wifetobe

Lawyer keeping mum

16 posts in this topic

Let me please give you a quick run down!

My fiancé (the petitioner) and I are just beginning our visa journey and our lawyer is ready to send off the petition. Though before he does, he asked my better other to write a letter stating exactly what his past conviction was for along with dates he served. He served 80 days of jail time throughout a year for drug and alcoholic abuse (not a serious crime). He meets with his DOC officer every week to make sure that he is clean of course and still attending his AA meetings which he is.

What I do not understand is why the lawyer told my fiancé: Do not share what I told you with your fianceé. ?? :unsure::huh: Why would a lawyer say that to my fiancé? He told me straight away but I feel somewhat uneasy that he even suggested that my fiancé keep a secret from me!!! Why on earth?

Sorry am confused, any feedback would be very nice.

Many thanks.

I would have a conversation with your lawyer and ask him straight up what's going on.

Asking the person you are going to be married to, the person you are spending the rest of your life with to withhold information from you is very shady and makes even me nervous.

I'd be getting to the bottom of it asap.

What other dishonest tactics does he believe in?

I wish you luck!

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Strange one, IMBRA rules for K-1 indicate that the US government can and does provide this to the foreign fiancee.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/IMBRA072106.pdf

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I would have a conversation with your lawyer and ask him straight up what's going on.

Asking the person you are going to be married to, the person you are spending the rest of your life with to withhold information from you is very shady and makes even me nervous.

I wish you luck!

:) You are absolutely spot on Laura. I want to get down to the bottom of it and ask in a polite and firm manner why he would say such a thing to my fiancé. It makes me feel uncomfortable that we are paying for a service which appears to be less than what I would expect from a lawyer.. It's really bizarre but I will keep you posted. I appreciate your thoughts :thumbs: The best of luck with your honey (L):)

I wish you luck!

:) You are absolutely spot on Laura. I want to get down to the bottom of it and ask in a polite and firm manner why he would say such a thing to my fiancé. It makes me feel uncomfortable that we are paying for a service which appears to be less than what I would expect from a lawyer.. It's really bizarre but I will keep you posted. I appreciate your thoughts :thumbs: The best of luck with your honey (L):)

You are very welcome. :thumbs:

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Strange one, IMBRA rules for K-1 indicate that the US government can and does provide this to the foreign fiancee.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/IMBRA072106.pdf

Thanks for that. I just read the statement related to my question and it says that the department of state will disclose this info to the beneficiary (me) at the time of the consular interview. That's fine, but why would my lawyer say such a thing to my fiancé? Perhaps I shouldn't get too bent out of shape and just treat this with a pinch of salt. My lawyer is in a meeting so awaiting his phone call when he is available grrrr :angry:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Why didn't your fiance ask him right away after he told him not to tell you? I mean, after all you are paying for his services.. you and your fiance should feel free to ask him everything you need/want to ask.

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Your posts are a bit confusing.....

My fiancé (the petitioner) and I are just beginning our visa journey and our lawyer is ready to send off the petition. Though before he does, he asked my better other to write a letter stating exactly what his past conviction was for along with dates he served. He served 80 days of jail time throughout a year for drug and alcoholic abuse (not a serious crime). He meets with his DOC officer every week to make sure that he is clean of course and still attending his AA meetings which he is.

What I do not understand is why the lawyer told my fiancé: Do not share what I told you with your fianceé. ?? :unsure::huh: Why would a lawyer say that to my fiancé? He told me straight away but I feel somewhat uneasy that he even suggested that my fiancé keep a secret from me!!! Why on earth?

What did the lawyer tell him, that he wasn't supposed to share w/ you? You state that the lawyer asked your fiance (the US citizen) to write down what/when/why of his conviction and jail term....but then what did the lawyer "tell" your fiancee that he wasn't supposed to share w/ you?

Thanks for that. I just read the statement related to my question and it says that the department of state will disclose this info to the beneficiary (me) at the time of the consular interview. That's fine, but why would my lawyer say such a thing to my fiancé? Perhaps I shouldn't get too bent out of shape and just treat this with a pinch of salt. My lawyer is in a meeting so awaiting his phone call when he is available grrrr :angry:

Who's lawyer is it and where is this person located? Either way, its probably not the most "kosher" think for one's lawyer to advise the 'witholding' of information from one's SO. Are you sure he meant taht your fiancee not tell you about his conviction and jail time? Its just kinda pointless to say something like that....because chances are that you already know.

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

I wish you luck!

