Teacher Mark

Vista Sucks!

45 posts in this topic

I've only messed around on Windows Visat once or twice. The system seems quit simple and easy to navigate. However, nothing about it moved me to switch to Vista. Unlike the vast difference/experience between Windows 2000 and Window XP. Microsoft may loose many "lifetime" users to Linux and/or Mac. Hell, I'm considering jumping ship... I first started out on Macs. Time will tell!

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

p.s. - I actually liked Windows ME... :devil: Seriously!

Edited by Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

I finally retired my old Dell Inspiron 4000 I bought back in 2000. It had Windows Me on it and I never upgraded it. I kept it alive for 8 years, but finally got tired of the limitations of an 8 year old laptop and bought a Dell XPS M1530 in January. Unfortunately I could only get it with Vista. My only beef with getting a new operating system is that many of the old peripherals I have that I use with other computers will not work with Vista. Many manufacturers have no incentive to develope drivers for discontinued peripherals in their line.

The bottom line...I see nothing so wonderful about Vista to justify it. I sincerely wish my new computer had Windows XP on it instead of Vista. It would have made buying my new laptop a much better experience.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I've used vista on and off since it's earlier releases where leaked online right through a few beta versions and into the final release. I've been using it on and off inside a VM with SP1 for the past while and I actually haven't had any dramatic problems apart from the fact it's a complete system hog. I got my wife a laptop last year which came with vista "basic" installed which had to be removed right away and replaced with XP. Laptops and vista = :( users.. unless lots of cash is forked out on big processors and really good integrated graphics. Let not forget that minimum of 1GB just to get up and running and 2GB just to be comfortable.

Overall I'd say it's just another Microsoft OS, it's doing the same stuff XP did, 2000 did, ME tried to do lol.. and even 98 and 95 did as well.. They changed things around, some more than others. Increased the specs to run the system, it's full of bugs and other bits that will annoy us all.. like driver support!!.. but in a few years (if Windows 7 don't kill it?) it'll be as standard as XP is now.. maybe?

My advice is if you have vista toss it and get XP if your a windows fan.. if your open to change and don't need directX (like I do) too much then toss it all together and get Linux! I wouldn't buy apple if you paid me..

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i went back to XP again! :D

(CHECK MY PROFILE INFORMATION FOR COMPLETE SIGNATURE)

August 19, 2006 VISA ON HAND!!!

September 5, 2006- POE @ SFO

September 8, 2006- Applied for SSN

SSN arrived more than a month after.. GRRR!!

November 8, 2006- MARRIED @ San Francisco City Hall

November 21, 2006- Received official marriage certificate

Dec. 19, 2006- sent out AOS

Jan. 3, 2007- Cashed cheques for AOS and EAD

March 15, 2007- AOS interview; APPROVED!!

March 23, 2007- Welcome letter/notice received from mail

March 27, 2007- GREENCARD

Sept 5, 2007 - my first anniversary in the U.S

Jan 30, 2009 - Mailed I-751 removal of conditional residence status

Feb 2, 2009 - Package mailed 10:22 AM at Laguna Niguel, CA (CSC)

Feb 5, 2009 - Check cashed

Feb 26, 2009 Biometrics

The Newlyweds: DJ and PRINCESS

watch clearer version[/color]

mylove.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Vista is a cool operating system, but, costs too much. It's a toll on hardware because it requires more resources to give you that user-friendly interface and stability. Despite security holes in XP that allows intrusion, Windows have been successfull in patching; eventhough there are countless patches.

I saw a video of the Head of Kernal Development@Microsoft talking about the previous Windows OS. He's a Unix junky prior to his work with Windows. He worked on the Windows 98, NT, and ME kernal. He said that each version of Windows builds upon the previous one. In other words, with ME, it was a release of the NT kernal that hasn't been finished. Afterwards, they released XP 2 years later with the finished kernal. Hmm....sorry, I'm a tech junky. I smoke electromagnetic radiation through my eye sockets daily. If you don't understand, you don't have too.

BTW. Bill Gates went to testify in front of Congress to issue more VISAs to foreign nationals to work in the US as Engineers. Congress complied by issuing additional H1-B visas, approximately 80,000 more. This is because US school system doesn't produce enough scientist and engineers. Every kid is more " sports, arts " type of student. They are scared away by their role models that math is evil.

Edited by consolemaster

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I saw a video of the Head of Kernal Development@Microsoft talking about the previous Windows OS. He's a Unix junky prior to his work with Windows. He worked on the Windows 98, NT, and ME kernal. He said that each version of Windows builds upon the previous one. In other words, with ME, it was a release of the NT kernal that hasn't been finished. Afterwards, they released XP 2 years later with the finished kernal. Hmm....sorry, I'm a tech junky. I smoke electromagnetic radiation through my eye sockets daily. If you don't understand, you don't have too.

