truffles

Employers dont seem to be quick off the mark....

23 posts in this topic

I have in my possession a EAD card and have been honing and toning my resume ....and sending it out here there and everywhere!

However .....it seems that companies here dont seem to be too urgent when filling positions?

I am wondering if there is certain amount of days beyond closing date for applications one can presume the application was unsucessful?....I appreciate - even in these days of electronic mail companies do not bother with a " thank you but no thank you".....anyone got any experiences?

My husband advises me i am too impatient ...and that dependant on the nature of the business, there can be a bit of a time to process the applications.....I am just soooooooo ready to work!

I can tell you from my experience that some companies will reply immediately after the closing date for applications if they want to interview you, while others have different set of rules and for them it takes longer to fill the position. I was called for an interview a day after I applied.

I did receive a no-thank you reply from a company and I was greatly surprised that they took time to send even a generic response.

Just hang in there and keep applying for all the positions that match your skills set. I found CareerBuilder better than Monster for some reason.

Best,

Mel

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It's true - some companies call the next day (some even set up an interview at that moment), while others take their sweet time. I suggest applying everywhere you can - something is bound to come up that way.

My husband also received a no-thank you call and a "post card". I figured by the no response that he didn't have the job anyway.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I never got a post card or letter thanking me for submitting my resume. Soooo, I don't wait around anymore. When I was looking for work I would go to Monster, Careerbuilder, hotjobs and Dice every day. I would submit my resume to every possible position I thouht I'd qualify for and out of 20 or so a day I would get a 1 to 2 calls a week. That's it.

You gotta keep on in until they bite.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I never got a post card or letter thanking me for submitting my resume. Soooo, I don't wait around anymore. When I was looking for work I would go to Monster, Careerbuilder, hotjobs and Dice every day. I would submit my resume to every possible position I thouht I'd qualify for and out of 20 or so a day I would get a 1 to 2 calls a week. That's it.

Diana

I did the same thing. I couldn't believe that I was actually applying for up to 20 jobs a day. Eventually it pays off.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Diana

I did the same thing. I couldn't believe that I was actually applying for up to 20 jobs a day. Eventually it pays off.

I hear ya. Looking for work is actually a full time job. When I was laid off from one of my previous jobs I sat at my computer for over 6 hours a day looking at every web site I could think of. You're exhausted at the end of the day but it does pay off to be persistent.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Appreciate all your replies....am plugging away LOL....managed to get interview yesterday and to be honest even that felt like progress!!!

Thanks one and all :D

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Just co-signing on everything.....

I came here in april of last year and since then I've sent of oh well maybe 200 or more applications. Some I received an automatic response from, some a personal response, some called a few days later. But the majority I never heard anything from.

It wasn't until jan I was actually offered 2 jobs just days apart. One of them was offered to me by a friend of my husbands (which was also the one I decided to take). They were both below my qualifications and pays next to nothing but it's a job and I'm thankful.

Like most of you I've used careerbuilder.com and local newspapers. Monster.com isn't worth much in this area. You might want to try picking up applications directly from companies. You can also try staffing agencies like Kelly Services, Manpower and Express Personel. The website I found most helpful was actually craigslist.org.

I wish you all the best and good luck!!

Dec 19, 2006 - Married at the city hall in Denmark

Jan 05, 2007 - Filed I-130 at the US embassy in Copenhagen (Approved)

Jan 30, 2007 - Received e-mail from embassy, I-130 has to be re-approved in London, we both need to file G-325A

Jan 31, 2007 - G-325A sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 15, 2007 - OP-169, DS 230 I & II, I-864 sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 27, 2007 - US embassy Copenhagen, I-130 re-approved and back

Mar 03, 2007 - Receive packet 4 - interview date April 12th

Mar 06, 2007 - Call from embassy - interview date is now on March 8th

Mar 08, 2007 - Interview at embassy - Visa approved IF medical report is all clear

Mar 14, 2007 - Medical exam

Apr 07, 2007 - Visa packet received

Apr 17, 2007 - POE Newark Intl. Airport

Apr 23, 2007 - USCIS refuse to change my mailing address

May 07, 2007 - Re-file for SSN

May 10, 2007 - USCIS receive visa packet from Newark

May 11, 2007 - Gets SSN

May 19, 2007 - Receive SS card

Jul 10, 2007 - Receive letter from TSC: greencard returned by post office - will re-send (duh!!!)

