doodlebugg

The Kite Runner

25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Has anyone else read The Kite Runner? I'm wondering how much of it was based on fact. Really disturbing but amazing book.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't think much of it was. The author is Afghani and moved to America when he was young, but as far as the parts in Afghanistan they are based on stories he was told by others, but not one story inparticular, more like several stories that he has taken and made into one.

I do agree it's an amazing book!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

a good book..i have not seen the film..would like too

Edited by almaty

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Has anyone else read The Kite Runner? I'm wondering how much of it was based on fact. Really disturbing but amazing book.

I haven't seen the movie yet. It's on my list.

I read the book and thought it was a great book.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

bleh. i was so not impressed. i'm no lit. major, but the writing just came off very amateurish and full of boring cliches to me. it was very predictable, melodramatic, and the climactic part was a rip-off of house of sand and fog. the widespread appeal is based far more on the novelty and exoticness of the author's birthplace and story setting than the quality of the writing.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have to disagree with you tmgh. This was one of the most moving books I have ever read. It is on my favorites list. I was talking with my co-teacher and he was telling me it's his wife's favorite book too. He said he tried to read it and just couldn't get into it -- that it was too much of a character study for him.

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

loved the book, loved the movie.

I dont think every book has to be a literary masterpiece to have merit. This was a very moving look into another culture and another world. who cares if it wasnt written by james joyce? hardly anyone can get through Ulysses anyway :)

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

i've always figured anyone who can get through ulysses must be a masochist sara :)

and yr absolutely right that not every book has to be a literary masterpiece to have merit. i'm sure anyone who has posted here would regard some of my favorite readings in the same light that i regard kite runner. (i really liked house of sand and fog, and the last half of that book is a cliched and predictable mess)

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

well and I wont pretend to have read all of Ulysses, I figure the first couple of chapters were representative of the book as a whole LOL and thats about all I could slog through.

did you see the movie of house of sand and fog? I really liked that book too but I never saw the movie. I heard it was really good but that was from someone who didnt read it...

just curious

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Try reading " A Thousand Splendid Suns"...if you liked Kite Runner,....By the same Author,..I enjoyed both immensely!!

"When a man is educated, an individual is educated; when a woman is educated, a family and a country are educated."

— Mahatma Gandhi

The timeline... (Frankfurt) for the kids visas

10/22/2007 Filed I-130 x 2 in person + paid 710 USD (355 each )

10/22/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 x 2

10/22/2007 Received the document checklist and FRN (case) numbers

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved, but I didn't know. I was away at the time, didn't get confirmation letters til I got back from the states.

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives in tha mail. According to the date received stamp on back of envelope at my post box.

Will now wait til hubby is back from Iraq to fax in checklist readiness, even though, I have been ready since day of lodging I-130's. all except medical.

02/18/2008 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate.

02/25/2008 Medicals completed.

02/25/2008 Appt letters in mail for appt on March 7th. Cant go due to prior military commitments. Emailed consulate and received an amended appt date of March 12th 2008.

03/12/2008 Visa interview - APPROVED x 2

03/27/2008 Visa's finally generated. I emailed the consulate. they apologised for the delay. They forgot to issue the visas after approval.

03/31/2008 Received visas

04/26/2008 Flying out of Frankfurt to next duty station on orders.

Try reading " A Thousand Splendid Suns"...if you liked Kite Runner,....By the same Author,..I enjoyed both immensely!!

thanks sister jodee

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

It was a very good book. My guess would be that it was a good mix of fiction and non-fiction. From what I have heard from Afghans directly is that the tribal tensions are still significant meaning quite a bit of your social status depends on which tribe you're from.

I can as well recommend 'A Thousand Splendid Suns', Khaled Hosseini's second book. I found it very intriguing yet shocking. Overall Hosseini's books have led me to read more about Afghanistan in general.

In every difficulty lies an island of opportunity.