Captain Ewok

2009 HHS Poverty Guidelines

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I have a quick question and hopefully someone can help me out with it. My fiance, Eric, has been paying child support on the side and it never used to affect his income. And according to the guides, he was above the 125% for a 2 person household.

But in two weeks he will be going to court and there is talk of them taking child support off of his pay which will affect his income. I'm also wondering, will we have to cliam it as a 3 person household even though his daughter is living with the mother? If that is the case then it looks like we will be under the 100% and need to find a co-sponsor.

Thanks guys for any help that you can provide!

I don't understand why child support will affect his income.

If they take the child support out of his income it stays the same, its just that his take home pay is less, but his gross income does not change. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Since he is supporting his daughter, he should list her as being a partial dependent on the I-134. I don't know how that would affect the household size. I *think* you would need to meet the household of 3 requirements.

Of course, I could be totally wrong :)

Thanks for the info. See, I thought they took the total from his home pay. Now when you say income.. do you mean before taxes? Because if it is after taxes then his child support will affect his total because the Government takes it right out of his pay.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Thanks for the info. See, I thought they took the total from his home pay. Now when you say income.. do you mean before taxes? Because if it is after taxes then his child support will affect his total because the Government takes it right out of his pay.

Before taxes.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi Fellow VJ Members!

So, I originally posted this in the NVC thread, but no one could seem to really give me a specific answer, but now reading through this thread, I have additional questions. Hope you guys/girls could help me out.

What is the difference between the I-134 and the I-864? I am filing a I-130, which form will I be filing?

Here is my big question:

I have been at my job for the past 3 years or so and my salary is well over the poverty limity. My tax return for 2006 was over the 125% poverty line, but 2007's tax return missed it by $2,500 because I was in Germany visiting my husband and getting married. I have paychecks to prove that had I been there my income would have been well over the limit. Here's my question: Is my I-130 going to get denied because my tax return didn't cut it, or are they going to be able to accept the letter from my employer (and personal employee record, pay stubs, etc.) as proof enough that my income is well above the 125% poverty line. Are they understanding to the fact that I wasn't in the country, but my wages are well above the limit?

Any help/input would be appreciated! Thank you guys.

Kind regards,

Przy

blackribbonsmall.png

I-130 Petition

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

Married in Germany : 10-19-2007

I-130 Sent : 01-03-2008

I-130 NOA1 : 02-07-2008

I-130 NOA2 : 04-28-2008

NVC Case Number Assigned : 05-02-2008

DS-3032 and AOS Fee Received from NVC: 05-17-2008

DS-3032 Choice of Agent Emailed to NVC: 05-17-2008

AOS Fee Paid Online: 05-19-2008 (PAID 05-20-2008)

AOS Sent To NVC: 05-27-2008 (Coversheet printed online)

DS-3032 accepted by NVC: 05-27-2008

I-864 Arrived at NVC: 05-28-2008

I-864 Entered into NVC System: 06-02-2008

IV Bill Received: 06-02-2008

IV Bill Paid: 06-03-2008

DS-230 sent to NVC via USPS Express Mail: 06-26-2008

DS-230 arrived at the NVC: 06-27-2008

DS-230 entered into system: 06-30-2008

Case Completed at NVC: 07-07-2008

Case Left the NVC for Frankfurt, Germany: 07-15-2008

Case Received at the Consulate: 07-17-2008

Interview Letter Received: 07-25-2008

Medical Appointment in Hamburg, Germany: 08-04-2008

Interview in Frankfurt, Germany at 8:00am: 08-13-2008 - APPROVED - VISA GRANTED

Visa Received in the Mail: 08-15-2008

Flight to the USA: 09-26-2008 (POE - LAX @ 3:40pm)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Can anyone please help me with my question above?? :D:thumbs: Would be greatly appreciated.

blackribbonsmall.png

I-130 Petition

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

Married in Germany : 10-19-2007

I-130 Sent : 01-03-2008

I-130 NOA1 : 02-07-2008

I-130 NOA2 : 04-28-2008

NVC Case Number Assigned : 05-02-2008

DS-3032 and AOS Fee Received from NVC: 05-17-2008

DS-3032 Choice of Agent Emailed to NVC: 05-17-2008

AOS Fee Paid Online: 05-19-2008 (PAID 05-20-2008)

AOS Sent To NVC: 05-27-2008 (Coversheet printed online)

DS-3032 accepted by NVC: 05-27-2008

I-864 Arrived at NVC: 05-28-2008

I-864 Entered into NVC System: 06-02-2008

IV Bill Received: 06-02-2008

IV Bill Paid: 06-03-2008

DS-230 sent to NVC via USPS Express Mail: 06-26-2008

DS-230 arrived at the NVC: 06-27-2008

DS-230 entered into system: 06-30-2008

Case Completed at NVC: 07-07-2008

Case Left the NVC for Frankfurt, Germany: 07-15-2008

Case Received at the Consulate: 07-17-2008

Interview Letter Received: 07-25-2008

Medical Appointment in Hamburg, Germany: 08-04-2008

Interview in Frankfurt, Germany at 8:00am: 08-13-2008 - APPROVED - VISA GRANTED

Visa Received in the Mail: 08-15-2008

Flight to the USA: 09-26-2008 (POE - LAX @ 3:40pm)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Fellow VJ Members!

So, I originally posted this in the NVC thread, but no one could seem to really give me a specific answer, but now reading through this thread, I have additional questions. Hope you guys/girls could help me out.

What is the difference between the I-134 and the I-864? I am filing a I-130, which form will I be filing?

