pax

A Day without Immigrants

306 posts in this topic

A day without immigrants? Does that mean I can stay in bed all day? Can I can I???? :jest:

Oh no you don't. We need YOU to pay the taxes and healthcare for the illegals.

Duh :crying: party pooper

Entry in the USA: May 13 2005

10 yr GC approved: October 5 2007

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

I just read recently that unemployment in the US is a little above 4% which means that full employment is almost achieved (econonists assume that there's a certain percentage among the unemployed which for whatever number of reasons are not employable). That would mean that filling 6,000,000 jobs would be difficult, especially once it comes down to those jobs that are more "undesirable" than others.

I do, however, not think that if all the jobs held currently by illegals were filled wuth legal workers that prices would sky-rocket. Employers will try to shift the financial burden on the consumer, but whether that could be done successfully is doubtful given that many people already have problem paying for produce and services as things stand now. But that's why employers want to keep the labor system the way it is now, or if any changes are made they prefer the guest worker program over other alternatives. It keeps wages low and the labor force docile.

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: Timeline
I just read recently that unemployment in the US is a little above 4% which means that full employment is almost achieved (econonists assume that there's a certain percentage among the unemployed which for whatever number of reasons are not employable).

You know how that number is calculated and how long people actually fall into the "unemployed" category that goes into this percentage, yes?

I was an uncounted unemployed once. Wasn't all that long ago. ;)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

homeless people are usually jobless/homeless due to substance abuse and or mental illness or other factors that have contributed to them NOT having or being able to keep a job. Shipping all of NYC's homeless out to rural NJ to farm....NOT a feasible option IMHO

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
a day that i can understand all the people at Walmart

yeah...its about time we get those phillipinos out of there!

12/5/05 Sent I129F Petition to Nebraska via Express Mail

12/6/05 Packaged received at 10:38 am in Nebraska

12/9/05 Check cashed (Never been so happy to have money leave my account)

12/12/05 Receive NOA1 snail mail - 30-60 day processing estimate

01/04/06 Receive NOA2 via e-mail

1/20/06 NVC letter in mail...will ship within a week.

2/1/06 Packet 3 and 4 in the mail

3/15/06 Interview - neither approved nor declined need to send in Migratory Movement Certificate AP

3/20/06 Migratory Movement Certificate for myself and fiancee sent to US Embassy in Lima

3/23/06 Visa Approved

5/19/06 I leave for Peru to pick up mi amor

5/25/06 Lucia and I arrive in Chicago

7/01/06 Legal Marriage

9/09/06 Religious Wedding

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
:huh: Walmart hires illegal immigrants???????? :no:

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline
I just read recently that unemployment in the US is a little above 4% which means that full employment is almost achieved (econonists assume that there's a certain percentage among the unemployed which for whatever number of reasons are not employable).

You know how that number is calculated and how long people actually fall into the "unemployed" category that goes into this percentage, yes?

I know about that, but the percentage is around 7% if you account for those not in the statistic. That's still not enough to fill those jobs, especially if you subtract those that count as unemployable.

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

I was also unemployed, not too very long ago...which brings up another interesting point...you've got people in there who are searching for professional positions-not strawberry pickers. Factoring in that, the percentage actually available to fill those positions is even lower.

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I know about that, but the percentage is around 7% if you account for those not in the statistic. That's still not enough to fill those jobs, especially if you subtract those that count as unemployable.

And then there are the underemployed

12/5/05 Sent I129F Petition to Nebraska via Express Mail

12/6/05 Packaged received at 10:38 am in Nebraska

12/9/05 Check cashed (Never been so happy to have money leave my account)

12/12/05 Receive NOA1 snail mail - 30-60 day processing estimate

01/04/06 Receive NOA2 via e-mail

1/20/06 NVC letter in mail...will ship within a week.

2/1/06 Packet 3 and 4 in the mail

3/15/06 Interview - neither approved nor declined need to send in Migratory Movement Certificate AP

3/20/06 Migratory Movement Certificate for myself and fiancee sent to US Embassy in Lima

3/23/06 Visa Approved

5/19/06 I leave for Peru to pick up mi amor

5/25/06 Lucia and I arrive in Chicago

7/01/06 Legal Marriage

9/09/06 Religious Wedding

Timeline
And then there's me, the about-to-be-unemployed-if-all-the-rumors-are-true-but-too-damn-complacent-to-start-looking-for-another-job-even-though -i-seen-this-coming-months-ago.

awww AS, is that true??? :(

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

Filed: Timeline

And then there's me, the about-to-be-unemployed-if-all-the-rumors-are-true-but-too-damn-complacent-to-start-looking-for-another-job-even-though -i-seen-this-coming-months-ago.

awww AS, is that true??? :(

I don't know.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

I hope not.... *crossing fingers* (F)

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED