panamania79

If someone marries an illegal immigrant

71 posts in this topic

I entered the US on 19th November 2005 on the VWP. When i arrived at first, my intention was not get married, but as some people have done, i did marry a US citizen in January 2006. We then filed the I-130 form within my 90 days. Shame to say but the marriage was a farse for several reasons so i left on 23rd March 2006, well past my 90 days. ( Not to sure how many days i was there lol ) So when i came home i formally withdrew the petition in writing. Im hoping with this mistake and mishap wont affect for when i file the K1 ( properly done this time ) at the end of this month. I have been told different stories from numerous lawyers that everything will be ok or not. Did i do something illegal or not is the question?

beach_1_001.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

To be honest, my first thought too was "Go back home, pretend you were never in the US, have the gf visit him in his homecountry a couple times and file for K-1"...that would be at least halfway the "right way"...

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

To be honest, my first thought too was "Go back home, pretend you were never in the US, have the gf visit him in his homecountry a couple times and file for K-1"...that would be at least halfway the "right way"...

In everyday circumstances it would have been lol. I am now divorced from her, just so you dont think im still married to her lol.

beach_1_001.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

In everyday circumstances it would have been lol. I am now divorced from her, just so you dont think im still married to her lol.

Actually, my reply was for the OPs initial question....

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Actually, my reply was for the OPs initial question....

No problem.

beach_1_001.jpg

Filed: Timeline
I entered the US on 19th November 2005 on the VWP. When i arrived at first, my intention was not get married, but as some people have done, i did marry a US citizen in January 2006. We then filed the I-130 form within my 90 days. Shame to say but the marriage was a farse for several reasons so i left on 23rd March 2006, well past my 90 days. ( Not to sure how many days i was there lol ) So when i came home i formally withdrew the petition in writing. Im hoping with this mistake and mishap wont affect for when i file the K1 ( properly done this time ) at the end of this month. I have been told different stories from numerous lawyers that everything will be ok or not. Did i do something illegal or not is the question?

Well as the non-USC you cannot withdraw the petition since you're actually not the petitioner.

Well as the non-USC you cannot withdraw the petition since you're actually not the petitioner.

Well as the non- USC i did withdraw my petition. I got confirmation in writing from the NVC that the case has been withdrawn.

beach_1_001.jpg

If you married while in the USA after entering on VWP wouldn't you and your former US citizen spouse have filed the I-130 and an I-485 to adjust status?

He could withdraw his I-485, indicating no further interest in adjusting status. A beneficiary can also apprise the Service that he or she is no longer interested in pursuing the visa as a result of a petition for an Alien Relative made by a USC. I think we're arguing semantics, here :whistle:

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

If you married while in the USA after entering on VWP wouldn't you and your former US citizen spouse have filed the I-130 and an I-485 to adjust status?

He could withdraw his I-485, indicating no further interest in adjusting status. A beneficiary can also apprise the Service that he or she is no longer interested in pursuing the visa as a result of a petition for an Alien Relative made by a USC. I think we're arguing semantics, here :whistle:

We did file the I-130 but not the 1-485. I left the USA approx 7 weeks after it was filed, came home and wrote a letter to the USCIS.

beach_1_001.jpg

We did file the I-130 but not the 1-485. I left the USA approx 7 weeks after it was filed, came home and wrote a letter to the USCIS.

There you go, then. You indicated no further interest in pursuing immigrant benefits and residing in the USA. I think you have it covered.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.