And there is the problem. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Every system we buy has XP Pro for our clients. Our proprietary software runs Ok on Vista after being tweeked but our third party PCMCIA interface card and drivers between the I/O and the vista windows program is still not supported. At least not that we have found anyway.

On a side note, I use Autocad R14 on one computer that works perfectly on '95. I didnt want to upgrade it because I would have had to buy another hidollar verson from Autodesk. It works great as it is as it is just a tool. But I had a hell of a time finding a printer for this system. lols

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Seriously, Microsoft have done alot of innovations. The problems that comes up during software design to provide a very useable operating system is significant. You have no idea. Linux and Unix are primarily specilized OS with mainstream adoption at a very low rate due to the technical difficulty with modifying the kernal to work with every single hardware.

Implementing a system that adapts to all hardware is a difficult design process. It requires very intimate hardware knowledge of all sorts of scenerios. With Linux, it is efficient in terms of resources. But, it's not efficient in productivity. There's all sorts of trade-offs with Linux and Windows. I don't favor one or the other. I think of them as a tool for me when solve analytic design problems in my work.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

I'm currently trying out Ubuntu (oo-boon-too) linux and so far I like it, I found a walk-through to run World of Warcraft, it has Firefox as it's default browser, while it will take a little getting use to (I have set up a dual boot Ubuntu/XP professional RU) I might just stick with Ubuntu if I can keep up with it.

They seem to have a very concise instruction page for anything I would want to do with my computer...and it's free...also regular upgrade (6 months) and an update manager that keeps your system up to date!

Best of all...it is FREE!

take that M$

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Filed: Timeline

I use MEPIS Linux. It's a cool distro. You can also run it from disk, so I have it installed on my flash drive to boot up any computer and have my own stuff on there.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I finally retired my old Dell Inspiron 4000 I bought back in 2000. It had Windows Me on it and I never upgraded it. I kept it alive for 8 years, but finally got tired of the limitations of an 8 year old laptop and bought a Dell XPS M1530 in January. Unfortunately I could only get it with Vista. My only beef with getting a new operating system is that many of the old peripherals I have that I use with other computers will not work with Vista. Many manufacturers have no incentive to develope drivers for discontinued peripherals in their line.

The bottom line...I see nothing so wonderful about Vista to justify it. I sincerely wish my new computer had Windows XP on it instead of Vista. It would have made buying my new laptop a much better experience.

What you need to do is get a OME or OEM (whatever it is called) :lol: of windows XP Pro. you need to buy a hardware with it so get the cheapest. like a keyboard or something cheap. and reformat you computer and install the XP on it. or you could just install it and have a dual boot system.

I am going to build up a new system.. i will have Vista on it but I will have XP and some sort of linux. I have really never try linux so I dont know which one is good. someone on VJ has Slickware or slackware, and that looks good.. may try that.

That is my opinion

you are by no means stuck with Vista

Yogi

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
He worked on the Windows 98, NT, and ME kernal. He said that each version of Windows builds upon the previous one. In other words, with ME, it was a release of the NT kernal that hasn't been finished. Afterwards, they released XP 2 years later with the finished kernal. Hmm....sorry, I'm a tech junky. I smoke electromagnetic radiation through my eye sockets daily. If you don't understand, you don't have too.

I think that might be back to front?... Me was based on 9x not NT. ME was made to appear like a "home" version of 2000 but was still 9x underneath. Although they did want it to be the "next" NT back then it never did happen. If I remember correctly XP (the first home/consumer version of NT) was pushed out about a year later after which ME bit the dust (thank god). XP basically took the better features of the 9x and NT systems and finally stuck them together (after quite a few bugs). Vista is a different beast but still as you said built on what has come (or been stolen) before!

I'm personally thinking Vista could either be the next ME or the next XP, I'm leaning towards ME at the minute as Windows 7 is already making headlines... but who knows?

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

What you need to do is get a OME or OEM (whatever it is called) :lol: of windows XP Pro. you need to buy a hardware with it so get the cheapest. like a keyboard or something cheap. and reformat you computer and install the XP on it. or you could just install it and have a dual boot system.

I am going to build up a new system.. i will have Vista on it but I will have XP and some sort of linux. I have really never try linux so I dont know which one is good. someone on VJ has Slickware or slackware, and that looks good.. may try that.

That is my opinion

you are by no means stuck with Vista

Yogi

Yogi, Slackware is not for a n00b. I recommend trying either Ubuntu or Mepis first.

BTW, I am the Slacker...........