• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Wow, I forgot that this thread existed.

Anyone got any new recipes to share?

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

ZEENUSAH... I LOVE YOU!!! GURL, WHILE ME AND MY MAN WERE DATING I WAS BLUFFING UP A STORM THAT I AM THE BEST GHANIAN COOK AND THAT WHEN HE IS HERE HE WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT MY GHANIAN DISHES. WELL, HE IS HERE NOW AND I MAKE OTHER STUFF LIKE STEW, JOLOF RICE, SPINACH STEW, ETC. BUT, I MADE "LIGHT SOUP" THE OTHER DAY AND HE WAS LIKE "IT'S OKAY" SO NOW I WANT TO TRY THIS PEANUT BUTTER SOUP AND I COME ON TO VJ AND HERE YOU HAVE THE RECIPE.......YOU ARE THE BEST!!! I AM GONNA FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS FROM WORD FOR WORD. NOW I CAN'T WAIT TO GO BUY THE STUFF AND MAKE IT TONIGHT AS SOON AS I GET OFF FROM WORK!!!

So, being that there has been talk of food and recipes and whatnot I decided we should probably have a central place to share what we know. So come and share :)

I guess I will start :P

Here are 2 Ghanaian recipes that I have shared with others on VJ:

(1) Rice balls with peanut butter soup

• Unsalted, unsalted creamy peanut butter (organic is the best)
  • water
  • chicken, lamb, fish (either smoked or fried), beef, goat or a combination
  • tomato (medium chopped)
  • onion (medium chopped)
  • corn oil (enough for stir frying)
  • spinach or green beans (optional)
  • salt, black pepper to taste
In one pot stir fry onions. Add whatever meat you like and tomatoes and cover. Leave over medium-low heat.

In another pot mix one part peanut butter with about 2 parts water. You don't really need to measure because you can just eyeball it. All you really want to do is add enough water so that the peanut butter becomes watery. Don't worry about adding too much water because it will just evaporate off. If you are using organic peanut butter make sure to mix the oil and peanut butter so that it is creamy before dissolving in the water. Place on high heat while stirring (or else the peanut butter will stick). When it starts steaming then lower heat to medium and continue the stirring until it starts boiling. Leave to boil for about 20 minutes on medium heat while stirring occasionally. You should start to see some of the oil from the peanut butter drift to the top.

Empty the peanut butter mixture into the pit with the meat. Stir, add spinach or green beans, cover and leave to simmer in meat sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. I also add red pepper flakes to add a little kick to it.

For the rice: cook as you normally would. When it gets to the point when you would normally take it off the fire, start stiring it to see if it becomes sticky. If not, add a little bit of water and stir. When it is relatively stick spoon about a cup and a half into a bowl you have wetted with water (a small mixing bowl works well) and just roll the rice around until it becomes a ball.

What I would normally do is make the soup and as it is simmering I make the rice. For the soup I tend to like it thick so I leave it on the stove for some time, others like it lighter. You can add water to make the consistency lighter if you like.

(2) Plantain with bean stew

• black eyed beans (about 1 1/2 - 2 cups)
  • palm oil (a lot of Chinese, Indian and African stores sell it. Most places I have seen have it imported from Ghana)
  • onion (medium chopped)
  • tomato (one can diced)
  • meat (I normally use fried fish and chicken but you can use whatever you want)
  • baking soda (1/2 tbsp)
  • water (1/2 cup)
  • salt, black pepper, curry powder
For the stew: stir fry onions in palm oil. Stir in tomatoes and add meat salt, pepper and curry powder. Let it simmer for a about 3-4 minutes. Wash beans (I know it says to soak but I never do because then you get more of a paste than a stew). Add water, beans and baking soda to meat mixture. Let it simmer on medium-ow heat for about 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If it gets too thick you may need to add a little more water. When the beans start to get soft but not smushed you know it is ready. Some people like the beans a little firmer so you can judge how soft you want the beans.

For the plantians: you can either boil them or fry them, it does not really matter, just whatever you fancy. I tend to prefer boiled to fried though. You can also eat the stew over boiled rice or yams (boiled or fried). Also, this kind of stew is also very popular when eaten with Gari (Dried cassava) -- popularly known as gari and beans. It comes in baggies at most African food stoes and all you need to do is leave it to soak in some water and you eat it like couscous.

