Vista Sucks!

45 posts in this topic

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
lol............a love-hate relationship.............sounds like a borderline program...vista...needs therapy

I will book a appointment for you bro. Dean, How about thursday at 3pm. One sick OS.

He'll have to come to San Antonio then. I'll be here until about midnight, then it's off to Austin.

I'm thinking about pulling an Ozzy and going to the Alamo to relieve myself:

While on tour in Texas in 1982, drunk already at 11am, he urinated on a portion of the Alamo, while there for a photo shoot. A police officer arrested him, and Osbourne was subsequently banned from the town for a decade

Two things may be wrong with this wiki entry 1.) I had heard he was wearing a dress because Sharon had taken all of clothes in a misguided attempt to reign him in! and 2.) I doubt he was "drunk already at 11am. It probably should have read "Still drunk at 11 am".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozzy

....... i like vista :blush:

never have had a problem with it.

You shoudln't have posted that!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Wasn't it like this with every new operating system from Microsoft that came out?

yup... i hated XP when I first got it...

Mine works fine - had a couple crashes, but the system always recovers.

Mine was working fine until I posted how much I liked it on this flippin' site. I'm not really having any major problems, but after I read some of the posts I started thinking about the computer's performance. Keep in mind that I was using a Dell Inspiron before I got this Acer. The Inspiron worked fine, even though it was very old! Then I dropped it. It worked for a week then the screen went out, so I bought this. Now that I've been reeducated by the last post I've started to notice some kinks. I think I need to upgrade to 2 gigs of RAM though and clean my C drive. It's just bogging down every once in a while, so it may not actually be Vista, but if it's taking up alot a space it actually would be part of the problem.

could be that you just need to clean out your computer some, like you said... do you ever use the disk clean-up function or do you ever defrag your computer??

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

There are two things you need if you run Vista.

1) Make sure to have at least 2GB of memory. Preferably 3-4GB

2) Make sure to be on SP1

Going to Vista is something I had to do because of testing, experience, and just getting used to it. There was no real advantage and I also hate it, but sooner or later XP will not be supported and people will be forced to move sooner or later.

XP and all MS OS's were the same. SP1 made it semi livable, but it took SP2 before it was solid and stable. At least now MS sends down regular patches.

Users fight to save Windows XP

By JESSICA MINTZ, AP Technology Writer

Mon Apr 14, 7:49 AM ET

SEATTLE - Microsoft Corp.'s operating systems run most personal computers around the globe and are a cash cow for the world's largest software maker. But you'd never confuse a Windows user with the passionate fans of Mac OS X or even the free Linux operating system. Unless it's someone running Windows XP, a version Microsoft wants to retire.

Fans of the six-year-old operating system set to be pulled off store shelves in June have papered the Internet with blog posts, cartoons and petitions recently. They trumpet its superiority to Windows Vista, Microsoft's latest PC operating system, whose consumer launch last January was greeted with lukewarm reviews.

No matter how hard Microsoft works to persuade people to embrace Vista, some just can't be wowed. They complain about Vista's hefty hardware requirements, its less-than-peppy performance, occasional incompatibility with other programs and devices and frequent, irritating security pop-up windows.

For them, the impending disappearance of XP computers from retailers, and the phased withdrawal of technical support in coming years, is causing a minor panic.

Take, for instance, Galen Gruman. A longtime technology journalist, Gruman is more accustomed to writing about trends than starting them.

But after talking to Windows users for months, he realized his distaste for Vista and strong attachment to XP were widespread.

"It sort of hit us that, wait a minute, XP will be gone as of June 30. What are we going to do?" he said. "If no one does something, it's going to be gone."

So Gruman started a Save XP Web petition, gathering since January more than 100,000 signatures and thousands of comments, mostly from die-hard XP users who want Microsoft to keep selling it until the next version of Windows is released, currently targeted for 2010.

On the petition site's comments section, some users proclaimed they will downgrade from Vista to XP — an option available in the past to businesses, but now open for the first time to consumers who buy Vista Ultimate or Business editions — if they need to buy a new computer after XP goes off the market.

Others used the comments section to rail against the very idea that Microsoft has the power to enforce the phase-out from a stable, decent product to one that many consider worse, while profiting from the move. Many threatened to leave Windows for Apple or Linux machines.

Microsoft already extended the XP deadline once, but it shows no signs it will do so again. The company has declined to meet with Gruman to consider the petition. Microsoft is aware of the petition, it said in a statement to The Associated Press, and "will continue to be guided by feedback we hear from partners and customers about what makes sense based on their needs."

Gruman said he'd keep pressing for a meeting.

"They really believe if they just close their eyes, people will have no choice," he said.

In fact, most people who get a new computer will end up with Vista. In 2008, 94 percent of new Windows machines for consumers worldwide will run Vista, forecasts industry research group IDC. For businesses, about 75 percent of new PCs will have Vista. (That figure takes into account companies that choose to downgrade to XP.)

Although Microsoft may not budge on selling new copies of XP, it may have to extend support for it.

Al Gillen, an IDC analyst, estimated that at the end of 2008 nearly 60 percent of consumer PCs and almost 70 percent of business PCs worldwide will still run XP. Microsoft plans to end full support — including warranty claims and free help with problems — in April 2009. The company will continue providing a more limited level of service until April 2014.

