Zee Bee

Recipes

73 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

So, being that there has been talk of food and recipes and whatnot I decided we should probably have a central place to share what we know. So come and share :)

I guess I will start :P

Here are 2 Ghanaian recipes that I have shared with others on VJ:

(1) Rice balls with peanut butter soup

• Unsalted, unsalted creamy peanut butter (organic is the best)
  • water
  • chicken, lamb, fish (either smoked or fried), beef, goat or a combination
  • tomato (medium chopped)
  • onion (medium chopped)
  • corn oil (enough for stir frying)
  • spinach or green beans (optional)
  • salt, black pepper to taste
In one pot stir fry onions. Add whatever meat you like and tomatoes and cover. Leave over medium-low heat.

In another pot mix one part peanut butter with about 2 parts water. You don't really need to measure because you can just eyeball it. All you really want to do is add enough water so that the peanut butter becomes watery. Don't worry about adding too much water because it will just evaporate off. If you are using organic peanut butter make sure to mix the oil and peanut butter so that it is creamy before dissolving in the water. Place on high heat while stirring (or else the peanut butter will stick). When it starts steaming then lower heat to medium and continue the stirring until it starts boiling. Leave to boil for about 20 minutes on medium heat while stirring occasionally. You should start to see some of the oil from the peanut butter drift to the top.

Empty the peanut butter mixture into the pit with the meat. Stir, add spinach or green beans, cover and leave to simmer in meat sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. I also add red pepper flakes to add a little kick to it.

For the rice: cook as you normally would. When it gets to the point when you would normally take it off the fire, start stiring it to see if it becomes sticky. If not, add a little bit of water and stir. When it is relatively stick spoon about a cup and a half into a bowl you have wetted with water (a small mixing bowl works well) and just roll the rice around until it becomes a ball.

What I would normally do is make the soup and as it is simmering I make the rice. For the soup I tend to like it thick so I leave it on the stove for some time, others like it lighter. You can add water to make the consistency lighter if you like.

(2) Plantain with bean stew

• black eyed beans (about 1 1/2 - 2 cups)
  • palm oil (a lot of Chinese, Indian and African stores sell it. Most places I have seen have it imported from Ghana)
  • onion (medium chopped)
  • tomato (one can diced)
  • meat (I normally use fried fish and chicken but you can use whatever you want)
  • baking soda (1/2 tbsp)
  • water (1/2 cup)
  • salt, black pepper, curry powder
For the stew: stir fry onions in palm oil. Stir in tomatoes and add meat salt, pepper and curry powder. Let it simmer for a about 3-4 minutes. Wash beans (I know it says to soak but I never do because then you get more of a paste than a stew). Add water, beans and baking soda to meat mixture. Let it simmer on medium-ow heat for about 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If it gets too thick you may need to add a little more water. When the beans start to get soft but not smushed you know it is ready. Some people like the beans a little firmer so you can judge how soft you want the beans.

For the plantians: you can either boil them or fry them, it does not really matter, just whatever you fancy. I tend to prefer boiled to fried though. You can also eat the stew over boiled rice or yams (boiled or fried). Also, this kind of stew is also very popular when eaten with Gari (Dried cassava) -- popularly known as gari and beans. It comes in baggies at most African food stoes and all you need to do is leave it to soak in some water and you eat it like couscous.

NB: you can use the same recipe for bean stew to make spinach stew which can also be eaten with plantains or over boiled rice. Just cook the meat longer (about 20 minutes), add a small can of tomato paste, add the spinach and only use 1/2 tsp of baking soda. Bean stew tends to be made more with palm oil while spinach stew can be made with palm/corn/canola/olive oil as well.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Ooooh, sounds yummy. I don't have any African recipes, though :(

I-129F

11/15/2007 = Package sent overnight Fedex to CSC

11/16/2007 = Package arrived at CSC

11/21/2007 = NOA1 (according to www.uscis.gov online case status)

11/26/2007 = Check cashed (YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!)

11/28/2007 = Touched

11/30/2007 = Rec'd NOA1 hard copy in the mail

12/20/2007 = Touched

12/21/2007 = Touched

03/12/2008 = Touched (due to phone call)

03/24/2008 = NOA2!!!!!!!!!

03/25/2008 = Touched

04/23/2008 = Touched

05/05/2008 = Arrived at Consulate

05/12/2008 = Picked up Packets 3 & 4

06/24/2008 = Interview Date and APPROVAL

07/02/2008 = Picked up Visa at Embassy

07/05/2008 = Arrival in the U.S.!!!!!!!!! Met at POE in ATLANTA

07/06/2008 = Fly back to Salt Lake City Together!!!!

