Y's_habibitk

want kids?

Do you have/want any children?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have kids now?

• ya
    • nope
    • maybe
  2. 2. are you planning on having kids/more once your SO gets to the US?

• I dunno
    • ya
    • nope
  3. 3. How many do you want?

• I dunno
    • 2-3
    • We'll start our own soccer team if we can
    • whatever

102 posts in this topic

We currently have no children, but would like at least two. Have to wait for a few years, though - we're both young and don't earn very much. Of course I'd have one tomorrow if I could but have to be practical about these kind of things :P

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
We have one(he's new! hehe)...waited about 2 1/2 years after Sujeet moved here/got married before we started trying.

I always said I wanted 2. At the moment, I am scared about recovering from another c-section and my labor was so long that I'd be afraid to try it that way again. It's too fresh in my mind. I am hoping "time heals all wounds" and I will be up for going through it again in a couple years. If not, there is always adoption but it's not an easy thing to go through either.

I had a short but dreadful labor followed by weeks of infections. It has almost been two years in a couple of weeks and I think the worst is over. I remember it was bad, but the images are no longer so sharp. You won't forget, but you will more than likely get over it and move on. There are many reasons it would not be a good idea for me to have more children, but it is only a short time in my life and life of my child, labor and post-partum. It is not a particularly deciding factor for me. Beyond that, there are no guarantees that next time would be as bad as the last. Many people with bad birth experiences go on to have better ones. If it should ever happen that I fall pregnant again, there will definitely be some changes in how I want my labor and post-partum care managed. Probably the same is true for you.

I am sorry your experience wasn't as good as could be hoped. Eventually though, it will get better. Still too early to think about the next child anyway, just enjoy the cute little guy you have right now. :)

Sorry I forgot to come back and read this thread so I just saw this. Thanks for the perspective!

Well, I have never given birth, but my mother had a terrible labor with my brother (firstborn) and the world's easiest labor with me (second) - only one contraction and 5 minutes and I made my appearance in this world.

btw Stina - you look great in that photo with your son, motherhood suits you!

Thank you. :)

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Both of us want to start family when the time is right but not sure if i am able to have kids bcz of Polycystic ovaries and a blood disorder.... if not, then when the time is right then we will adopt... :yes:
10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Timeline

Open question to anyone who wants to answer:

Let's say my wife and I decided that 2-3 years from now would be the right time to have a child.

What homework, etc. do I need to do between now and then to prep for it?

How much money will I need for the first few years (daycare, for example)? Assume daycare once the child is 6 months.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Open question to anyone who wants to answer:

Let's say my wife and I decided that 2-3 years from now would be the right time to have a child.

What homework, etc. do I need to do between now and then to prep for it?

How much money will I need for the first few years (daycare, for example)? Assume daycare once the child is 6 months.

Homework? Read: "What to expect when your expecting" and "what to expect the first year" I was seriously addicted to these books.. They are wonderful!

Daycare:

Figure at least 400/month (if youre lucky) for daycare for five years. Thats for one child.. Im not sure what kind of buy one get one half off sales you can get at daycares LOL

Formula is expensive also, if your wife cant or doesnt want to breastfeed.

I had to get special preemie formula, which was 14/can.. one can every 4-5 days if I remember right :)

We're almost out of the woods for daycare costs.. one more year to go!

Good luck to all who are planning, and bless all the little ones we already have. Oh, ya.. and may all who dont want kids.. stay child free! :D

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Figure at least 400/month (if youre lucky) for daycare for five years. Thats for one child.. Im not sure what kind of buy one get one half off sales you can get at daycares LOL

That's not too bad. My parking permit costs more than that.

What about other things?

(Not that we're going to have kids, just curious.)

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

not just no but hell no. We do not want kids. I had to choose the 'Whatever' option.