NB: you can use the same recipe for bean stew to make spinach stew which can also be eaten with plantains or over boiled rice. Just cook the meat longer (about 20 minutes), add a small can of tomato paste, add the spinach and only use 1/2 tsp of baking soda. Bean stew tends to be made more with palm oil while spinach stew can be made with palm/corn/canola/olive oil as well.

TIME LINE

09/2007 - Gathered all documents for I-129F petition.

11/09/2007 - Sent I-129F

11/21/2007 - Package sent back to me( I forgot to sign one of my G-325A forms) I cried my eyes out but sent it next day delivery back to USCIS.

11/27/2007 - Received NOA1

02/13/2008 - Received NOA2

02/20/2008 - Package left NVC

02/22/2008 - Case uploaded into Ghana consulate data system

04/08/2008 - Packet 3 & 4 sent to fiance

04/16/2008 - Packet 3 & 4 received by fiance

06/24/2008 - Interview date (God blessings on this day)

06/24/2008 - DENIED visa at interview

06/25/2008 - APPROVED visa at 2nd interview with senior consulate

06/27/2008 - Picked up VISA

07/03/2008 - Fiance entered USA at JFK POE & Got EAD Stamp in passport

07/18/2008 - Married

08/07/2008 - Mailed AOS application

Check out pics K&A pics from Ghana: http://missymoet.hi5.com

Timeline
About Banku...when my husband and I make it here's our mixture...

3-4 days prior:

Take one bag of cornmeal (like the size of a bag of all-purpose flour) and mix with water in a large stew pot. consistency should be about like, mush or oatmeal. Mix the two together cover the pot and put in a cool, dark place to ferment for 3-4 days.

When we do it this way, we divide the fermented cornmeal into batches and put each batch into a plastic, grocery bag (about 4-5 cups each bag). This way, we can freeze what we won't immediately use. From one bag of cornmeal, you should get about 4-5 individual batches. Freeze the extras and use only one.

The mixture:

Take Cornmeal and put in blender and mix w/ water until liquid (not too runny)! Pour this into a separate bowl. Then you will need fresh cassava (Yuca/Blanca Cassava). Peel and chop the cassava and put into the blender. Add water and blend until liquid. The ratio of cassava liquid to cornmeal liquid is about 40(cassava):60(cornmeal). Season the mixture with salt to taste.

To actually make, you will need to continually stir and taste the mixture. Adding water as it gets thick. It's really hard to explain this step...The best way to learn is to have someone show/help you. I hope the mixture helps you get started!

THANK YOU SOO MUCH FOR THE BANKU RECIPE... I WILL BE MAKING THAT NEXT! CAN'T WAIT!!!

TIME LINE

11/09/2007 - Sent I-129F

11/21/2007 - Package sent back to me( I forgot to sign one of my G-325A forms) I cried my eyes out but sent it next day delivery back to USCIS.

07/18/2008 - Married

Timeline

" CORNER BEEF STEW "

My recipe is very simple...if you already know how to make Ghana stew then all your doing is adding Corner Beef that is in the can to the stew.

Recipe For The Stew

Onions (depends on the size of the stew but usually 1 medium)

Tomatoes ( I use lots so may two medium but depends on size of stew ur making)

Tomato Past or Tomato Sauce ( I use either or, depending if I did not use alot of tomatoes and I use paste if I want it thicker)

Fresh red pepper ( love pepper so I use like three but please use one)

Carrots

Olive oil

Garlic or Garlic powder

Ginger

Corner Beef ( I use Libbys) some people use the Ghana corner beef

First I will heat the pot with some olive oil and not too much

I will then have diced onions and put in the pot and let it cook on (medium heat)

When the onions look like they are browning I will then add the diced fresh tomatoes, a pinch of diced garlic or you can use the garlic powder, and a little diced and I mean little ginger all at the same time cuz I have no patience, and let it cook until it starts to get a creamy texture and the tomatoes are soft Or NOTE: Some people just blend the fresh tomatoes, garlic, pepper and ginger in a blender and then pour into the pot with the onions and olive oil that is already browning. This saves time I guess.

So when the mixture is looking creamy, or forming into a stew (you know how a stew texture is) you can add some of your favorite seasonings but not too much like I use Adobo All Purpose seasoning and Sasoon Seasoning alot. So you just add a little seasoning for a spicy flavor to the stew and if you like you can add tomato sauce or tomatoe paste depending on the size of the stew and let everything just simmer in the pot...on medium heat, you are close to being done if you see oil form in the stew and the stew is looking more creamy, and I like mines thick so I let the stew boil for a while and will then taste the stew if it taste good then I add the Corner Beef and then I will cut up carrots and add them too and lower the heat on the stove and use low heat and then let simmer for like 5 to 15 minutes and then your stew is made....remember by the time you are adding the corner beef and carrots that the stew is basically about done...your just adding the final ingredients.

