Zee Bee

Recipes

73 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
I have another variation of the basic stew, from which you can make a lot of different Ghanaian dishes. (many Gh dishes start w/ the trinity - oil, onions, tomato and hot peppers)

Thanks alot. It's nice to have a basic and for this you can do whatever you want. For people who are comfortable in the kitchen they can make any kind of stew from this recipe. Thanks alot. We're waiting for Zee's mom for a kenkey recipe. If you have one, please share it.

I keep forgetting to ask :bonk:

Maybe I'll send her a note and adjust the spelling of my name! :whistle:

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Hey everybody, I don't have a recipe for Kenkey. We buy it from a local Nigerian market. I've heard it takes twice as long as Banku to make!

It does but oh so worth it.

Zainab, I am going to get that recipe.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline
Hey everybody, I don't have a recipe for Kenkey. We buy it from a local Nigerian market. I've heard it takes twice as long as Banku to make!

It does but oh so worth it.

Zainab, I am going to get that recipe.

Alright girl! I don't have an interview date yet, so you have time! :lol:

AOS

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Timeline

Hey ya'll. I found a site called congocookbook.com

Great site with african recipes and also recommends some cookbooks and resources.

AOS

Timeline

I got my kenkey recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to try it out this weekend so that I can get some solid measurements. Somehow, I don't think my mom's description of "add water until it looks like Banku" is going to fly with everyone :lol:

Click for full timeline

Timeline
I got my kenkey recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to try it out this weekend so that I can get some solid measurements. Somehow, I don't think my mom's description of "add water until it looks like Banku" is going to fly with everyone :lol:

Whoo Hooo!!

How far away do you live? I'll be there sometime Saturday night! :lol:

the simple pleasures in life......

AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Every time I hear Kenkey, I remeber this little old lady walking pass my office in the Osu, North Labone area, you could hear her echos coming from far "KeeenKeeeey, keeenkeeeey" over and over again. When her voice would get close I would always run out side. Because, I knew the guying with the cooler was on her heals selling my favorite "fan-choco" in the brown and yellow bag.

Now I'm about to get upset,,, I'm having fan-choco witdrawls.

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

8/17 In line for Interview

Filed: Other Timeline

okay, I don't have any Ghanaian recipes and after reading this it brought back soo many memories of the different aromas and flavors. Now I'm going to cry...okay, I'm tearing already.

Moving on. I really liked the jallof rice I had, but the recipes that I've found don't have the seasonings and spices I remember. So does any one know the name of the "spices" used in authentic jallof rice. I saw a jar of it at the airport novelty store (in ghana), but the clerk wasn't available, so I could not purchase it.

And...does anyone know how to make "lyte/lite" soup? My mother in law made some and I liked about ate the whole bowl full :huh:

If y'all can give some insight, UNO thanks you in advance (F)

I am all that the Potter created me to be.

I celebrate, liberate and dedicate my life to His Glory.

I Am Uno!

Timeline
okay, I don't have any Ghanaian recipes and after reading this it brought back soo many memories of the different aromas and flavors. Now I'm going to cry...okay, I'm tearing already.

Moving on. I really liked the jallof rice I had, but the recipes that I've found don't have the seasonings and spices I remember. So does any one know the name of the "spices" used in authentic jallof rice. I saw a jar of it at the airport novelty store (in ghana), but the clerk wasn't available, so I could not purchase it.

And...does anyone know how to make "lyte/lite" soup? My mother in law made some and I liked about ate the whole bowl full :huh:

Well, I think that jollof rice depends on where you go. I make it 2 different ways and I can post the recipes later. As for the spices, I just experiment with whatever I have. I know that my mom puts some cardamom and cinnamon sticks. Sometimes she'll put just a touch of ginger. I like to put curry powder.

Lite soup, yum. I'm not really a big fan of soup. Did your mother-in0law make it with fish or meat? I know that making it with smoked fish (the way I prefer it) gives it a very distinct taste.

Click for full timeline

Filed: Other Timeline

Well, I think that jollof rice depends on where you go. I make it 2 different ways and I can post the recipes later. As for the spices, I just experiment with whatever I have. I know that my mom puts some cardamom and cinnamon sticks. Sometimes she'll put just a touch of ginger. I like to put curry powder.

Lite soup, yum. I'm not really a big fan of soup. Did your mother-in0law make it with fish or meat? I know that making it with smoked fish (the way I prefer it) gives it a very distinct taste.

Funny you should ask, I asked her what type of fish did she use, she told me "fresh fish ;) ."