Hi I'm back with an update lol!! My fiance misheard what our lawyer said :wacko: so the big confusion is now a big sigh of relief ;) My lawyer basically said to me fiancé "I can not disclose information about you via public records, you would have to do a check for yourself" so I really don't know where my fiance got that from about the 'don't tell me' part.. I think it's overtime hours he's done in the last week. Sorry for the 'waste of time' post... I really wished I sorted it first before posting on here. :no:

I wish you luck!

Hi I'm back with an update lol!! My fiance misheard what our lawyer said :wacko: so the big confusion is now a big sigh of relief ;) My lawyer basically said to me fiancé "I can not disclose information about you via public records, you would have to do a check for yourself" so I really don't know where my fiance got that from about the 'don't tell me' part.. I think it's overtime hours he's done in the last week. Sorry for the 'waste of time' post... I really wished I sorted it first before posting on here. :no:

whew! I bet that's a huge sigh of relief huh!!! :thumbs:

Thanks for updating...glad it all worked out ok!!!! (F)

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I wish you luck!

I don't profess to be an expert on this, but reading through this thread, as well having a little understanding about the IMBRA requirements, my theory would be this: the lawyer is trying to tell your fiance that he (your fiance) should get a copy of his record and make sure that he gives it (not tells) you. The lawyer cannot do this, because his communication with your fiance is protected by lawyer-client privilege. The lawyer may also be trying to avoid taking on responsibility for this because of additional time and or costs it would incur beyond his already paid fees.

You having a complete, printed copy of your fiance's record equips you with all that you need to know about your fiance's past when it comes to the consular interview. The consular section will want to be sure that you have had full access and knowledge of your fiance's background, especially since there have been incidents in his past. Showing them that you have a copy of his record that he sent you (or that you got yourself) is more convincing (and secure) than just responding "Yes, he told me all about that."

Your fiance can get a copy of his records (I think) from the state police where he was convicted, or perhaps the FBI. If he has moved to various locations (different states in US) it might be worth getting a seperate report from each state he has lived in. He will have to make the request and pay some costs for each report. Doing it this way, rather than just sending you copies of his original court documents, is also more convincing because it will show that you've been given a more thorough search. Not just the single incident report(s).

Also, be prepared that it might take a little extra time for your Visa process, as your fiance's past might come up during the Name Check that the Service Center does, which might cause them to want to have someone take an extra look at it before approval.

Unless someone more knowledgeable tells you otherwise, I wouldn't take this effort lightly. The IMBRA requirements are in place to protect the incoming fiance and the Embassy consular section takes their role in their monitoring seriously. A few extra steps (and a few extra $$'s) on your fiance's part might save some precious time later.

K1 Visa Process
USPS Express Mail I-129F Package sent to USCIS VT Service Center 07/05/07
NOA-1 Received: Notice Date 07/11/07
NOA-2 Received: Notice Date 11/20/07
Medical conducted 12/21, 26, 28/07, 01/02/08
USEM Interview conducted 01/04/08
Visas picked up at USEM (request non-delivery) 01/08/08
Family (Mom & kids) arrive Washington, DC 01/13/08

AOS Process
USPS Priority Mail package to USCIS Chicago Lockbox 03/14/08
Arrived Chicago Lockbox 03/16/08
Checks Cashed for AOS fees 04/24/08
NOA1s received 04/25/08
Biometrics (spouse & 3 kids) 05/14/08
AOS transferred to CSC 05/23/08

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I wish you luck!

You are very welcome. :thumbs:

Way to help

July 19------------Send the I-129F

July 26------------Recieved

December 7th----NOA2 online

December 14-----NOA2 Hard Copy

December 21-----NVC recieved

December 28-----NVC send to US embassy in Ethiopia

January 8---------US embassy in Ethiopia will recieve

January 11--------Packet 3

February 7 -------Interview

February 7 -------Passed interview

February 12------VISA in hand

February 22------IN the USA

March 1-----------Wedding

March 15----------Sent AOS

July 7 -------------Finger Print

January 27, 2009--Green card approved without interview. It took almost one year though.

Feb 2 -------------Got the green card in the mail

Next: playing the waiting game for the 2 years holding removal

omg_wtf.jpg

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Can't disclose what's in a public record??? It's public!!!! I could even get a copy of it if I was interested.

You get these records a from the county or court clerk where this conviction took place. FBI or police would have nothing.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Ummm....this thread is almost 2 months old. Nothing here to see anymore.

Yes, you can see that I helped...almost 2 months ago, I helped. So there.

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.