pax

A Day without Immigrants

306 posts in this topic

So I was listening to Morning Edition on my way to work, and in the little news brief at the top of the half hour, they mentioned this planned "Day without Immigrants" again. And I started to wonder what, indeed, this day without immigrants (and here I assume that activists are referring largely to undocumented immigrants) would look like.

I had to ask myself, as much as I'm not in favor of draconian immigration legislation, what the American economy might look like without large numbers of undocumented immigrants here. Might we really pay much more for produce, meat, and manufactured goods? Who did the jobs that illegal immigrants do now before they started coming here in large numbers? Or have these jobs always been done by illegal immigrants; that is, did industries like mass farms and slaughterhouses grow with and because of illegal labor?

Would a day without undocumented immigrants mean a huge loss of both labor and revenue? Or would it mean that employers would be forced to hire legal workers with pay, benefits, and protections consistent with current law?

I honestly don't know. I'm not wanting to argue either side. I'm interested to see what people think.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

12 million illegal immigrants. Assume 6 million of them have jobs. That's 6 million jobs that would go undone if they weren't around. Compound the problem by the fact that the 6 million jobs aren't spread across the job spectrum but are concentrated in certain industries and in certain geographical regions. The impact would be significant, IMHO.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

A day without immigrants? Does that mean I can stay in bed all day? Can I can I???? :jest:

Entry in the USA: May 13 2005

10 yr GC approved: October 5 2007

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Thats why there are Temp agencies :P

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Well, maybe I should have phrased my question better...what if those jobs went vacant not just for a day, but for weeks or months? Would it be impossible to find Americans to do those jobs? Would it dramatically increase prices if Americans did the jobs?

Something tells me it's not out of fear of raising prices that keeps businesses employing illegals, but a desire to keep the pockets of CEOs comfortably lined. They're not passing the savings on to consumers as it is anyway. IMO.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Timeline

but a desire to keep the pockets of CEOs comfortably lined.

:thumbs:

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Timeline

ooooooooooooooo good point!!

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Seeing that the vast majority (typically 80% or better) of workers in the indutries often infiltrated with illegals are legally employed and seeing that there are millions of unemployed and underemployed people out there signed up with temp agencies, I'd say bring it on. Let us show to the illegal crowd that we'd be doing just fine without them. And then send them packing. :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
Well, maybe I should have phrased my question better...what if those jobs went vacant not just for a day, but for weeks or months? Would it be impossible to find Americans to do those jobs? Would it dramatically increase prices if Americans did the jobs?

Something tells me it's not out of fear of raising prices that keeps businesses employing illegals, but a desire to keep the pockets of CEOs comfortably lined. They're not passing the savings on to consumers as it is anyway. IMO.

American farming families used to have many children. Part of that was the practical need to have additional labor.

If you can find an umemployed American that is willing to work in rural North Dakota......god bless ya....and the temp agency.

Hell.....we can't even get doctors to go out to those "underserved" areas. We import foreign physicians to take care of that.

Construction industry.....different story. You could probably get people to fill those jobs.

12/5/05 Sent I129F Petition to Nebraska via Express Mail

12/6/05 Packaged received at 10:38 am in Nebraska

12/9/05 Check cashed (Never been so happy to have money leave my account)

12/12/05 Receive NOA1 snail mail - 30-60 day processing estimate

01/04/06 Receive NOA2 via e-mail

1/20/06 NVC letter in mail...will ship within a week.

2/1/06 Packet 3 and 4 in the mail

3/15/06 Interview - neither approved nor declined need to send in Migratory Movement Certificate AP

3/20/06 Migratory Movement Certificate for myself and fiancee sent to US Embassy in Lima

3/23/06 Visa Approved

5/19/06 I leave for Peru to pick up mi amor

5/25/06 Lucia and I arrive in Chicago

7/01/06 Legal Marriage

9/09/06 Religious Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
How many homeless people who can't find a job would suddenly find themselves with work, food, and a home?

Dude....you've got to be kidding me

12/5/05 Sent I129F Petition to Nebraska via Express Mail

12/6/05 Packaged received at 10:38 am in Nebraska

12/9/05 Check cashed (Never been so happy to have money leave my account)

12/12/05 Receive NOA1 snail mail - 30-60 day processing estimate

01/04/06 Receive NOA2 via e-mail

1/20/06 NVC letter in mail...will ship within a week.

2/1/06 Packet 3 and 4 in the mail

3/15/06 Interview - neither approved nor declined need to send in Migratory Movement Certificate AP

3/20/06 Migratory Movement Certificate for myself and fiancee sent to US Embassy in Lima

3/23/06 Visa Approved

5/19/06 I leave for Peru to pick up mi amor

5/25/06 Lucia and I arrive in Chicago

7/01/06 Legal Marriage

9/09/06 Religious Wedding

A day without immigrants? Does that mean I can stay in bed all day? Can I can I???? :jest:

Oh no you don't. We need YOU to pay the taxes and healthcare for the illegals.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

How many homeless people who can't find a job would suddenly find themselves with work, food, and a home?

Dude....you've got to be kidding me

Second that...there's ALWAYS something available....if they're willing to take it. It might be McD's but it's available. People who don't want to work will continue to not work, regardless of whether they have to look for it or if it's dangled in front of them.

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch