Chocolot

Being Misunderstood in the USA

39 posts in this topic

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't know what my husband was talking about at first when he said he had to go to the 'tag' office - 'tags' are what we call 'license plates' back home.

That is more of a regional thing to call license plates "tags", not a standard American term. I grew up in the Northeast and never heard of license plates being called tags until I moved to Georgia. I was pretty confused too!!! :)

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Didn't know what my husband was talking about at first when he said he had to go to the 'tag' office - 'tags' are what we call 'license plates' back home.

As well - don't ask where the bathroom is here - people look at you strange; you need to ask for the restroom:-).

Yeah. lol. When I was at the DMV office I tried to register my vehicle. They told me I needed to go to the tag office. I had to ask them what a tag office was. They told me it was in the tax collector's office. I left there going..... :blink:

Apparently down here they call the laundry room the washroom. I got some pretty strange looks, at first, whenever I asked for one at a restaurant. :lol: Probably the same look I give my husband when I ask him where something is and he tells me it's in the washroom. :blink:

Some things are very regional. It's the laundry room down here. :)

In South Carolina, you can shag barefoot on the beach with a beer in one hand and not get arrested.

I was wondering about that too. I've grown up in Texas and always referred to it as the "laundry" or "utility" room. Granted, both of my parents grew up in New York and moved down here after they got married, so maybe some of the terminology I use is from the northern states as well (for instance, I say "sneakers" instead of "tennis shoes").

One of the most popular one's must be don't ask for a " ** "

That might depend where you are and what you're looking for, I suppose... :unsure:

That is more of a regional thing to call license plates "tags", not a standard American term. I grew up in the Northeast and never heard of license plates being called tags until I moved to Georgia. I was pretty confused too!!! :)

Same here. I've always called those "license plates." Maybe I should ask my brother about this, since he lives in Atlanta now. I wonder if he calls them "tags" now or still uses "license plates."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
One of the most popular one's must be don't ask for a " ** "

especially in san fran.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
it took me some time to understand "we drive in a park-way" and we "park in a drive=way"

i've never understood why we have hot water heaters. if the water is hot, why do we need to heat it? :unsure:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

As well - don't ask where the bathroom is here - people look at you strange; you need to ask for the restroom:-).

Yeah. lol. When I was at the DMV office I tried to register my vehicle. They told me I needed to go to the tag office. I had to ask them what a tag office was. They told me it was in the tax collector's office. I left there going..... :blink:

Apparently down here they call the laundry room the washroom. I got some pretty strange looks, at first, whenever I asked for one at a restaurant. :lol: Probably the same look I give my husband when I ask him where something is and he tells me it's in the washroom. :blink:

In South Carolina, you can shag barefoot on the beach with a beer in one hand and not get arrested.

What the heck does that mean? :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

What the heck does that mean? :lol:

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Timeline

I remember this episode in that ice cream shop where my dad insisted he could order his ice cream all on his own. The blue colored ice cream is what he wanted. Two big scoops of it. So here told that 16 year old behind the counter:

I have two big blue balls. :whistle:

ice%20cream%20blue.jpg

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

I know what a digestive is but they are hard to find here, and dont get me start

ed on 'chicken and a biscuit'

World Market is full of digestives :thumbs:

Filed: Other Timeline

in this particular corner of North Carolina, it is rude to say the word "toilet", no idea why, I suppose its considered vulgar. Its called a "commode" if you have to refer to the appliance at all. And the room it is in is called a "bathroom" whether or not there is actually a bath tub in it. Even the public toilets in malls and offices are called "bathroom" by most folks. And yeah, I got more than a few odd looks when I'd ask someone for the washroom when I first got here. I could never figure out why, until we were out house shopping one day and the real estate agent called the laundry room the washroom. :lol:

Whenever I say the word "cupboard" at work, people giggle at me and tell me "that's old fashioned, its called a cabinet!" :wacko:

There's lots more, I just can't think of them all at the mo. I've been here so long now that I've pretty much figured out the local dialect so its not as bad anymore. But a few things come up now and again if we're sitting watching something on BBC, or some Canadian show.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

I remember this episode in that ice cream shop where my dad insisted he could order his ice cream all on his own. The blue colored ice cream is what he wanted. Two big scoops of it. So here told that 16 year old behind the counter:

:lol: I would've loved to have seen the assistant's reaction!

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

:lol:

:lol: I would've loved to have seen the assistant's reaction!

Diaper = nappy

Trunk = boot

Chips = Crisps

Underpants = knickers

My personal favourite is:

One thing that will always bug me when I was driving in the US was when I stopped someone for directions, they said: 'Go down a few blocks until you reach bla bla, a couple of more blocks on your left' and they would use hand signs... Whereas in the UK we would say something like: 'Go straight down, straight over the lights and take your first left'

:lol: why count by how many blocks there are? Is a 'block' like a 'street' or 'road'? Of course I found it when I translated those directions in british :lol:

The ones my husband and I have problems with are the definition of pants (underwear vs trousers). We also argue when I call him a jerk. To me it doesn't mean much, but to him its a big insult. I hate the word toilet. I just think it sounds so rude.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08