NonyGuy

getting a divorce MID-Adjustment of Status

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline
My fiance and I will marry soon, however things are getting slightly "rocky." I dont want to get into it.

One question, if we get married, submit the paperwork for AOS, then we decide its not going to work....can she just go back to her country and I call to cancel the AOS with Immigration?

If she does this, she's obviously not allowed back in the USA, so what would the courts say when I filed for divorce??

THANKS EVERYONE!

You cant do anything with the petition...it is her petition.

Ah, but he can! Successful AOS depends on a viable and sustaining marriage. If the USC spouse informs the USCIS that the marriage is terminating, the AOS will be denied, or at the very least she will be called for an interview...which she can either attend alone, and be denied, or fail to attend and be denied. Additionally, a USC sponsor can withdraw an I-864 if the application to which it is attached has not yet been decided. Therefore, he could withdraw his Affidavit.

true true true...all those things wilo happen, but he cannot withdraw the petition...it is her petition...he hasw no standing. He cannot cancel the AOS, but he can withdraw the I-864.

*Technically* it is her application...BUT...it rests upon a sustaining marriage to a US citizen, and if the USC were to inform USCIS and the local office that the marriage is terminating BEFORE the application is adjudicated, at the very least the Service will call the applicant and her spouse for an interiew, and if he "no shows" the Service cannot approve the case.

the problem is some get approved without interview...then what?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
My fiance and I will marry soon, however things are getting slightly "rocky." I dont want to get into it.

One question, if we get married, submit the paperwork for AOS, then we decide its not going to work....can she just go back to her country and I call to cancel the AOS with Immigration?

If she does this, she's obviously not allowed back in the USA, so what would the courts say when I filed for divorce??

THANKS EVERYONE!

Ah, but he can! Successful AOS depends on a viable and sustaining marriage. If the USC spouse informs the USCIS that the marriage is terminating, the AOS will be denied, or at the very least she will be called for an interview...which she can either attend alone, and be denied, or fail to attend and be denied. Additionally, a USC sponsor can withdraw an I-864 if the application to which it is attached has not yet been decided. Therefore, he could withdraw his Affidavit.

true true true...all those things wilo happen, but he cannot withdraw the petition...it is her petition...he hasw no standing. He cannot cancel the AOS, but he can withdraw the I-864.

*Technically* it is her application...BUT...it rests upon a sustaining marriage to a US citizen, and if the USC were to inform USCIS and the local office that the marriage is terminating BEFORE the application is adjudicated, at the very least the Service will call the applicant and her spouse for an interiew, and if he "no shows" the Service cannot approve the case.

Diaddie just said that if the spouse advises USCIS that the marriage is terminating, USCIS will not approve without an interview. And then if the USC doesn't show up the interview, there is an obvious denial.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Timeline

THANKS EVERYONE!

If either of you simply fails to attend the AOS interview, no status adjustment will occur. She is free to leave the USA at will.

Not wishing to appear pedantic, but technnically, if either of them fails to attend an AOS interview, status adjustment will occur. From "in" to "out". But I get what you are "laying down".... :)

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

THANKS EVERYONE!

The statues prevail and the statutes state that in order for an alien to adjust status by way of a marriage to a USC, that marriage must be viable and sustaining. If a submission has been made to USCIS and the USC wishes to make certain that the case will not be adjudicated without an interview, in cases like this where the marriage is unravelling, if he or she does not wish to take the chance that a piece of correspondence alerting the Service to the terminal state of the marriage not get placed in the A-file and be acted upon post haste, then his or her best shot would be to request to withdraw the I-864. No AOS submission can be adjudicated without an I-864 from the petitioner.

All communications with USCIS of this sort, that are time-sensitive, should be forwarded to both the Service Centre that has jurisdiction over the alien's case and the local district office, and by return receipt.

"diaddie mermaid"

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

THANKS EVERYONE!

The statues prevail and the statutes state that in order for an alien to adjust status by way of a marriage to a USC, that marriage must be viable and sustaining. If a submission has been made to USCIS and the USC wishes to make certain that the case will not be adjudicated without an interview, in cases like this where the marriage is unravelling, if he or she does not wish to take the chance that a piece of correspondence alerting the Service to the terminal state of the marriage not get placed in the A-file and be acted upon post haste, then his or her best shot would be to request to withdraw the I-864. No AOS submission can be adjudicated without an I-864 from the petitioner.

All communications with USCIS of this sort, that are time-sensitive, should be forwarded to both the Service Centre that has jurisdiction over the alien's case and the local district office, and by return receipt.

You can also assure the case isn't transferred and approved without interview by leaving out the I-693a. They'll either schedule an interview or send an RFE for it. Regardless, if you become certain your relationship is over before AOS is complete, withdraw the I-864.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Being married is hard work. This does not mean it is not worth it or rewarding, you just should be sure before you do it, because life will bring lots of unsure situations your way and you will have to deal with them, ready or not.

I wish you all the best in however you decide to proceed.

As with anything, sure there are ways out of it. But you will save yourself a great deal of heartaches and headaches by making sure your initial decision is the right one for BOTH of you.

