panamania79

If someone marries an illegal immigrant

71 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
The best source of info for your friend is www.immigrate2us.net. And Caladan is right...he will have to go back to Guatemala after he goes to his visa interview in Guatemala City. At that point he'll be told if he's elgible for a waiver. The length of the ban depends on the sum total of his time illegally here, but the waiver is meant to be a way for that illegal presence to be forgiven (only because of his marriage to a USC).

Thanks.They're scrambling since that ****head Governor Carcieri signed that bill.Did you see him on Lou Dobbs ?

No, I try to avoid things that raise my blood pressure! ;)

But I did read in Latino Express about all of the businesses patronized by Latinos severely hurting right now!

They raided the Price Rite down the strret from my mother's house and rounded up 300 Central Americans who happened to be illegal.The Staties are patrolling the streets in Providence now,asking for green-cards.

He just cut through Mexico to get here.

:o

Well he did.I'm not defending him or anything but that's how he got here. :unsure:

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
yeah what everyone else said. i do know of some people who did come in legally, but overstayed their tourist visas, got married, and were granted a green card recently. good luck!

It's not me.It's really a friend of mine.

The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
January 12,2011-RFE

Just to piggyback on this topic, what are the cost differences of the legal/illegal-to-legal option of bringing a fiance/spouse to the States...just curious...

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

Timeline
Just to piggyback on this topic, what are the cost differences of the legal/illegal-to-legal option of bringing a fiance/spouse to the States...just curious...

I'm really not sure.I'm just guessing that it would be more money because I've heard the USCIS charges penalties for being here illegally.

January 12,2011-RFE

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well the person I know that married an illegal... I don't remember her ever mentioning she paid above and beyond the usual for the green card. I can't say for sure though. It all seemed to go quite smoothly though! Sounds like its a lot cheaper than bringing them on a K-1/K-3/CR-1! :dead:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Well the person I know that married an illegal... I don't remember her ever mentioning she paid above and beyond the usual for the green card. I can't say for sure though. It all seemed to go quite smoothly though! Sounds like its a lot cheaper than bringing them on a K-1/K-3/CR-1! :dead:

I had just been wonering that for a long time...I agree it would be a bit frustrating to see that people going through this processes legally (while being apart from our SO for extended periods of time) pay the same amount or more than some who began the process as an illegal and simply changed status...wouldn't be much incentive to do it legally, would it?

Dawn

March 2007 - Met online

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

Timeline

I had just been wonering that for a long time...I agree it would be a bit frustrating to see that people going through this processes legally (while being apart from our SO for extended periods of time) pay the same amount or more than some who began the process as an illegal and simply changed status...wouldn't be much incentive to do it legally, would it?

That thought crosses my mind frequently.

January 12,2011-RFE

I keep forgetting to write this, Lani, but

Good Luck on the interview tomorrow!!!! I'll be pulling for you guys!!!

Dawn

March 2007 - Met online

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

You're right. Its a sad fact. I also know someone who came on a tourist visa and got married before it expired (so they weren't here illegally) but they were never separated either! I can't say whether they planned it or not (they claim not) But I believe otherwise... He also got his green card approved with no issues! grrrrrr

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
The best source of info for your friend is www.immigrate2us.net. And Caladan is right...he will have to go back to Guatemala after he goes to his visa interview in Guatemala City. At that point he'll be told if he's elgible for a waiver. The length of the ban depends on the sum total of his time illegally here, but the waiver is meant to be a way for that illegal presence to be forgiven (only because of his marriage to a USC).

Thanks.They're scrambling since that ****head Governor Carcieri signed that bill.Did you see him on Lou Dobbs ?

No, I try to avoid things that raise my blood pressure! ;)

But I did read in Latino Express about all of the businesses patronized by Latinos severely hurting right now!

They raided the Price Rite down the strret from my mother's house and rounded up 300 Central Americans who happened to be illegal.The Staties are patrolling the streets in Providence now,asking for green-cards.

He just cut through Mexico to get here.

:o

Well he did.I'm not defending him or anything but that's how he got here. :unsure:

Which Price Rite? The one in Olneyville?

And the staties? Talk about racial profiling. Where are they doing this exactly? Carcieri can go bleep himself.

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

There's no penalty, unless you count having to file the I-130 a penalty. Personally, it doesn't really bother me that much if someone's gone out of status or adjusted from another type of visa. The process is beyond stupid without insisting that someone who is already here, who entered legally, and who actually knows their intended pretty well needs to spend a year+ for a five minute visa interview.

EWIs have to leave and file a waiver. That's as it should be.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Maybe I missed it but has he been identified as illegal? In other words, is he known officially, via arrests, or any other means to be in this country illegally, and documented as such?

If not, then it would be best for him to leave, go home the way he came, and have her marry him there in Cental America........Of course they'd have to do a K3, but there's no easy way out of this. The alternatives are risky.........

miss_me_yet.jpg

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
Maybe I missed it but has he been identified as illegal? In other words, is he known officially, via arrests, or any other means to be in this country illegally, and documented as such?

If not, then it would be best for him to leave, go home the way he came, and have her marry him there in Cental America........Of course they'd have to do a K3, but there's no easy way out of this. The alternatives are risky.........

sounds like a plan ... go home and do it right :yes:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Going home and saying that he never entered the US is the fastest way to a lifetime ban with no possibility to file a waiver. "doing it right" would be fessing up and being honest about his illegal entry and subsequent illegal presence.

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website