Gillen said efforts like Gruman's grass-roots petition may not influence the software maker, but business customers' demands should carry more clout.

"You really can't make 69 percent of your installed base unhappy with you," he said.

Some companies — such as Wells Manufacturing Co. in Woodstock, Ill. — are crossing their fingers that he's right. The company, which melts scrap steel and casts iron bars, has 200 PCs that run Windows 2000 or XP. (Windows 2000 is no longer sold on PCs. Mainstream support has ended, but limited support is available through the middle of 2010.)

Wells usually replaces 50 of its PCs every 18 months. In the most recent round of purchases, Chief Information Officer Lou Peterhans said, the company stuck with XP because several of its applications don't run well on Vista.

"There is no strong reason to go to Vista, other than eventually losing support for XP," he said. Peterhans added that the company isn't planning to bring in Vista computers for 18 months to two years. If Microsoft keeps to its current timetable, its next operating system, code-named Windows 7, will be on the market by then.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080414/ap_on_...crosoft_save_xp

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
There are two things you need if you run Vista.

1) Make sure to have at least 2GB of memory. Preferably 3-4GB

2) Make sure to be on SP1

Going to Vista is something I had to do because of testing, experience, and just getting used to it. There was no real advantage and I also hate it, but sooner or later XP will not be supported and people will be forced to move sooner or later.

XP and all MS OS's were the same. SP1 made it semi livable, but it took SP2 before it was solid and stable. At least now MS sends down regular patches.

4GB of RAM is a waste on Vista or XP unless they are 64-bit. 32-bit can only read and really use up to 3.5GB of RAM.

.......................... :thumbs:

switch to linux, run windows programs using wine. done.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The maximum amount of memory that can be supported on Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 is also 4 GB. However, Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition supports 32 GB of physical RAM and Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition supports 64 GB of physical RAM using the PAE feature.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platf...PAE/PAEmem.mspx

I've heard XP only goes to 3GB as well and it is pointless to go past 3GB on most 32bit systems.

But back on topic - I have used Vista for about 5 months and SP1 Vista for 2 months. I'm used to it and overall it runs fine, except for opening My Computer on systems connected to a domain - can take like 2+ minutes to refresh.

Filed: Timeline

I didn't hate 95 when I was using Windows 3.11 for Workgroups. I didn't hate 98 when I was using 95. I didn't hate 2000 when I was using 98. I DID hate Windows ME. It was the worst bastardization of an OS EVER. I didn't hate XP when I was using 2000. I DO hate Vista with a passion. From a Geek perspective, they've made it even "dumber" and much more difficult to find anything or do anything. (ie: They've made it more idiot-proof by making the major changes, adjustments, etc more difficult to do. In other words, the stuff that *I* need to be able to do quickly and easily to get it fixed and move on to the next user.)

I like Gimp, but I NEED Photoshop. I can use text editors or whatever, but I LOVE HomeSite+ for HTML, PHP, and CSS. So, I could use Linux, but I'd need to have a dual boot or Wine so I could still work efficiently. Maybe I'll install a hack of OS X on here instead. lol

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I've read that photoshop actually runs faster on wine than on windows.

windows vista=mac os x-ization of windows.

I didn't hate 95 when I was using Windows 3.11 for Workgroups. I didn't hate 98 when I was using 95. I didn't hate 2000 when I was using 98. I DID hate Windows ME. It was the worst bastardization of an OS EVER. I didn't hate XP when I was using 2000. I DO hate Vista with a passion. From a Geek perspective, they've made it even "dumber" and much more difficult to find anything or do anything. (ie: They've made it more idiot-proof by making the major changes, adjustments, etc more difficult to do. In other words, the stuff that *I* need to be able to do quickly and easily to get it fixed and move on to the next user.)

I like Gimp, but I NEED Photoshop. I can use text editors or whatever, but I LOVE HomeSite+ for HTML, PHP, and CSS. So, I could use Linux, but I'd need to have a dual boot or Wine so I could still work efficiently. Maybe I'll install a hack of OS X on here instead. lol

Первый блин комом.

I admit, I was "afraid" to try the new Windows OSs when they came out (95,98,2000,XP) but Vista...I was excited to try, couldn't wait!

My old computer died so we bought a new one for me and salvaged what we could from my old one for Olga's computer.

New computer had Vista installed (WOOHOO!) and I upgraded the RAM to 2GB, should have kept my old video card though this one is newer and slightly better (but draws from system resources)...

Get it home setup (and upgraded RAM) install the wireless network card, connect to the internet, and begin installing World of Warcraft - Disk 1 and I wait...

and I wait...

and I wait...

2 hours later "please insert Disk 2" and I wait some more!

I tried several different options (including moving install files to the Hard drive and EVEN that doesn't work...

Several tries and 2 days later I give up on Windows Vista and reinstall XP (Russian Version), ONLY after I find the driver for the sound card which I was told wasn't supported by the company in XP (ironically or coincidentally) the maker of the sound card DOES support this particular sound card in XP :dance:

now almost 5 months of worry free surfing and playing WoW...5 months of NO (null, zero, NOT A ONE) problem and still 255GB free hard drive space...I'm mostly happy but I often wonder if my computer is actually utilizing it full potential (dual core) in a standard WinXP Professional SP2...

either way, I'm one unhappy Vista User for 2 days and extremely happy XP user....and I believe it was Vista SP1 btw.

-Marc

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!