Y's_habibitk

want kids?

Do you have/want any children?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have kids now?

• ya
    • nope
    • maybe
  2. 2. are you planning on having kids/more once your SO gets to the US?

• I dunno
    • ya
    • nope
  3. 3. How many do you want?

• I dunno
    • 2-3
    • We'll start our own soccer team if we can
    • whatever

102 posts in this topic

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

i have 2 kids now, 19 and 20!

We can't have any kids together coz i had a hysterectomy a few months ago, had endometriosis and a few lumps were found. :(

I guess we'll just have to settle for a new kitten for my 16 month old cat. :luv:

Separated!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Figure at least 400/month (if youre lucky) for daycare for five years. Thats for one child.. Im not sure what kind of buy one get one half off sales you can get at daycares LOL

That's not too bad. My parking permit costs more than that.

A good friend of mine is paying $1500 a month for infant daycare. The costs go down as the child gets older, I am told. So figure $36k for the first two years.

$1500 a month? Yikes, that would cut into my drinking allowance. :P

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
Figure at least 400/month (if youre lucky) for daycare for five years. Thats for one child.. Im not sure what kind of buy one get one half off sales you can get at daycares LOL

A good friend of mine is paying $1500 a month for infant daycare. The costs go down as the child gets older, I am told. So figure $36k for the first two years.

That's insane. Is this a northeast thing, or a fancy daycare?? You also need to discuss with your wife if she wants to stay home with the kids or not, and whether or not it's possible financially.

I don't think you need to do too much homework besides financial homework before trying for a baby, until you get closer to it since you are saying 2-3 years. In one or two years, you can start learning more info about a baby...unless you already want to learn about it. When you feel like it's time you will naturally be more interested in reading about baby things.

One more cost is diapers, and wipes. :P We got a lot at our shower so I don't have a figure yet for how much it costs per month. We have only bought like 3 packs of diapers ourselves so far, they were $5 something each for newborn size in Target's brand(which worked fine).

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
not just no but hell no. We do not want kids. I had to choose the 'Whatever' option.

We wouldn't want to have to fight over the xbox :P

Seriously though, I've been trying to get my tubes tied for quite some time. In the US, Planned Parenthood told me that the insurance I had covered the procedure, the doctor, the anesthesia etc... but not the facility. #######?!? They were not amused when I said the doctor could come around to my house and do it :D

Now that I'm here in the UK I have been given every freaking excuse available. I'm too young (I'm 31) I haven't had any children yet (well duh! That's what I'm trying to avoid!) You've only just got married! (why is that their business?) as well as 'Oh we just don't do that sort of thing in this country!' :angry: I'm just going to keep pushing for it until someone finally caves in and does it. I made this decision long before I met my husband and I'm very glad that he is just as adamant about it as I am. They suggested an IUD so I went in to get the Mirena placed and the doctor couldn't do it. My uterus was too small (the damn IUD itself is the size of a quarter!) so he put me on the last thing I wanted, the pill. I have had 3 weeks of increasing PMS and we are both miserable. The pounds are piling back on after I went through so much to lose them in the first place! The doctor recommended I go to the local GUM clinic and ask about getting the Implanon implant. He said it's not a very nice place because you sit around for a long time in a room full of people with STD's (lol planned parenthood?) maybe I just won't sit in their chairs :P

Reading up on GUM clinics, I may be able to convince them to let me choose to have them tie my tubes. I hope so. I talked with a nurse practitioner before the IUD incident and she said my husband and I may have to go through months of counciling before they will even decide to do the operation. :angry: I don't care anymore, anything, we will sit and talk with them as long as in the end we get it done. FFS! What a damn hassle!

Can your husband get a vasectomy or is he too young by UK standards? I know my brother-in-law, WHO HAS TWO children and was slightly under 35 was denied the procedure. That is just CRAZY in my opinion. Wacky UK!

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline
That's insane. Is this a northeast thing, or a fancy daycare?? You also need to discuss with your wife if she wants to stay home with the kids or not, and whether or not it's possible financially.

I don't know. My cousin in Raleigh is paying $1100/month. These are both nice daycares, people I and him work with have their kids there. So what this means to me is I need an additional 35k (on top of regular savings) saved up before we can seriously consider this. During the first two years I'll need to use the 35k while I continue to save for years 3 and 4. I don't know if I can do that.

My wife staying home isn't an option.

Edited by VJ Troll

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I don't know. My cousin in Raleigh is paying $1100/month. These are both nice daycares, people I and him work with have their kids there. So what this means to me is I need an additional 35k (on top of regular savings) saved up before we can seriously consider this. During the first two years I'll need to use the 35k while I continue to save for years 3 and 4. I don't know if I can do that.

My wife staying home isn't an option.

Yikes...35K. Maybe you should investigate more daycares and other options(relatives possible?). Or move! What about options like, part time work, then baby one or two days a week with a relative(if it's even possible), and that would decrease the amount of time needed at a daycare. Just ideas. But I guess if you realllllly want a baby in the future, you'll have to make something work.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Food for thought. Thanks.

Outsource it to India?

I hear you can even outsource pregnancies - there are poor Indian women who

rent out their wombs to foreigners.

I think it's pretty cool - why should your woman get fat when someone else can

do the work for less than $10,000?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Food for thought. Thanks.

Outsource it to India?

I hear you can even outsource pregnancies - there are poor Indian women who

rent out their wombs to foreigners.

I think it's pretty cool - why should your woman get fat when someone else can

do the work for less than $10,000?

:rolleyes:

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
Can your husband get a vasectomy or is he too young by UK standards? I know my brother-in-law, WHO HAS TWO children and was slightly under 35 was denied the procedure. That is just CRAZY in my opinion. Wacky UK!

Take a vacation to Germany. They do not cover vasectomies under their public insurance, but it only cost my husband 300 euros. He was 26, one kid, zero questions asked.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Take a vacation to Germany. They do not cover vasectomies under their public insurance, but it only cost my husband 300 euros. He was 26, one kid, zero questions asked.

Thanks, I'll tell bro-in-law...who knows, he may just wait till he's over 35.

As for hubster, it wasn't a problem either. Early thirties, no kids, no questions. Here though, not UK.

Edited by Sister Fracas

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

$1500 a month? Yikes, that would cut into my drinking allowance. :P

oh man, I was just thinking the same :blush: . I guess I'll pass on having kids. Unless I quit working, we'd save money like that. But then I'd be one of those frustrated housewives that hate their lives.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline