MikaG

Have U Ever Hid Your Relationship w/ A Foreigner To Avoid Criticism?

70 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

Have u ever hid your relationship w/ a foreigner to avoid criticism? Some people would rather keep their relationship w/ a foreigner to themselves so that they don't have to hear unwanted comments such as:

Long distance relationships don't last.

Why couldn't u just find love in your own country?

Are u sure they're not only after you for a green card?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have u ever hid your relationship w/ a foreigner to avoid criticism? Some people would rather keep their relationship w/ a foreigner to themselves so that they don't have to hear unwanted comments such as:

A long distance relationship can last if you both agree into that and put a lot of passion in order to make it work.

If you look somebody else in other country is because you get tired of what you have in your own country.

Time is the only one that can prove if your partner is going thru a green card, if that person is in rush for having an application in the mail, then it is a green card hunter, if this is not the only topic of conversation then this person is more into you than in the green card. :thumbs:

I think that you don´t have to accept criticism from nobody about it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I'm going to move this to the off topic forum because it isn't really on topic for K-1 process and procedures but ...

since M was already in the US, no. At first, a little bit maybe but only if you mean not telling the whole world. Just like I don't care about other people's relationships, I'm sure they don't care about mine (but I was naive then). I've heard all the comments. Hiding a relationship to please other people doesn't speak well as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by athena_ny

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

nope! I told everyone and never cared what they thought or said behind my back :thumbs:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Nope.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I sure didn't hide my relationship but I am sure my family thought I was crazy specially after I told them I was going to fly down to meet him all by myself.... :blink:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
I sure didn't hide my relationship but I am sure my family thought I was crazy specially after I told them I was going to fly down to meet him all by myself.... :blink:

Mine too! :blush:

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I tried to be discreet about it because one question usually would lead to another.... "Oh, you're dating someone who is across the ocean?" "How does that work?" "Couldn't you date someone closer to home?"

I understand your concern, and I usually would get those kinds of questions from colleagues, friends and family, so they were all well meaning, but it did make me feel like I had to defend the relationship.

I'd say the best thing you can do is come up with short, witty responses to make them laugh and then change the subject. :)

"Couldn't you date someone closer to home?" A: I tried, but everytime I'd mention that the leprosy is now in remission, they'd run to the nearest restroom and never come back out. :star:

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

my dad once asked me if I was just settling... :o if I was going to settle for someone wouldn't I have picked someone who lived closer and in the same country?? :unsure:

of course they love my hubby now and my mom said he fits perfectly into our family :thumbs:

i guess I do know what I am doing :P

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

"Are u sure they're not only after you for a green card?" A: I'm not sure. Can you recommend some good spy equipment I can use?

:lol: