if more people in the world were like you, adam, then there'd be understanding and acceptance rather than the hatred that is out there.

and you too, thank you.

http://www.55a.net/firas/english/

12/28/2007 : married

I-130 :

01/20/2008 : I-130 sent

02/20/2008 : NOA1

05/06/2008 : touched

11/08/2008 :approved

I-129f:

02/26/2008 : I-129f sent

03/17/2008 : NOA1

04/02/2008 : touched

04/03/2008 : touched

11/08/2008 : approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
If someone used the Bible for target practice I would be offended. The Quran may only be a book to some people but for others it is something sacred. It all boils down to respect.

Do you respect that the bible is confiscated in Saudi Arabia, burned when confiscated? Do you respect that it is illegal to posses this "book" in certain Arab countries?

Sounds like some people are saying "Respet my book while I piss all over everything you respect".(Quote)

agreed! :wow:

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
If someone used the Bible for target practice I would be offended. The Quran may only be a book to some people but for others it is something sacred. It all boils down to respect.

Do you respect that the bible is confiscated in Saudi Arabia, burned when confiscated? Do you respect that it is illegal to posses this "book" in certain Arab countries?

Sounds like some people are saying "Respet my book while I piss all over everything you respect".(Quote)

Authoritarian Governments confiscating/burning/banning the Bible is reprehensible

A member of the US armed forces serving in Iraq using the Koran as target practice is reprehensible

Neither incident excuses, justifies or cancels out the other. Why do people always insist on seeing double standards where there aren't any.

Edited by Number 6

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I agree. I don't think "it's just a book get over it" is right. Of course it's offensive to those who practice that religion. Yes, it's a book, but it's God's Holy Word to the Muslims.

Suppose someone burned an American flag....oh wait, people have done that already and the country was in uproar over it. But "it's a flag, get over it" would be heinous to say.

I may not be a Muslim, but that doesn't mean that I should disrespect their holy book.

Men like this soldier are, IMHO, just as bad as Islamic extremists.

yeah, i can see the comparison of him shooting a book to killing people with suicide bombs, rocket attacks, or airplanes into buildings :rolleyes:

as wideawake stated, his career has taken a turn for the worse. he's gonna be the flavor of the month for a long time in his unit - i.e. on the first sergeant's chit detail list.

The mentality of someone who thinks this is acceptable is no different from the mentality of an Islamic extremist who feels the same disrespect towards Christianity. I did NOT say "suicide bomber" I said "extremist." Just like an extremist Christian thinks it's acceptable to punish the abortion doctor. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think of going from shooting the book, which is disrespecting all that it stands for, to shooting the person who believes the words in that book.

And yes, his career has taken a turn for the worse. Perhaps it was poor judgment and he'll pay for it forever. I'm the daughter of a career Air Force man who did 3 tours in Viet Nam. I am somewhat aware of the way the military handles these transgressons, but the basic principles do remain the same in my eyes. Poor judgment, stupidity, Christian fanatacism, I'm better than they are mentality. Whatever it is. It's extremism. And it is the same.

well that in bold is generally what extremists do, ain't it - bomb someone?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Authoritarian Governments confiscating/burning/banning the Bible is reprehensible

A member of the US armed forces serving in Iraq using the Koran as target practice is reprehensible

Neither incident excuses, justifies or cancels out the other. Why do people always insist on seeing double standards where there aren't any.

Thank you, #6.

penguinpasscanada.jpg

Timeline
I agree. I don't think "it's just a book get over it" is right. Of course it's offensive to those who practice that religion. Yes, it's a book, but it's God's Holy Word to the Muslims.

Suppose someone burned an American flag....oh wait, people have done that already and the country was in uproar over it. But "it's a flag, get over it" would be heinous to say.

I may not be a Muslim, but that doesn't mean that I should disrespect their holy book.

yeah, i can see the comparison of him shooting a book to killing people with suicide bombs, rocket attacks, or airplanes into buildings :rolleyes:

as wideawake stated, his career has taken a turn for the worse. he's gonna be the flavor of the month for a long time in his unit - i.e. on the first sergeant's chit detail list.

The mentality of someone who thinks this is acceptable is no different from the mentality of an Islamic extremist who feels the same disrespect towards Christianity. I did NOT say "suicide bomber" I said "extremist." Just like an extremist Christian thinks it's acceptable to punish the abortion doctor. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think of going from shooting the book, which is disrespecting all that it stands for, to shooting the person who believes the words in that book.

And yes, his career has taken a turn for the worse. Perhaps it was poor judgment and he'll pay for it forever. I'm the daughter of a career Air Force man who did 3 tours in Viet Nam. I am somewhat aware of the way the military handles these transgressons, but the basic principles do remain the same in my eyes. Poor judgment, stupidity, Christian fanatacism, I'm better than they are mentality. Whatever it is. It's extremism. And it is the same.

Charles, forgive me for being nerdy here, but I am an English teacher. An "extremist" is one who goes to extremes esp. in political or regligious beliefs, or who conducts himself/herself outside of the moral norm. So yes, it could be someone who is a suicide bomber, or it could be someone who writes expletives and shoots bullets through someone else's Holy Book. Because that person is, in essence, directing his hatred or actions "outside the moral norm" at the group of people who practice that religion.

Not every extremist bombs people. Hatred, violence, and cruelty can happen in many "extremes."

We can go head to head semantically here if you want...But please don't put words in my mouth.

penguinpasscanada.jpg

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Charles, forgive me for being nerdy here, but I am an English teacher. An "extremist" is one who goes to extremes esp. in political or regligious beliefs, or who conducts himself/herself outside of the moral norm. So yes, it could be someone who is a suicide bomber, or it could be someone who writes expletives and shoots bullets through someone else's Holy Book. Because that person is, in essence, directing his hatred or actions "outside the moral norm" at the group of people who practice that religion.

Not every extremist bombs people. Hatred, violence, and cruelty can happen in many "extremes."

We can go head to head semantically here if you want...But please don't put words in my mouth.

No offense, but you misspelled religious.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Not everyone has the same intelligence as you. You may be able to know what it is to mean peace, while others well, don't quite understand what peace is.

You give them 1+1, and they give you 3 instead of 2. Afterall, if everyone was smart there wouldn't be poverty.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Taken from the book, ' How Consolemaster Creates His Own World. ' :)

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg