hearsay

BABIES

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Just wanted to get some advice about children. I would imagine quite a few couples on this site have had this experience, so just wanted som advice, wisdom, or just general story telling. My wife and I are going to have a baby this summer. What is it like having an interracial baby? Is it complicated to teach the baby two languages? Is it okay to speak to the baby in two different languages, and frequently changing from English to Spanish. Example: Say the baby can't sleep one night. I get up to comfort the baby, I will be speaking english, such as "whats the matter" "Are you hungry" blah blah, (not sure if this is what I will say) :P However, when my wife gets up she will be speaking in spanish. As the baby grows, will she be able to decifer between the two. Or will she be saying sentences like. "Yo quiero play outside" lol. Okay, writing, this I am pretty much answering my own questions. But your real life experiences is what I am looking to hear about.

Note: Moderator I imagine you will move this post, I simply posted in this forum because it is where I spend most of my time.

5.26.23: Wedding

6.24.23: I-130

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The baby will learn both english and spanish with ease. The most imporant thing to remember is to speak in one language at a time. What i mean is, dont speak spang-lish. When you begin speaking in englsih finsih your thought in english. When you speak spanish, finish your thought in spanish. There are many books you can pick up on the topic that can help you along. Good luck.

09/20/05 I-129F Sent to VSC

09/23/05 NOA1 email

09/29/05 NOA1 "snail mail"

10/04/05 NOA2 email

10/11/05 NOA2 snail mail

11/03/05 Not sure when, but it arrived at Juarez

12/19/06 Packet 3 arrives at US address

2/23/06 Interview @ Juarez

2/23/06 Receive Visa

2/25/06 Arrive in USA - temp EAD issued at JFK

3/17/06 Received Social Security Card

3/18/06 Married

3/31/06 AOS packet sent to Chicago

4/6/06 AOS packet received @ Chicago

4/10/06 NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP received

4/19/06 Biometrics

6/16 EAD approved via email

6/20/06 AP Document received

6/24/06 EAD card received

6/27/06 Appointment letter for AOS interview

8/23/06 AOS interview - approved pending FBI name check

8/30/06 AOS approved - via email

9/7/06 GREEN CARD arrives

Kids are capable of learning languages much better than the adults. I'm from Israel, there's lots of immigrants and there's many biracial babies. They grow up normal knowing few languages, sometimes they get confused a little bit before they start going to kindergarden/school, but afterwards they learn even quicker to communicate and can distinguish between the languages. There's all kinds of games you can play with the kids to help them learn, for example saying a word in one language and the kid should say it in the other. It's a fun experience and can teach you spanish in your case, if you don't know it already, and also I'm sure your kids will appreciate it that you gave them the chance to know more than just english once they grow up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The rate at which children learn languages is tremendous, it really is. They pick them up almost effortlessly compared to their parents! :) Biracial children are getting to be very common too; though I'm not quite one myself (Canadian and British doesn't count, really!), many of my friends are/were. They all were more or less exposed to both cultures very early on, and those who were bi/tri/quasi-lingual picked it up like that. ;)

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Very good question and I enjoyed reading the reply. Congratulations on the coming birth of your child.

Doreen :D

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SupportingMoroccanLove/

6/14/03 Met Online

9/30/2003 He was denied a Tourist Visa

1/7/2004 Sent 1-129F-tried to prove hardship; many reasons

8/8/2004 Petition denied

After 214 Days of waiting

10/11/2004 Returned from Morocco even more in love.

11/15/2004 Mailed I-129F off to Nebraska

2/11/05 APPROVAL

2/14/05 EMAIL, OUR PETITION HAS BEEN APPROVED

86 Days what an awesome feeling

2/25/05 Email received from nvc, given case number

3/21/05 Email from consulate

b]INTERVIEW DATE 5/10/05[/b]

3/31/05 Fiance finally receives his packet from the consulate

4/12/05 He had medical exam

5/10/05 INTERVIEW WAS A SUCCESS

5/18/05 VISA IN HAND

Took 214 Days for a denial, but IN 205 days He will be HOME

6/10/05 Abdou arrives in America, what a happy day!

6/13/05 Applied for SSN

6/23/05 6 p.m. We were MARRIED; honeymoon in Gatlinburg

8/13/05 AOS and EAD paperwork mailed

8/25/05 NOAs in the mail!!! Yea!

11/25/05 - BIOMETRIC DATE

01/26/06 - AOS SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW AND HE GETS HIS FIRST JOB AT FIRST JOB INTERVIEW

02/13/06 - GREEN CARD ARRIVED

4/22/06 - Driver's License!!

11/05/2007 Filed to Lift conditions[/color]

11/07/07 - NOA1 received

12/21/07 - Biometrics completed

04/08/08 - 10 YEAR CARD APPROVED

04/14/08 - CARD IN HAND !!!!!

11/3/08 - Filed for Citizenship

11/29/08 - Biometric Appointment

02/03/09 - Citizenship Interview, HE PASSED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Kids learn these things really quickly. From the research that I've made, the child will normally take a little bit longer to start talking, but once he/she does, he/she will be able to speak both languages. Babies minds are little sponges that will accept almost anything you give them. I wish my parents spoke to me with two languages when I was little.