Best wishes,

Kathleen

WEDDING DAY 05-07-05

RECVD CARD IN MAIL 09-17-05

GAVIN STARTS WORKING 09-19-05

RECVD AOS INTERVIEW LETTER 10-28-05

INTERVIEW IN BOSTON 12-12-05

INTERVIEW SUCCESS & STAMP IN PASSPORT 12-12-05

GREEN CARD RECVD IN MAIL 12-19-05

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS I-751 11-05-07

CHECK CASHED 11-13-07

NOA1 for I-751 11-15-07

APPROVAL FOR I-751 10-06-08

(FOR ANY ADDL INFO SEE MY TIMELINE)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

so does does anyone have any idea about what a court would say if I applied for teh divorce, but my ex was already out of the country and unable to return?

how can I divorce her if she lives in another country and is not allowed to return here?

and thanks to EVERYONE for your replies thus far:) you're awesome!

21 JUL 07 : K1 package mailed to Nebraska Service Center

24 JUL 07 : K1 arrived in Lincoln, NE

24 JUL 07 : USPS status of package: DELIVERED:)

02 AUG 07 : NOA1 from CSC

03 DEC 07: NOA2

12 DEC 07: NVC Receives

14 DEC 07: NVC sends to Bangkok

17 DEC 07: Consulate receives

08 JAN 08: Packet 3 sent

08 JAN 08: Given date of interview

11 JAN 08: Interview...approved already before getting to the window!...NO questions asked

25 JAN 08: My lady arrives in IAD-Washington DC:)

19 APR 08: Married in Alexandria, VA (5 days before Visa expires)

20 JUN 08: Mailing in AOS packet

18 DEC 09: GREEN CARD RECEIVED:)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

THANKS EVERYONE!

It's not a petition, it's an application. (Sorry, this was bugging me.) When my husband and I applied for AOS with the I130 since he was already here, the petition was mine (at least my name was on it) and I could have withdrawn it. Same as an I-129F can be withdrawn.

AOS is the immigrant's application, though.

so does does anyone have any idea about what a court would say if I applied for teh divorce, but my ex was already out of the country and unable to return?

how can I divorce her if she lives in another country and is not allowed to return here?

I'm not sure, but I remember reading that unilateral divorces are valid as long as the other party is notified - would this apply in the US? I'm sure someone will know...

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Timeline

Check with your State but I believe most States allow "service by publication" for such circumstance. The only issue is notifying her that you are petitioning the court to terminate your marriage. Unless you want some of her money in any settlement agreement, the marriage can be terminated without her input. No court is going to give you any of her money anyway with such a short marriage.

As has been said earlier. If you intend to divorce, it's better to serve her the divorce papers before she leaves but it is not required.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

You can still mail her something correct, preferably something with a return receipt, or some sort of delivery confirmation, no? That's all that is needed here to demonstrate that the respondent is aware of the suit.

"diaddie mermaid"

Why would your fiancee (or ex-wife) not be allowed to return to the US? As long as she does not incur an overstay of more than 6 months, then she can still apply for other types of visas (including K1).

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Why would your fiancee (or ex-wife) not be allowed to return to the US? As long as she does not incur an overstay of more than 6 months, then she can still apply for other types of visas (including K1).

I'm saying if we divorce BEFORE the AOS is completed and she returns to her country. She won't be allowed to return to America just so she can go to court for a divorce.

21 JUL 07 : K1 package mailed to Nebraska Service Center

24 JUL 07 : K1 arrived in Lincoln, NE

24 JUL 07 : USPS status of package: DELIVERED:)

02 AUG 07 : NOA1 from CSC

03 DEC 07: NOA2

12 DEC 07: NVC Receives

14 DEC 07: NVC sends to Bangkok

17 DEC 07: Consulate receives

08 JAN 08: Packet 3 sent

08 JAN 08: Given date of interview

11 JAN 08: Interview...approved already before getting to the window!...NO questions asked

25 JAN 08: My lady arrives in IAD-Washington DC:)

19 APR 08: Married in Alexandria, VA (5 days before Visa expires)

20 JUN 08: Mailing in AOS packet

18 DEC 09: GREEN CARD RECEIVED:)

I'm saying if we divorce BEFORE the AOS is completed and she returns to her country. She won't be allowed to return to America just so she can go to court for a divorce.

Why would she need to physically be here for a divorce to be declared final...can't a divorce be made final in absentia (of one party or another)? It may involve a longer wait period, but I've not heard that it can't be done. I think as long as she signs the divorce papers, she does not need to be physically present to go to court for the divorce to be finalized.

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

One thing here not mentioned earlier is that if you apply for AOS and divorce, then you are still liable to support her as per your affidavit of support. If you have misgivings now, before the marriage, don't do it. Just wait and talk it out.

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Timeline
One thing here not mentioned earlier is that if you apply for AOS and divorce, then you are still liable to support her as per your affidavit of support. If you have misgivings now, before the marriage, don't do it. Just wait and talk it out.

That's true if the AOS is complete but the I-864 can be withdrawn at will up until the permanent resident status is granted.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.