Sep 17, 2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

Feb 01, 2008 - Gets NC License - DMV will only issues it until Apr 17 08 (expiration date on entry visa in passport) since greencard not in hand

Mar 06, 2008 - After 10 months and some change GC FINALLY in hand!!

Apr 17 - Present: USCIS has managed to switch my case # with some else, send my greencard to the wrong address and had to make 3 - yes 3 - service requests on sending out my card

Filed: Timeline
. You might want to try picking up applications directly from companies. You can also try staffing agencies like Kelly Services, Manpower and Express Personel. The website I found most helpful was actually craigslist.org.

I wish you all the best and good luck!!

Wise words, I personally think this is the best way - specially if you are already experienced in your area. Employment agencies, unless they specialize in what you do are not my number 1 choice.

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It doesn't hurt to call the company and say that you are following up on your resume/application submitted on xxx. This shows the company that you are interested and uts your name in their head as well as putting a voice to a name (your voice should always be polite and professional of course and you should show interest by stating a fact about why you want to work for the company).

I was fortunate in that I applied for 1 job and got it, of which its the same job that I am in right now but in a higher position. At my work which is a veterinary hospital, candidates who call and enquire about their resume shows initiative and we love that. This gives those candidates an edge towards getting the position.

Good luck in your job hunt ;)

I-130 for both parents

March 28th 2013 - Priority date/ NOA 1
November 14th 2013 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

January 7th 2014 - Case changed online to approved for both

January 8th 2014 - case changed to shipped to NVC

January 9th 2014 - case changed to NOA 2 mailed

January 10th 2014 - Received the hardcopy of the NOA 2 stating that NVC would issue a case number in 30 days approx.

January 21st 2014 - Case Received at NVC

February 26th 2014 - Case numbers and IIN number received - Wrong embassy code assigned...now waiting for new case numbers.

March 3rd 2014 - Filled in DS-261 for both parents

March 5th 2014- AOS available, paid and submitted AOS packet.

March 6th 2014 - USPS shows packet was delivered at NVC

March 10th 2014 - AOS shows as paid in the CEAC portal/AOS logged into system as being received by NVC.

March 11th 2014 - New case number assigned for my Dad.

March 20th 2014 - Paid IV fee for my Mum.

March 25th 2014 - AOS accepted by NVC with no checklist.

March 26th 2014 - Filled in and submitted DS-260 for my Mum

March 31st 2014 - AOS found in my Mum's file for my Dad - accepted and placed into his file/IV fee available for my Dad and Paid.

April 1st - Mailed all civil documents to NVC for both parents.

April 3rd: IV fee shows as paid in portal/submitted DS-260 for my Dad.

April 22nd: checklist issued for civil documents - NVC error ...

April 23rd: sent another certified copy of my marriage certificate

April 24th: Case complete! :)

April 30th 2014 - Medical scheduled for parents at Knightsbridge in London

June 11th: Interview at London Embassy - Approved :)

Truffles,

I feel your pain !!

When I first started the job search back in March 2007, I thought I would have something easily within four weeks. I applied online, Monster, Career Builder etc but never received any acknowledgements let alone any offers of interview.

I accidentally stumbled upon a job (friend of a friend of a friend type of thing), and that was a part time role. Anyway, I stepped up the search for full time employment in December 2007, and the first few weeks, after tens of applications, I heard nothing. Then at the end of January I started getting calls, and invitations to interview. Last week alone, I had 2 offers of employment for really good jobs in my preferred industry doing what I love, and then today I got a further offer !!!

It absolutely will happen for you, and one of the ways I found helpful was to contact a recruitment agency or consultant. You will find loads in your area online. Basically, a lot of these agencies have a large number of jobs on their books and because each agent gets a large commission for placing you, they really do work hard to get you placed somewhere. Im not sure what industry you are in? I do international Event Management and those jobs aren't always that common. All your hard work searching will pay off in the end. I did get very demotivated by the whole thing but do keep going and something will come along soon !!

Good luck !

Truffles,

I feel your pain !!