08/06/2008 = MARRIED TODAY!!!

AOS & EAD

08/23/2008 = Package sent via USPS with Signature Confirmation

08/25/2008 = Package arrived in Chicago

08/26/2008 = Check cashed

09/02/2008 = NOA1 for EAD and AOS received in the mail.

4400355_bodyshot_300x400.gif4400923_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Timeline

It doesn't have to be explicitly African :no:

It can be anything that you/your SO enjoy :yes:

Click for full timeline

Ooooh this is a great thread...I was thinking of starting something like this. I thought one already existed. Anyhoo...does anyone know how to make that yummy fried rice that they sell in Nigeria? I've been craving some since I've gotten back. Its looks easy enough...rice (yellow rice??), peas, carrots, red pepper (tatashe), cabbage, and green peppers, I believe. But what seasoning? Its not an Igbo dish, so I have no clue...

Anybody have a clue on how to make it?

June 8th - I-129F mailed to VSC

June 13th - NOA1

November 9th - NOA2!!!

January 10th - APPROVED!

January 24 - Pick up visa

January 31 - Honey arrives in US!

February 28- Court marriage

May 2- NOA1 for I-485 and EAD

May 31- Biometrics

June 2- TOUCHED

Sept 2008 - Perm resident

12/7/12. File n-400 at Dallas Lockbox

Timeline
Ooooh this is a great thread...I was thinking of starting something like this. I thought one already existed. Anyhoo...does anyone know how to make that yummy fried rice that they sell in Nigeria? I've been craving some since I've gotten back. Its looks easy enough...rice (yellow rice??), peas, carrots, red pepper (tatashe), cabbage, and green peppers, I believe. But what seasoning? Its not an Igbo dish, so I have no clue...

Yummm, sounds delish!!!

Click for full timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Nix thank you! I would love that recipe too. Ghana had some good rice and I tried to duplicate it here but.....didnt work. I have one for shitor, though. I will post soon.

03/09/2013: Married

09/10/2013: Sent I-130

09/12/2013: Case Received.

03/04/2014: Petition transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

03/25/2014: I-130 Petition approved

03/28/2014: Petition sent to NVC

04/09/2014: NVC received case

05/08/2014: NVC assigned case number

05/16/2014: Paid AOS fee

10/02/2014: Case Closed

10/10/2014: Interview Date Scheduled

11/17/2014: Interview - APPROVED!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
So, being that there has been talk of food and recipes and whatnot I decided we should probably have a central place to share what we know. So come and share :)

I guess I will start :P

Here are 2 Ghanaian recipes that I have shared with others on VJ:

I'll have to try the peanut soup this weekend. :luv: It's one of my favorites next to spinach stew.

Mom will be shocked if I get it right.

I made light soup with sticky rice last week which my twins husband enjoyed emensly!

I-130

07/29/2007---began process

01/24/2008---I-130 APPROVED (email)

I-129F

11/2007-------sent I-129F - VSC

02/17/2008---touched (at Vermont)

...I'm CR1 now--IV bill shows CR1--oh well

NVC

02/12/2007---at NVC

02/25/2008---received DS-3032 and AOS bill

03/10/2008---received IV Bill ($400!!)

03/24/2008---mailed DS2032

10/10/2008---approved at NVC

11/06/2008---interview (more evidence)

02/17/2009---2nd interview- PASSED!!!!!

04/01/2009---He finally landed on US soil. (no joke)

4309082_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Zee you are right on time. Samuel asked me just last Sunday if there are any stores that sell Ghanaian food. I cannot find any here in Cleveland. The closest restaurant I found was in Washington DC and there is a store in Cincinnati that I went to while I was in school. But to travel four hours just does not seem economical. He asked me to see if I can find "Banku". I hope I spelled that right. Do you know what that is? I also need to find the spices that his Mom used while I was in Ghana. I talked to her on the phone, but my Twi is limited :blush: so I could not understand. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks for the thread!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I found a store in our area by googling African Markets in (insert you area here) I found 3!! One is never open LOL the second was pretty dirty, my husband was like no way...but the third is perfect, we can find so many things there, good luck finding a market. :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I have taught myself (from watching my husband) to make "stew" and okra soup ( he says my okra is better than his :D ) I have been working on the fried rice thing kinda hit and miss LOL, put too many peppers one day...woops sorry babe :lol: . I have found recpies online by searching and then I ask him what about this what about that. I guess I am lucky hy husband is a good cook so I have someone to ask. I am going to try to take Esgusi soup next. We will see how it goes... next time I go to Nigeria I am going to get more recipies from my sister in law, it can be hard over the phone to figure out when she cooks by sight not by exact measurement. ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If any of you have any Nigerian recipes (especially rice dishes), could you post them? I am not a good cook as it is and I don't have a clue which recipe to try. My husband can't really cook, but he is really missing his food. We haven't found a restraunt here.