We wouldn't want to have to fight over the xbox :P

Seriously though, I've been trying to get my tubes tied for quite some time. In the US, Planned Parenthood told me that the insurance I had covered the procedure, the doctor, the anesthesia etc... but not the facility. #######?!? They were not amused when I said the doctor could come around to my house and do it :D

Now that I'm here in the UK I have been given every freaking excuse available. I'm too young (I'm 31) I haven't had any children yet (well duh! That's what I'm trying to avoid!) You've only just got married! (why is that their business?) as well as 'Oh we just don't do that sort of thing in this country!' :angry: I'm just going to keep pushing for it until someone finally caves in and does it. I made this decision long before I met my husband and I'm very glad that he is just as adamant about it as I am. They suggested an IUD so I went in to get the Mirena placed and the doctor couldn't do it. My uterus was too small (the damn IUD itself is the size of a quarter!) so he put me on the last thing I wanted, the pill. I have had 3 weeks of increasing PMS and we are both miserable. The pounds are piling back on after I went through so much to lose them in the first place! The doctor recommended I go to the local GUM clinic and ask about getting the Implanon implant. He said it's not a very nice place because you sit around for a long time in a room full of people with STD's (lol planned parenthood?) maybe I just won't sit in their chairs :P

Reading up on GUM clinics, I may be able to convince them to let me choose to have them tie my tubes. I hope so. I talked with a nurse practitioner before the IUD incident and she said my husband and I may have to go through months of counciling before they will even decide to do the operation. :angry: I don't care anymore, anything, we will sit and talk with them as long as in the end we get it done. FFS! What a damn hassle!

Life long Texan, living in Hull, UK. How did this happen?

11 January - We met online and became friends

4 February - Became a couple

17 March - I went to Hull to meet the guy

20 March - First "I love you"

25 March - I go home :(

16 November - He comes to visit me in Texas

25 November - he leaves back home :(

14 December - ENGAGED! <3

1 March- I fly off to see my babe in Hull

4 April - I go home :(

9 October - He comes back to Texas!!!!

13 October - WEDDING!!!

22 October - He goes back to England and I continue to wait for my settlement visa.

13 December 2007 - Move to England

Now the wait begins, I will become a citizen then we will DFC back to the US.

the-british-are-comming-small.jpg965-smaller.jpg

Our slide show .......... Our page on TheKnot.com

.png

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
They suggested an IUD so I went in to get the Mirena placed and the doctor couldn't do it. My uterus was too small (the damn IUD itself is the size of a quarter!)

In the US they won't insert an IUD unless you've had kids. Reason? Your uterus is smaller when you've not had them and insertion is difficult to achieve.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
They suggested an IUD so I went in to get the Mirena placed and the doctor couldn't do it. My uterus was too small (the damn IUD itself is the size of a quarter!)

In the US they won't insert an IUD unless you've had kids. Reason? Your uterus is smaller when you've not had them and insertion is difficult to achieve.

that may have been what happened then when I went to the doctor here. He had the measuring stick in there after having a time getting it past the cervix and he said it wasn't in far enough and didn't want to force it any more. I was pretty disappointed, I guess we all thought the Mirena would be small enough. I thought it was cos I'm 5'2"

oh well.

Life long Texan, living in Hull, UK. How did this happen?

11 January - We met online and became friends

4 February - Became a couple

17 March - I went to Hull to meet the guy

20 March - First "I love you"

25 March - I go home :(

16 November - He comes to visit me in Texas

25 November - he leaves back home :(

14 December - ENGAGED! <3

1 March- I fly off to see my babe in Hull

4 April - I go home :(

9 October - He comes back to Texas!!!!

13 October - WEDDING!!!

22 October - He goes back to England and I continue to wait for my settlement visa.

13 December 2007 - Move to England

Now the wait begins, I will become a citizen then we will DFC back to the US.

the-british-are-comming-small.jpg965-smaller.jpg

Our slide show .......... Our page on TheKnot.com

.png

Definitely not planning to have our own (we both have stuff happening that we don't want to risk passing on) and leaning towards "no" but considering adopting sometime in the not-immediate future.

BTW my best friend is Muslim and I know she and her husband are thinking of adopting (they have a couple kids of their own already), but my impression is that the child is considered part of your family *if* certain other conditions are met. (I think one condition is that the child has to have absolutely no living relatives, but don't quote me, because I might be misunderstanding.)

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Timeline

That's not too bad. My parking permit costs more than that.

A good friend of mine is paying $1500 a month for infant daycare. The costs go down as the child gets older, I am told. So figure $36k for the first two years.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i guess eric does have a potential job then in that market :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!