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My nephews all speak, French, English and Italian. Their mother is an interpreter and speaks 8 languages, fluently. My brother has learned to speak French and Italian with relative ease.

The one thing they did (with all three boys) was to teach them French first, then English, followed later by Italian. I think there is something about teaching a latin-based language first, which makes the whole process easier.

Their youngest, who is now two, doesn't speak any English yet. Everyone speaks to him in French, but they will start introducing English very soon.

I am sure your child will do well, whatever method you choose.

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: Timeline

We're looking to raise our children tri-lingual (neither Nani nor myself are native English speakers).

The way I understand it, it is best to give the child someone and/or something specific to associate with each language as it grows up. The plan is for me me to speak German with the child at home, for Nani to speak Amharic with the child at home and both of us to speak English to the child when we're outside of the home. That way, the child can associate each language with either a person or a locale. That should enable the child to keep things apart when the time comes.

There will be a period of mumble jumble from all I've seen so far where the child will use vocabulary from both (or all) languages indiscriminately. It'll be by the time the child is 4-5 years old that the understanding of the separation of the different languages kicks in. At that point, the child will be able to speak all acquired languages and know when to use which. In my example: German with me, Amharic with Nani and English outside of the home.

Hope it works that way... :unsure:

Edited by ET-US2004

ET - Ive known couples who did EXACTLY that - one because the mother, who was a Polish speaker had little English, but her husband spoke both languages fluently. Their kids all spoke Polish to their mother (and also grandmother) and learned English from their dad.

Don't know WHICH language they spoke first tho.

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
The baby will learn both english and spanish with ease. The most imporant thing to remember is to speak in one language at a time. What i mean is, dont speak spang-lish. When you begin speaking in englsih finsih your thought in english. When you speak spanish, finish your thought in spanish. There are many books you can pick up on the topic that can help you along. Good luck.

i agree

09-14-2010 Boston's biggest ceremony of naturalization, I'm a citizen now! :)

1.png

i agree about speaking one language at a time....sofyan has a cousin who is 4....she speaks half english half arabic sentences, and i belive will have alot of trouble in school....although with time...the child shuold catch on fast

Filed DCF in Jordan from 7-05 to 3-06, Approved for I-R1.

Immigration Free until 2008.

Two Hearts, Two Different Places, Sharing One Dream

We were strangers~ Starting out on a journey~Never dreaming What we'd have to go through ~Now here we are ~ And I'm suddenly standing ~ At the beginning with you ~ No one told me I was going to find you ~ Unexpected ~ What you did to my heart ~ When I lost hope You were there to remind me ~ This is the start ~ Life is a road And I want to keep going ~ Love is a river I wanna keep flowing ~ Life is a road Now and forever ~ Wonderful journey ~ I'll be there When the world stops turning~ I'll be there When the storm is through ~ In the end I wanna be standing At the beginning with you~

.png

Filed: Timeline
i agree about speaking one language at a time....sofyan has a cousin who is 4....she speaks half english half arabic sentences, and i belive will have alot of trouble in school....although with time...the child shuold catch on fast

No worries. I've met so many (particularly) Ethiopian childen in the US that speak this (fairly cute) mumble jumble Amharinglish when they're 2, 3 and maybe even 4 - this varies from child to child. But by the time they turn 5, they have it all down, speak either language with ease and without accent and know exactly which is which.

I remember that I read somewhere that by the time the language separation takes place in the child's brain (which doesn't happen until around age 5), the biggest opportunity to acquire a language is about to pass. While children maintain a fairly strong ability to learn additional languages throughout childhood, it does get more difficult from that point on.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
We're looking to raise our children tri-lingual (neither Nani nor myself are native English speakers).

The way I understand it, it is best to give the child someone and/or something specific to associate with each language as it grows up. The plan is for me me to speak German with the child at home, for Nani to speak Amharic with the child at home and both of us to speak English to the child when we're outside of the home. That way, the child can associate each language with either a person or a locale. That should enable the child to keep things apart when the time comes.

There will be a period of mumble jumble from all I've seen so far where the child will use vocabulary from both (or all) languages indiscriminately. It'll be by the time the child is 4-5 years old that the understanding of the separation of the different languages kicks in. At that point, the child will be able to speak all acquired languages and know when to use which. In my example: German with me, Amharic with Nani and English outside of the home.

Hope it works that way... :unsure:

That's exactly how Dave and I are gonna do! I'll speak portuguese to our kids (and so will my family) and Dave will speak English to them. I'm aware that they'll speak English more often once they go to school but it's okay.... I'll have the whole time before that to make it up for it.

And for all I've read, you're right..... they'll only start understanding the separation of the languages when they're about 4-5 years old! :yes:

Good luck to us!! :thumbs:

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i figure nessa will teach our kids portuguese, the schools will teach them english, and i'll teach them texas talk :innocent:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!