TIME LINE

11/09/2007 - Sent I-129F

07/18/2008 - Married

Timeline

Question... For the meat for the peanut butter soup... when my mom used to make it. I use to see that she will put cow feet and goat meat in the oven for some time and it will be more crunchy and then add them in with the other meats that is already in the pot....

Should I do that for my meat or just throw all the meat... I will be using goat meat and cow feet and maybe some smoked turkey as my combination of meats for the peanut butter soup. Can I just put them all in the pot after the I fry the onions?

Anything I can do to help :D

TIME LINE

11/09/2007 - Sent I-129F

07/18/2008 - Married

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Question... For the meat for the peanut butter soup... when my mom used to make it. I use to see that she will put cow feet and goat meat in the oven for some time and it will be more crunchy and then add them in with the other meats that is already in the pot....

Should I do that for my meat or just throw all the meat... I will be using goat meat and cow feet and maybe some smoked turkey as my combination of meats for the peanut butter soup. Can I just put them all in the pot after the I fry the onions?

Anything I can do to help :D

Make it anyway you want :thumbs:

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline
Every time I hear Kenkey, I remeber this little old lady walking pass my office in the Osu, North Labone area, you could hear her echos coming from far "KeeenKeeeey, keeenkeeeey" over and over again. When her voice would get close I would always run out side. Because, I knew the guying with the cooler was on her heals selling my favorite "fan-choco" in the brown and yellow bag.

Now I'm about to get upset,,, I'm having fan-choco witdrawls.

Mmmmm....... Fan milk!!!!!!

and Tampico!!!! So gooooood :thumbs: (not the ones they sell here...doesnt taste the same)

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Timeline
Ok, I didn't want to say this in my first post, but I brought the milk back in my luggage too!!! :yes: I thought that was strange of me, but I guess I was not the only one, lol.

dont be ashamed. :no: I've done it too :) I have even requested it when others travel :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I think you're thinking of Kontomire. Waakye is just black eyed peas with tomato sauce. but you cook them seperately and the black eyed peas end up being really dry looking when done. you eat them w/ the tomato sauce

I love spinach Stew!!!! :thumbs:

okay, I don't have any Ghanaian recipes and after reading this it brought back soo many memories of the different aromas and flavors. Now I'm going to cry...okay, I'm tearing already.

Moving on. I really liked the jallof rice I had, but the recipes that I've found don't have the seasonings and spices I remember. So does any one know the name of the "spices" used in authentic jallof rice. I saw a jar of it at the airport novelty store (in ghana), but the clerk wasn't available, so I could not purchase it.

And...does anyone know how to make "lyte/lite" soup? My mother in law made some and I liked about ate the whole bowl full :huh:

If y'all can give some insight, UNO thanks you in advance (F)

You really don't need any fancy spices. Just the basics work just fine and taste good to me. Here are the basics that go in just about everything:

tomato

tomato paste

onion

garlic

all season (can be adobo or maggi cubes)

hot pepper powder

oil (can be vegetable, we use olive for health reasons)

rice

beyond that you can add anything that seems like it would taste good, e.g.:

chives

carrots

mackeral

chicken

beef

broccoli

chicken broth

peas

spagetti

ginger

Basically fry the onions first, then add the garlic, then tomatoes, then tomato paste, then seasonings, then whatever meat and additional veggies. Then add the rice and water (or chicken broth), stir and let it sit for 30min to an hour depending on what type of rice and how much you are cooking. You may also want to add some of the veggies late if you think that they are gong to overcook if they are in there for the entire time the rice is cooking.

I didn't put any measurements because we don't normally measure. You can kinda just eyeball it. If you want more detailed, I'll try to count the next time that we cook it.

Hope that helps!

Editing because I forgot that you asked about lite soup. This can be made multiple ways, but is basically just like spicy chicken soup. It's the same ingredients above except that you add more water and no rice.

You are so right about the basics!!! :thumbs:

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

I know this thread is old but I felt the need to resurrect it. :rofl:

My honey can't wait to get here and eat American food. In his words..."I know I will be fat in America. It is American way". Not exactly sure how I feel about that though :lol: When I was visiting him, he showed me a few dishes (stew, bitter leaf, garri (I think that's how it's spelled) and foofoo) while I showed him how to fry chicken "our" way...by flouring it first. I would love to surprise him when he gets here by making his favorite Egusi Soup. He also likes these little donut things, I forgot the name of them but they remind me of plain Munchkins.

