panamania79

If someone marries an illegal immigrant

71 posts in this topic

Going home and saying that he never entered the US is the fastest way to a lifetime ban with no possibility to file a waiver. "doing it right" would be fessing up and being honest about his illegal entry and subsequent illegal presence.

Yeah, if he says he never entered the U.S., aside from them having a hard time explaining how they met and how they have a legitimate relationship or how they lived together or whatever, means more severe consequences. Doing it right in his case is going to be mean a waiver. Less risky than pretending he doesn't need one. (And actually legal, to boot!)

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I work with a woman who married an illegal immigrant about 12 years ago. He is now a U.S. citizen. She told me they had problems at the interview for his GC. She was pregnant with their first child and the IO asked her how much her husband paid her to marry him.

Another woman I work with married an illegal immigrant about 7 years ago and says that her husband CANNOT become an LPR, so he is still illegal. Both of these guys came to the U.S. from Mexico (illegally). However, in the second case the guy was deported twice.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

I think (and can't be arsed to look it up) that EWIing more than once (or after a deportation) incurs a lifetime, unwaiverable ban.

AOS

-

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
I think (and can't be arsed to look it up) that EWIing more than once (or after a deportation) incurs a lifetime, unwaiverable ban.

Yes, ma'am! Two or more EWIs means a lifetime ban.

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline

Yes, ma'am! Two or more EWIs means a lifetime ban.

What's an EWI ? :unsure:

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

"entered without inspection" or "snuck across the border"

AOS

-

Timeline

Speaking of EWI and visas, I read on another forum about one woman's husband's visa interview....of course, it was clear that he'd entered illegally and when asked how he entered, he replied "running." Apparently even the consular agent got a chuckle out of that one!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
Speaking of EWI and visas, I read on another forum about one woman's husband's visa interview....of course, it was clear that he'd entered illegally and when asked how he entered, he replied "running." Apparently even the consular agent got a chuckle out of that one!

:wow: that's surprising because they can be so #######.They're really bad in the Providence field office.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Timeline

:wow: that's surprising because they can be so #######.They're really bad in the Providence field office.

Didn't know that...luckily we got the green card without an interview, but will most likely have to visit the field office once we go for the ten year GC.

Okay, that's awesome.

AOS

-

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Going home and saying that he never entered the US is the fastest way to a lifetime ban with no possibility to file a waiver.

How so? If he was never arrested or come in contact with immigration authorities, they

would have no idea that he was ever in the US - illegally or otherwise. Of course, he'd

have to be smart about it -- if he gets married in the US and then claims he has never

been here, well...

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline
Yeah, if he says he never entered the U.S., aside from them having a hard time explaining how they met and how they have a legitimate relationship or how they lived together or whatever, means more severe consequences. Doing it right in his case is going to be mean a waiver. Less risky than pretending he doesn't need one. (And actually legal, to boot!)

Well, yes, he would have to tell them they met abroad, and do the fiance thing. Might be worth it

if waivers are hard to secure in his country of origin.

Edited by mawilson
biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Well, yes, he would have to tell them they met abroad, and do the fiance thing. Might be worth it

Eh. Aside from the whole muckety muck about the TOS and advocating lying to DOS, there's the question of documentation and the chance of the story falling apart during the interview.

AOS

-

Timeline

Eh. Aside from the whole muckety muck about the TOS and advocating lying to DOS, there's the question of documentation and the chance of the story falling apart during the interview.

Yes - if he's an idiot, I don't recommend it.

Going home and saying that he never entered the US is the fastest way to a lifetime ban with no possibility to file a waiver. "doing it right" would be fessing up and being honest about his illegal entry and subsequent illegal presence.

Perhaps but in the current climate, they're in for a very hard time. It's not like he overstayed. He entered illegally with the intent to immigrate.

I'm just speculating here, and of course have no way of knowing, but I say that he no doubt uses false identities, perhaps false SSN's to gain employment, all of which he's going to have to "fess up" about to USCIS, and some of which is criminal, and again in the current climate, I think that the act of submitting the petition will prompt the USCIS to notify the INS.......If they contact him, they will no doubt want to know "who" he is, and how he came to live here for so long.....

I'll bet that this isn't a simple case that's just a matter of somebody that's illegally immigrated but there's possibly some criminal behavior in addition; forgery, identity theft, and possibly more.

In "fessing" up he's liable to find himself in more hot water than he ever contemplated, and if he's deported he'll get that lifetime ban to boot!

Like I said, perhaps it's best for him to go home and then they can "work" the details to bring him here legally.........

Edited by kaydee457
miss_me_yet.jpg