Zee Bee

Recipes

73 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
I am scheduled to travel to Ghana in February, and all I can think about is bringing home Fan-Choco and Digestive biscuits (a case of the 2 packs) from Makola Market. Ohh yeah, my Wedding Dress is being made by Evelyn in Accra. :thumbs:

Please give Bassi a kiss for me. :crying:

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
I am scheduled to travel to Ghana in February, and all I can think about is bringing home Fan-Choco and Digestive biscuits (a case of the 2 packs) from Makola Market. Ohh yeah, my Wedding Dress is being made by Evelyn in Accra. :thumbs:

Oooh Zainab

You have been sulking :unsure: / crying :crying: for about three days now. If you keep it up you're going to make me cry. :cry:

I know,,,, I know the in-betweens :ph34r: (NVC to the embassy giving a date) is an extremely difficult time period similar to being in limbo :clock: .

Your mood will change as soon as you guys are assigned an interview date :thumbs: ; you will be able to breathe again :whistle: , normalize :innocent: and become your cheerful :dancing: self again.

I am praying everyday for your interview date.

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

8/17 In line for Interview

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Every time I hear Kenkey, I remeber this little old lady walking pass my office in the Osu, North Labone area, you could hear her echos coming from far "KeeenKeeeey, keeenkeeeey" over and over again. When her voice would get close I would always run out side. Because, I knew the guying with the cooler was on her heals selling my favorite "fan-choco" in the brown and yellow bag.

Now I'm about to get upset,,, I'm having fan-choco witdrawls.

oh you make me want some milk. i love fan milk!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the chocolate one, yes the one in the brown and yellow bag. Someone needs to sell it here, I love it soooo much. :thumbs::thumbs:

I carry a case in my luggage when I return from Africa. The pitiful thing is the first few weeks I eat them like crazy, but, when I get down to the last few, I act like there gold bullion.

Ok, I didn't want to say this in my first post, but I brought the milk back in my luggage too!!! :yes: I thought that was strange of me, but I guess I was not the only one, lol.

Timeline

Oooh Zainab

You have been sulking :unsure: / crying :crying: for about three days now. If you keep it up you're going to make me cry. :cry:

I know,,,, I know the in-betweens :ph34r: (NVC to the embassy giving a date) is an extremely difficult time period similar to being in limbo :clock: .

Your mood will change as soon as you guys are assigned an interview date :thumbs: ; you will be able to breathe again :whistle: , normalize :innocent: and become your cheerful :dancing: self again.

Thank you. :blush:

AOS

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Oooh Zainab

Thank you. :blush:

Take heart in knowing that they are now scheduling interviews 4 months out instead of the BS 5 months we had to wait <_<

I am itching to put your interview date on the ever growing list.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Please stay encouraged. Things can't stay the same always! :D

Does anyone know a good recipe for Waakye with tomato sauce? These are the black eyed peas, cooked with some sort of special leaf. Is there a substitute here in the States for that. My husband loves this dish and I would like to make it for him.

Timeline
Please stay encouraged. Things can't stay the same always! :D

Does anyone know a good recipe for Waakye with tomato sauce? These are the black eyed peas, cooked with some sort of special leaf. Is there a substitute here in the States for that. My husband loves this dish and I would like to make it for him.

Can you use spinach for that?

Or am I thinking of something else?

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I think you're thinking of Kontomire. Waakye is just black eyed peas with tomato sauce. but you cook them seperately and the black eyed peas end up being really dry looking when done. you eat them w/ the tomato sauce

Timeline
I think you're thinking of Kontomire. Waakye is just black eyed peas with tomato sauce. but you cook them seperately and the black eyed peas end up being really dry looking when done. you eat them w/ the tomato sauce

My mother in law calls beans and rice wakye. I wonder if the word can be used for different dishes.

AOS

Timeline

My mother in law calls beans and rice wakye. I wonder if the word can be used for different dishes.

I had another idea. Could it be that you sort of steam cook the peas in banana leaves then add it to the basic tomato sauce? I really hope you find the recipe. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

AOS

Timeline
okay, I don't have any Ghanaian recipes and after reading this it brought back soo many memories of the different aromas and flavors. Now I'm going to cry...okay, I'm tearing already.

Moving on. I really liked the jallof rice I had, but the recipes that I've found don't have the seasonings and spices I remember. So does any one know the name of the "spices" used in authentic jallof rice. I saw a jar of it at the airport novelty store (in ghana), but the clerk wasn't available, so I could not purchase it.

And...does anyone know how to make "lyte/lite" soup? My mother in law made some and I liked about ate the whole bowl full :huh:

If y'all can give some insight, UNO thanks you in advance (F)

You really don't need any fancy spices. Just the basics work just fine and taste good to me. Here are the basics that go in just about everything:

tomato

tomato paste

onion

garlic

all season (can be adobo or maggi cubes)

hot pepper powder

oil (can be vegetable, we use olive for health reasons)

rice

beyond that you can add anything that seems like it would taste good, e.g.:

chives

carrots

mackeral

chicken

beef

broccoli

chicken broth

peas

spagetti

ginger

Basically fry the onions first, then add the garlic, then tomatoes, then tomato paste, then seasonings, then whatever meat and additional veggies. Then add the rice and water (or chicken broth), stir and let it sit for 30min to an hour depending on what type of rice and how much you are cooking. You may also want to add some of the veggies late if you think that they are gong to overcook if they are in there for the entire time the rice is cooking.

I didn't put any measurements because we don't normally measure. You can kinda just eyeball it. If you want more detailed, I'll try to count the next time that we cook it.

Hope that helps!

Editing because I forgot that you asked about lite soup. This can be made multiple ways, but is basically just like spicy chicken soup. It's the same ingredients above except that you add more water and no rice.

Edited by Kanyiri

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Ahem...I have yet to get kenkey right.

Then I wlll post my triumph :P

Anyone have any receipes to share....they don't have to be African :)

Click for full timeline

Timeline
All of this talk about food is making my stomach rumble. I love kenkey. Are you getting better at making it?

I am. I need to try again this weekend and get it right with measurements so that I can post it here.

I feel like I am in Chemistry lab all over again :wacko:

Click for full timeline

Timeline
All of this talk about food is making my stomach rumble. I love kenkey. Are you getting better at making it?

I am. I need to try again this weekend and get it right with measurements so that I can post it here.

I feel like I am in Chemistry lab all over again :wacko:

Well, you're as close as we have to a resident scientist, so keep at it sis! We're all waiting to show off for our SOs.

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.