Here's a recipe for Egusi Soup from a Nigerian friend of mine (she's not good with exact measurements which I find to be pretty much the same everywhere...even I "just make food" rather than measure it out)

Egusi- Melon seed

Dried fish

Palm oil

Stock- Knorr

Beef

Vegetable leaf- Ugu or spinach

Dry African pepper

Cooking instruction

Boil beef with knorr, onions, water, salt, after 10 to 15 minutes, add the dried fish. Once cooked get a dry pot, add palm oil to the empty pot, then add the dry melon keeping stirring, then add the cooked stock of beef and dried fish etc to it and keep stirring, allow 5-10 minutes then add salt, knorr and finally the spinach or Ugu leaves and you are ready to go. DO NOT OVER COOK THE LEAF.

tumblr_l2zffoq44C1qc5x0yo1_400.jpg

My honey is NIGERIAN and I'm AMERICAN

K1 Journey

07/27/10 Mailed Petition

07/28/10 Petition received at VSC then forwarded to Lewisville, TX (received there 7/29/10)

08/02/10 NOA1 Notice date

08/06/10 Touched

08/07/10 Received NOA1 in mail

08/10/10 Touched

10/03/10 Touched

01/31/11 I-129F Petition APPROVED!!!

02/03/11 Received hard copy of NOA2 (although the envelope is stamped Feb 2...so only one day to get to me :) )

02/07/11 Arrived at NVC

02/07/11 MADE APPOINTMENTS FOR MEDICAL AND INTERVIEW. (Will post actual dates after they occur :) )

02/08/11 Left NVC

02/17/11 Medical

03/01/11 Interview (FH is in AP)

04/12/11 AP COMPLETED!!

04/13/11 FH notified to come to the embassy with his passport!

04/26/11 FH received Visa

04/29/11 FH Arrived in the US!!! JFK POE

06/08/11 MARRIED!

Timeline

I do have some recipes but I also have a site for Ghanaian and Nigerian recipes. I hope this helps. http://www.ghanaianrecipes.com/general/ If you sign up, they will send you recipes for free in your email. Here is one for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Palaver Chicken Recipe

Ingredients

900g fresh spinach

350ml chicken stock

900g chicken breast, cubed

1 large spring onion, minced

salt and black pepper to taste

120ml groundnut oil

2 medium onions, thinly sliced

3 ripe medium tomatoes, chopped

2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped

2 green birds-eye chillies, chopped

1 large can red kidney beans

Palaver Chicken Preparation:

Method:

Wash the spinach and tear into bite-sized pieces then cook in the chicken stock until tender. Remove from the stock and refresh with cold water then set aside (reserve the stock). Add the chicken, spring onion to a saucepan. Season with salt and pepper then cover with water, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Once done, remove from the pan and set aside.

Fry the onion, tomatoes, eggs and chilli in oil for five minutes then add the beans, chicken, spinach and 240ml of the chicken stock. Adjust the seasoning and simmer the ingredients for 45 minutes.

Serve hot over rice or with plantain and yam mash.

TIMELINE

FEBRUARY 27,2009 - Meet

MARCH 27,2009 - Flew to Ghana to meet Evans and his family

APRIL 8,2009 - Returned to USA

FEBRUARY 10,2010 - I-129F sent to Vermont

FEBRUARY 16,2010 - Received NOA 1 ( Hard Copy)

FEBRUARY 16,2010 - touched

NONE- RFE received

MAY 21,2010 - Touched

MAY 21,2010 - NOA2 received (EMAIL)

MAY 26,2010 - NOA 2 received hard copy

MAY 26,2010 - NVC received

June 10,2010 - NVC sent to Embassy of Ghana

June 14,2010 - EMBASSY received (got an e-mail after sending them an e-mail)

June 23rd - July 2nd - Going to Ghana

July 28,2010 - Packet 3 & 4

November 9,2010 - Medicals

November 15,2010 - Vaccinations (4 shots. the next 2 shots are on the 14th)

December 21,2010 - Interview

March 31,2011 - 2nd Interview

?? - Visa pick-up date

?? - EVANS arrival

?? - Apply for SSN

?? - Get married

?? - Start AOS process

event.png

event.png

event.png

GOD BLESS US ALL AND KEEP US SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.