When I first started the job search back in March 2007, I thought I would have something easily within four weeks. I applied online, Monster, Career Builder etc but never received any acknowledgements let alone any offers of interview.

I accidentally stumbled upon a job (friend of a friend of a friend type of thing), and that was a part time role. Anyway, I stepped up the search for full time employment in December 2007, and the first few weeks, after tens of applications, I heard nothing. Then at the end of January I started getting calls, and invitations to interview. Last week alone, I had 2 offers of employment for really good jobs in my preferred industry doing what I love, and then today I got a further offer !!!

It absolutely will happen for you, and one of the ways I found helpful was to contact a recruitment agency or consultant. You will find loads in your area online. Basically, a lot of these agencies have a large number of jobs on their books and because each agent gets a large commission for placing you, they really do work hard to get you placed somewhere. Im not sure what industry you are in? I do international Event Management and those jobs aren't always that common. All your hard work searching will pay off in the end. I did get very demotivated by the whole thing but do keep going and something will come along soon !!

Good luck !

Hi all,

Ok here is my part of the story

I started applying for jobs on mid Jan. 08, started by applying for 4 jobs a day and today I reached 13 jobs, and to tell the truth I only got 5 call backs so far out of 50, I was so disappointed till I read this post, I thought I would get response for all the applications or at least "a no thank you", now I feel better. I applied so much that I think all the people who work for Aerotech know me already.

Being a mechanical engineer thought a job hunt here in the US for me will be a piece of cake, but guess what I was so so so wrong, I have worked for a well know company back in my home country and this company has couple of openings here in the US but in different state, I did apply for couple of those positions, only an e-mail asking about my status, reason for leaving my post back home, and I will get a call from them. that was 10 days ago and till now never got that call.

since, we started get short on money and no light at the end of the tunnel I started to apply for all kind of jobs even for technician position or general labor till know no feed back.

On Monday I should have a call interview for an entry level job, go apply for a warehouse personal that I asked 3 times if they require experience thank god the answer was no and for a pool tech. job that will train?.

wish me luck guys

a mech. engineer who is looking for a job :whistle:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
I have in my possession a EAD card and have been honing and toning my resume ....and sending it out here there and everywhere!

However .....it seems that companies here dont seem to be too urgent when filling positions?

I am wondering if there is certain amount of days beyond closing date for applications one can presume the application was unsucessful?....I appreciate - even in these days of electronic mail companies do not bother with a " thank you but no thank you".....anyone got any experiences?

My husband advises me i am too impatient ...and that dependant on the nature of the business, there can be a bit of a time to process the applications.....I am just soooooooo ready to work!

I too went through this process.. I don't know if it's just an America thing a Florida thing or a avoid the person with no US work history like they have something... but I too applied and applied and gone next to nothing back. I followed up on jobs by phone and email.

I did get in total 1 thanks but no thanks and 2 interviews out of I lost count how many applications it took. My first interview went very well, but they did ask quite a few times about my EAD. They didn't know what an EAD was, they didn't know what AOS was and didn't understand that I wouldn't be kicked out of the US after my EAD expired!! They instead in my opinion hired a citizen over me which they shouldn't have done. I had my GC stamp about a month later.

I did of course hunt Monster, Careerbuilder and the others for jobs, local and regional papers, local government agencies websites, county and city jobs for anything that pops up. I also checked out as things became more desperate for a job, any job start hunting the big chain stores nearby Wal-Mart, Target, Office Depot.. etc

The job I ended up with, I got about a week or two after my GC stamp I got with a government agency. I didn't get to do what I wanted to do and what I did back home. I didn't get paid what I thought I'd get but in the end it was and still is a job that pays the bills and I'm very happy I have it. I can't complain, I've been promoted and given 3 pay rises in the past year. The job I've got has and will help at least put my foot in the door of a new job here in the US and a better job in the future.

We all really do in a lot of ways start from scratch again moving over here.

Good Luck!!! :dance:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Big companies, with a formal hiring process, will usually send a "thank you, but..." letter. Most other companies... nope. It's like sending resumes to a black hole - until someone calls back. As someona said, looking for a job IS a job in itself.

The company where I work now called a few hours after I sent a resume.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.