McCain in 2000: "I hate the gooks. I will hate them as long as I live."

223 posts in this topic

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I guess then, during WW2 everyone that used the word Jap or Kraut are racists.Sheesh!

Jap = Jewish American Princess?

No, not that type of "Jap." He means "Jap" as in "Japanese." "Nip" was also used, since it was short for "Nippon."

Yes, I know. Unsuccessful joke attempt.

My grandmother used to have a Jewish American Princess cartoon on her bathroom wall (yes, she was Jewish).

Ah. Sorry about that. I sometimes have difficulty telling what is and what isn't a joke online, since there's no such thing as facial expression or vocal tone.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Guessing yours wasn't an online relationship with your SO then

:):P:(:o = facial expressions

WHAT? *cannot* "ha ha" face = tones

All indispensable!

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Guessing yours wasn't an online relationship with your SO then

:):P:(:o = facial expressions

WHAT? *cannot* "ha ha" face = tones

All indispensable!

Actually... it was -- at first, anyway. But we both seem to understand each other, even without the emoticons or smiley faces. However, I could easily say that she is much nicer and easygoing than I am. ;)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
So, if Go.ok isn't considered offensive to you all, maybe we should ask the mods to allow this word on VJ, because at present it ranks along with ####! I think rank is the right word here.

I don't think anyone here really said it's not offensive, at least I didn't.

However, we always need to consider the context and intent when any word is used. Not to mention that some people can create the most hideously racist speach without ever using an offensive word.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
So, if Go.ok isn't considered offensive to you all, maybe we should ask the mods to allow this word on VJ, because at present it ranks along with ####! I think rank is the right word here.

I don't think anyone here really said it's not offensive, at least I didn't.

However, we always need to consider the context and intent when any word is used. Not to mention that some people can create the most hideously racist speach without ever using an offensive word.

True - but equally he could have simply chosen to use less 'charged' language to make the same point.

What happened to him, happened over 30 years ago - in context, he might have gotten away with those kind of words at the time - when he was in that situation, or during that time-period, but you can't really use those words nowadays without considering the wider implications of how it will be perceived.

Edited by Number 6

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I admire his honesty. If you truly believe that most people on this earth look at other folks without discrimination, then you are deluded.

We're just not supposed to say anything, but I am willing to bet most people are constantly being silently discriminated against because of sex, race, sexual preference, weight, looks, religion, political affiliation, education, etc.

We judge people all the time in all areas of life.

Heck, I doubt the people who held McCain refrained from using 'offensive terms,' and they sure didn't hold back on the torture, lack of food, lack of medicine, or psychological abuse.

I see it like this, if the context was a one off episode fair enough, but to then go around saying that his use of the word was ok and continues to be ok because of his 'personal context' I believe that's a different story all together. There is no reason why he can't find another word to use to describe the appalling actions of his prison guards than one which has these offensive overtones to everyone from a particular region.

It's really his continued defence of the use of the word and his denial that it has another meaning to almost everyone else that is disturbing.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Call me white trash, dont bother me one bit. Blacks that call each other n###a seems not to bother them either. Sticks and stones.

oh that 'black call themselves #######' argument is already being discussed tons of times.. and its not the same thing

Yes - the word was assimilated into their lexicon as a way of taking ownership of it - but the term is pejorative, however you look at it.

Rationalization? Your joking right?

If women adopted abusive terms for themselves - such as b*tch and wh*re as everyday terms of address for each other - while it might be acceptable within their group, it doesn't change the meaning or history of the words does it?

You see this sort of things in kids with low self-esteem - run someone down enough times, and through negative reinforcement they'll start to believe it and start using those terms to describe themselves.

Look at the progression of names for blacks through history. "Negro" they didnt like it and wanted to be called "blacks" Now african american is the "term" being overly sensitive to names is just plain weak. You and others have labled me with names and I have never ever reported anyone cuz its their opinion, I really dont care.

Sure... If you think "they" are all of the same opinion in terms of what they call themselves.

I'm not really sure what your point is here - other than that its somehow wrong to express... "reservations" about perjorative racial terms.

It boils down to this. I dont give a ####### about names and never will. Name calling has been around since the begining of time and always will be. Jesse and Al have made millions raping the subject and some here have bought front row tickets.

It boils down to this. Using a racial epithet in any public context is going to be a problem for candidate running for public office. It doesn't exactly bode well for securing the votes of Korean or Vietnamese Americans does it?

Given the context of the remark, I doubt that it's going to be an issue with asian americans. I give them more credit than to summarily dismiss a candidate with McCain's credentials over a justifiable remark.

Asian American would not like to hear that term. It is understandable what John McCain had gone through as a POW and he has every right to hate those prison guards, but it does not mean he should use a word that refer to a particular race. He could have simply said that he will always hate those North Vietnamese prison guards who tortured him.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Asian American would not like to hear that term. It is understandable what John McCain had gone through as a POW and he has every right to hate those prison guards, but it does not mean he should use a word that refer to a particular race. He could have simply said that he will always hate those North Vietnamese prison guards who tortured him.

:thumbs: yes, it's just as simple as that....

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

I don't see them (the asian community) protesting....Thank god they, as an ethnic group in this country, don't get hysterical over every person that utters a slur in the heat of the moment as the blacks in this country do. Is there an asian counterpart to Al Sharpton? :devil:

Like I said before; he said it and justifyably so and there's no unringing the bell.......

miss_me_yet.jpg