Here is my big question:

I have been at my job for the past 3 years or so and my salary is well over the poverty limity. My tax return for 2006 was over the 125% poverty line, but 2007's tax return missed it by $2,500 because I was in Germany visiting my husband and getting married. I have paychecks to prove that had I been there my income would have been well over the limit. Here's my question: Is my I-130 going to get denied because my tax return didn't cut it, or are they going to be able to accept the letter from my employer (and personal employee record, pay stubs, etc.) as proof enough that my income is well above the 125% poverty line. Are they understanding to the fact that I wasn't in the country, but my wages are well above the limit?

Any help/input would be appreciated! Thank you guys.

Kind regards,

Przy

The employer's letter and pay stubs are fine. The Tax Returns aren't used in isolation.

Removing Conditions

07/31/2010 - Filed for Removal of Conditions (I-751)

08/02/2010 - ROC Packet received

08/03/2010 - NOA notice date for I-751

08/05/2010 - Check cashed

08/07/2010 - NOA received for I-751

08/13/2010 - Biometrics appointment letter received

09/01/2010 - Biometrics taken

09/01/2010 - Case status appears online

11/08/2010 - Card production ordered

11/13/2010 - I-751 Approval Letter received

11/19/2010 - Green Card received in the mail

Citizenship

08/01/2011 - Filed for Citizenship (N-400)

08/03/2011 - N400 Packet received

08/05/2011 - Received email/text confirming application receipt

08/08/2011 - Check cashed

08/09/2011 - Biometrics notice sent

08/12/2011 - NOA received for N400

08/12/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter received

08/29/2011 - Biometrics taken

08/31/2011 - Case Status Notification: Placed in line for interview scheduling

10/11/2011 - Received yellow letter

01/11/2012 - Interview letter sent

01/17/2012 - Interview letter received

02/16/2012 - Interview & received Oath letter

03/06/2012 - Oath ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

I'm really trying to understand correctly.... we need two affidavits of support on the K-1 visa journey? The first one that shows my income level at 100% of the povertly level or above and then the second one, at a later time (adjustment of status, maybe), showing 125%? I'm really sorry if it seems like I haven't read the guides, but, in fact I have, and it just seems a little confusing.

Also, on a discussion of a co-sponser, does anyone have any idea if being a co-sponser affects that persons income tax returns (or anything else)... in any way? I mean, ideally, if the fiance were NEVER to receive public benefits, then the co-sponsor would never be liable or be affected in any other way? I just want to be totally prepared when I talk to our possible co-sponser.

Thanks a lot for any advice :D

Timeline
I'm really trying to understand correctly.... we need two affidavits of support on the K-1 visa journey? The first one that shows my income level at 100% of the povertly level or above and then the second one, at a later time (adjustment of status, maybe), showing 125%? I'm really sorry if it seems like I haven't read the guides, but, in fact I have, and it just seems a little confusing.

Also, on a discussion of a co-sponser, does anyone have any idea if being a co-sponser affects that persons income tax returns (or anything else)... in any way? I mean, ideally, if the fiance were NEVER to receive public benefits, then the co-sponsor would never be liable or be affected in any other way? I just want to be totally prepared when I talk to our possible co-sponser.

Thanks a lot for any advice :D

The affidavit of support is used to determine whether the beneficiary will become a public charge. Some consulates will ask for the 125% level, others 100%, so I would double check with your consulate to make sure. At AOS, after entry into the US, it is 125%.

The affidavit of support (I-864, I-134 is not binding) should not affect taxes.

Click for full timeline

• 10 months later...

Can anybody help me do we list the GROSS income to figure if we are over the poverty guidlines or the figure that is applicable after Deductoons and Exemptions?

If it is Gross then we are fine but with $3900 in deductions and exemptions we may not be over the 125% needed?

Thanks

I have a quick question and hopefully someone can help me out with it. My fiance, Eric, has been paying child support on the side and it never used to affect his income. And according to the guides, he was above the 125% for a 2 person household.

But in two weeks he will be going to court and there is talk of them taking child support off of his pay which will affect his income. I'm also wondering, will we have to cliam it as a 3 person household even though his daughter is living with the mother? If that is the case then it looks like we will be under the 100% and need to find a co-sponsor.

Thanks guys for any help that you can provide!

I don't understand why child support will affect his income.

If they take the child support out of his income it stays the same, its just that his take home pay is less, but his gross income does not change. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Since he is supporting his daughter, he should list her as being a partial dependent on the I-134. I don't know how that would affect the household size. I *think* you would need to meet the household of 3 requirements.

Of course, I could be totally wrong :)

Timeline
Can anybody help me do we list the GROSS income to figure if we are over the poverty guidlines or the figure that is applicable after Deductoons and Exemptions?

If it is Gross then we are fine but with $3900 in deductions and exemptions we may not be over the 125% needed?

Thanks

Gross income.

Click for full timeline

Thank you that is a huge relief at least now I know we can qualify on that front!!

I was just studying the tax return and relized that taking out the $3900 Deductions made us under and I thought if they use that as the final figure I am not going to do it.

Thanks

Gross income.

Thank you that is a huge relief at least now I know we can qualify on that front!!

I was just studying the tax return and relized that taking out the $3900 Deductions made us under and I thought if they use that as the final figure I am not going to do it.

Thanks

Gross income.

Still double checking so the figure we use for the forms would be in box 1 on the W2? The total wages,tips and other compensations?

Timeline

Yes :thumbs:

Still double checking so the figure we use for the forms would be in box 1 on the W2? The total wages,tips and other compensations?

Click for full timeline

Yes :thumbs:

Thanks for such quick answers you are certainly reducing our stress levels!!!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

can someone help me.. for example if someone has $38000 from work plus -13,000 from a business,that equals $25000, so this is the amount they will see on the tax return.. it looks as if that person is under the limit..

will they take into account the lowered income is becuz of a business loss??

will the fact that the 06 and 07 tax returns show income above the limits make a difference?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.