I'm like "okaaayyy" :blush: . What "type" of fresh fish :blink: ? She proceeded to tell me "the kind I caught this morning silly gurl :o !"

I said okay, and ate it :wacko: .

I am all that the Potter created me to be.

I celebrate, liberate and dedicate my life to His Glory.

I Am Uno!

Timeline

Funny you should ask, I asked her what type of fish did she use, she told me "fresh fish ;) ."

I'm like "okaaayyy" :blush: . What "type" of fresh fish :blink: ? She proceeded to tell me "the kind I caught this morning silly gurl :o !"

I said okay, and ate it :wacko: .

:lol:

Click for full timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi all,

I just found this forum so I'd like to contribute as I am going to use recipes from here. When I was in Lagos last time, my sister-in-law taught me how to make Sallad and Fried Rice & Chicken. Here are the recipes.

Fried Rice & Chicken (feeds about 6 to 10)

1 whole chicken, cut up

6 c. rice

about 3 cups vegetable oil

2 red medium red onions, chopped medium

4 large carrots, peeled

1 can peas

1 can corn

2-3 handsful fresh green beans

1-2 tablespoons curry (more curry makes your chicken more flavorful)

1 tablespoon thyme

2 maggi cubes (the ones from African stores are better than the ones in the supermarket)

2 packets Benny Chicken (African store) or if you can't find it, use 2-3 more chicken flavored maggi cubes

salt to taste

red pepper to taste

Wash and boil chicken until half done. In pot with chicken, place 2 maggi cubes, salt, red pepper, thyme and curry, bring to a boil over high heat then lower to medium heat, adding Benny Chicken seasoning (or additional maggi) now. Let cook until halfway done, maybe 30 minutes or so. While meat is cooking, drain corn and peas and chop carrots and green beans. When meat is cooked, take from pot, and measure your water. Put the rice in the pot, and pour in your chicken stock with enough additional water to make 12 cups. Bring to boil over high heat, then turn down flame to low, cover and cook about 10 minutes. While rice is cooking, heat oil in skillet and fry your chicken until golden brown (don't flour it!). If rice is halfway done (water level reduced, but not fluffy), then put corn, peas, carrots, and green beans on top of rice. Pour about 1 cup to 1 1/2 cupshot oil on top of vegetables and rice (this "fries" the rice) and cook until rice is done. Mix vegetables into rice until well blended, and serve with fried chicken.

Sallad (feeds 6 to 10)

1 large cabbage, minus the dark green leaves

1/8 cup salt

1 large bowl with COLD water

6 boiled eggs

2-3 carrots, peeled

1 large cucumber, peeled if you like, otherwise wash well to remove wax

Miracle Whip or mayo to taste

Cut cabbage in half and slice both halves with sharp knife on diagonal as finely as you can. You want it to look shredded, but need long strips. Rinse cabbage, then soak in large bowl of ice cold water, or as cold as you can get it with salt. (This flavors the cabbage.) While soaking cabbage, grate carrots, finely cube cucumber and chop eggs. Drain cabbage and add carrots and cucumber. Add Miracle Whip or mayo and stir until a creamy consistency is reached, then fold in eggs. If you serve this with fried rice and chicken, you will win over any Nigerian, or person who loves Nigerian food!

The frst time I made this meal in the states, I cooked 10 cups of rice and invited a Nigerian friend over. It passed her inspection - and she said so to my husband!

Peggy

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Every time I hear Kenkey, I remeber this little old lady walking pass my office in the Osu, North Labone area, you could hear her echos coming from far "KeeenKeeeey, keeenkeeeey" over and over again. When her voice would get close I would always run out side. Because, I knew the guying with the cooler was on her heals selling my favorite "fan-choco" in the brown and yellow bag.

oh you make me want some milk. i love fan milk!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the chocolate one, yes the one in the brown and yellow bag. Someone needs to sell it here, I love it soooo much. :thumbs::thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

oh you make me want some milk. i love fan milk!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the chocolate one, yes the one in the brown and yellow bag. Someone needs to sell it here, I love it soooo much. :thumbs::thumbs:

I carry a case in my luggage when I return from Africa. The pitiful thing is the first few weeks I eat them like crazy, but, when I get down to the last few, I act like there gold bullion.

I am scheduled to travel to Ghana in February, and all I can think about is bringing home Fan-Choco and Digestive biscuits (a case of the 2 packs) from Makola Market. Ohh yeah, my Wedding Dress is being made by Evelyn in Accra. :thumbs:

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

8/17 In line for Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.