Teacher Mark

U.S. soldier Uses Quran For Target Practice; Military Apologizes

120 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
You've got to admit that in a country where religion is very influential both culturally and politically that this was a pretty stupid thing to do.

It sure isn't how one would go about wining the hearts and minds. ;)

agreed..and his action doesn't represent other troops.

I'm sure it doesn't. It's important that this is made very clear to the Iraqis and the Middle East.

Absolutely.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I agree. I don't think "it's just a book get over it" is right. Of course it's offensive to those who practice that religion. Yes, it's a book, but it's God's Holy Word to the Muslims.

Suppose someone burned an American flag....oh wait, people have done that already and the country was in uproar over it. But "it's a flag, get over it" would be heinous to say.

I may not be a Muslim, but that doesn't mean that I should disrespect their holy book.

Men like this soldier are, IMHO, just as bad as Islamic extremists.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
I agree. I don't think "it's just a book get over it" is right. Of course it's offensive to those who practice that religion. Yes, it's a book, but it's God's Holy Word to the Muslims.

Suppose someone burned an American flag....oh wait, people have done that already and the country was in uproar over it. But "it's a flag, get over it" would be heinous to say.

I may not be a Muslim, but that doesn't mean that I should disrespect their holy book.

WRONG! He did something incredibly foolish as well as insulting to a large segment of the Earths population. His actions do not warrant comparison to Islamic extremists though.

I guarantee you, as a Veteran, that he is going to pay a heavy price. His military career is over. In the meantime every shi% detail that comes along is going to have his name written all over it.

He never should have been there in the first place.

I'd have to say that the soldier showed poor judgment.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
If someone used the Bible for target practice I would be offended. The Quran may only be a book to some people but for others it is something sacred. It all boils down to respect.

Do you respect that the bible is confiscated in Saudi Arabia, burned when confiscated? Do you respect that it is illegal to posses this "book" in certain Arab countries?

Sounds like some people are saying "Respet my book while I piss all over everything you respect".

I am not religous, but it seems one side is really taking advatage here.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
If someone used the Bible for target practice I would be offended. The Quran may only be a book to some people but for others it is something sacred. It all boils down to respect.

Do you respect that the bible is confiscated in Saudi Arabia, burned when confiscated? Do you respect that it is illegal to posses this "book" in certain Arab countries?

Sounds like some people are saying "Respet my book while I piss all over everything you respect".

I think perhaps the venue has something to do with the reception to a performance.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

that's about it

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think perhaps the venue has something to do with the reception to a performance.

Quite.

It also goes without saying though that you can't exactly disrespect a religious text without insulting in some way all of the followers of that religion.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

IMO confiscating the bible or any other book is unacceptable.

some european contries prevent muslim women to attend school if they wear a hair cover, it is IMO unacceptable too, but that is another story...

now back to topic.

http://www.55a.net/firas/english/

12/28/2007 : married

I-130 :

01/20/2008 : I-130 sent

02/20/2008 : NOA1

05/06/2008 : touched

11/08/2008 :approved

I-129f:

02/26/2008 : I-129f sent

03/17/2008 : NOA1

04/02/2008 : touched

04/03/2008 : touched

11/08/2008 : approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

yeah, i can see the comparison of him shooting a book to killing people with suicide bombs, rocket attacks, or airplanes into buildings :rolleyes:

as wideawake stated, his career has taken a turn for the worse. he's gonna be the flavor of the month for a long time in his unit - i.e. on the first sergeant's chit detail list.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Exhibit A:

35hgxvd.jpg

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

Well... How is this any different then this? http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...38-2862,00.html

I can tell you... one was made out to be an international incident, and one was brushed under the carpet as a "prank"...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

Removing Conditions

03/06/09 - Check cashed

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

yeah, i can see the comparison of him shooting a book to killing people with suicide bombs, rocket attacks, or airplanes into buildings :rolleyes:

as wideawake stated, his career has taken a turn for the worse. he's gonna be the flavor of the month for a long time in his unit - i.e. on the first sergeant's chit detail list.

The mentality of someone who thinks this is acceptable is no different from the mentality of an Islamic extremist who feels the same disrespect towards Christianity. I did NOT say "suicide bomber" I said "extremist." Just like an extremist Christian thinks it's acceptable to punish the abortion doctor. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think of going from shooting the book, which is disrespecting all that it stands for, to shooting the person who believes the words in that book.

And yes, his career has taken a turn for the worse. Perhaps it was poor judgment and he'll pay for it forever. I'm the daughter of a career Air Force man who did 3 tours in Viet Nam. I am somewhat aware of the way the military handles these transgressons, but the basic principles do remain the same in my eyes. Poor judgment, stupidity, Christian fanatacism, I'm better than they are mentality. Whatever it is. It's extremism. And it is the same.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Timeline

Many muslims consider the bible a holy book too. Many Arabs are christian. Religion is strange to me. At least when it comes to the whole idea of what is and isn't sacred.

The soldier got what he had coming to him, it should end there.

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

Removing Conditions

03/06/09 - Check cashed