K-1 Visa Journey

03/10/2007 - Sent I-129F to NSC

06/05/2007 - Approved

06/25/2007 - NVC Case Number received

07/05/2007 - Fiance received Packets 3 and 4

09/06/2007 - INTERVIEW----- APPROVED

09/13/2007 - VISA IN HAND

09/14/2007 - POE AT JFK

10/26/2007 - Wedding

01/17/2008 - Email from CRIS that I-129 was approved!

AOS Journey

10/28/2007 - AOS mailed to Chicago via Federal Express

10/29/2007 - AOS received at Chicago

11/05/2007 - NOA for I-131, I-485, I-765

12/28/2007 - Biometrics

12/29/2007 - Case appeared on USCIS website

12/31/2007 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AP Approved

01/10/2008 - AP Received in mail

01/12/2008 - EAD Card Recieved in mail

07/24/2008 - AOS Interview

07/30/2008 -Card Production Ordered

08/11/2008 - GREEN CARD RECIEVED

04/30/2010 - ROC mailed to CA via USPS Express Mail

08/10/2010 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AOS Approved

04/24/2011 - Mailed N-400

05/12/2011 - Received I-797C

06/08/2011 - Biometrics

07/25/2011 - N-400 Interview

07/25/2011 - Oath Ceremony

MY HUSBAND IS A US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hey all, I have a recipe for Ghanaian style french fries and ketchup...

Hot Tomato Sauce (Ketchup)

In a blender, blend:

1 tomato chopped

1 habanero pepper (medium sized)

After blending chop up 2-3 more tomatoes. Add this mixture to the already blended tomato/pepper mixture. Add 1/4 white onion, chopped to this mixture and blend for 15-20 seconds until everything has pureed together but is still kind of chunky. At this point I usually add a bit of salt, to taste.

Fried Yam (Fries)

For this you will need Ghana or Colombian Yam (NOT American sweet potatoes), which you can find in any international market. If you absolutely can't find, then use regular potatoes.

Peel the yam and cut into 1/2 moon shapes about 2-3 inches across. Toss cut pieces of yam w/ a little bit of water w/ salt mixed in (not too much salt though!). Let them sit for 5-10 minutes and then drain. Meanwhile, heat about 1/4-1/2 inch of olive oil in a skillet. When hot fry yam in batches, one layer deep. They are ready when they turn golden brown. Drain them on papertowel.

Serve w/ tomato sauce and some chopped iceberg lettuce. Yummy! :thumbs:

Edited by Nana_Afia_B

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Hey all, I have a recipe for Ghanaian style french fries and ketchup...

Hot Tomato Sauce (Ketchup)

In a blender, blend:

1 tomato chopped

1 habanero pepper (medium sized)

After blending chop up 2-3 more tomatoes. Add this mixture to the already blended tomato/pepper mixture. Add 1/4 white onion, chopped to this mixture and blend for 15-20 seconds until everything has pureed together but is still kind of chunky. At this point I usually add a bit of salt, to taste.

Fried Yam (Fries)

For this you will need Ghana or Colombian Yam (NOT American sweet potatoes), which you can find in any international market. If you absolutely can't find, then use regular potatoes.

Peel the yam and cut into 1/2 moon shapes about 2-3 inches across. Toss cut pieces of yam w/ a little bit of water w/ salt mixed in (not too much salt though!). Let them sit for 5-10 minutes and then drain. Meanwhile, heat about 1/4-1/2 inch of olive oil in a skillet. When hot fry yam in batches, one layer deep. They are ready when they turn golden brown. Drain them on papertowel.

Serve w/ tomato sauce and some chopped iceberg lettuce. Yummy! :thumbs:

I've never had that, but it sounds good. Thanks for the recipe.

Is it true that if you take the seeds out of the hot peppers it reduces the fire?

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.