doodlebugg

The Kite Runner

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I read it and loved it, but it was very sad and left me feeling sad for a few days afterwards..

"We are the real countries,

Not the boundaries drawn on maps,

With the names of powerful men.

That's all I've wanted -

To walk in such a place with you,

On an earth without maps."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kev (Canada/BC) & Kiki (USA/Oregon)

flag_usa_canada.gif

Married Nov. 27th, 2004

Done with USCIS until 2017!!

collage4.jpg

olivia12mo2.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I had a post a while back about who was gonna see the movie. Being from Afghanistan, the stories in the book hit home because I had grown up with much of the same stories. They are true stories...and it's so sad for me to say that. Little boys being paraded about by the Taliban...in makeup and dancing...oh it angers me so much. I cried watching the movie and reading the book. With his second book, I cried so much and I wasn't even halfway through. I really wish they make a movie out of the second one.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
I had a post a while back about who was gonna see the movie. Being from Afghanistan, the stories in the book hit home because I had grown up with much of the same stories. They are true stories...and it's so sad for me to say that. Little boys being paraded about by the Taliban...in makeup and dancing...oh it angers me so much. I cried watching the movie and reading the book. With his second book, I cried so much and I wasn't even halfway through. I really wish they make a movie out of the second one.

I didnt realize you were from Afghanistan, its nice to have your perspective.

I read A Thousand Splendid Suns in 24 hours and I cried for at least the last half of the book. Sometimes when new writers hit the scene and make a big splash with their first book the second book ends up being a big disappointment but in this case I actually thought the second was better. I also hope they will make a movie of it :)

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Timeline

I read A Thousand Splendid Suns in 24 hours and I cried for at least the last half of the book. Sometimes when new writers hit the scene and make a big splash with their first book the second book ends up being a big disappointment but in this case I actually thought the second was better. I also hope they will make a movie of it :)

Yes I agree. The second book was better than the first. I think that the stories had to be told and they were told very well. My cousin and I joke around about how we could have written those books...lol...but all joking aside...I always wanted to write a book about the stories (mostly of women and domestic violence cases/being married off at a young age)I was told and ones I witnessed. Khaled Hosseini beat me to it!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yes I agree. The second book was better than the first. I think that the stories had to be told and they were told very well. My cousin and I joke around about how we could have written those books...lol...but all joking aside...I always wanted to write a book about the stories (mostly of women and domestic violence cases/being married off at a young age)I was told and ones I witnessed. Khaled Hosseini beat me to it!

Well I think he's erupted a healthy hunger for such books so don't count yourself out just yet!

Are you serious though...they would parade young boys around like that? ####### does that have to do with Islam for God's sake????? :ranting:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

I'm an avid reader, and have only seen a few movies made from books. The ones I have seen I've really loathed. I read the Kite Runner, and loved it. I was reluctant to see the movie, however I really enjoyed it. I thought the young boys acting were amazing. I cried during the book and the movie. Very touching.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Well I think he's erupted a healthy hunger for such books so don't count yourself out just yet!

Are you serious though...they would parade young boys around like that? ####### does that have to do with Islam for God's sake????? :ranting:

It has absolutely nothing to do with Islam. And I surely hope that you don't feel that this is what Islam is about. They just put this facade on to make themselves look holy and Godly in the eyes of others and then they would do this behind closed doors. But it wasn't such a big secret because everyone knew about it. It goes on even now. A lot of my relatives refuse to let their children, especially sons, out of the house due to sick perverted pedophiles. I think that is what I want to write about, pedophilia in Afghanistan. It sickens me to the core.

pedophilia..has nothing to do with religion.....it is a psychological issue of control..power and the robbing of innocents

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
i've always figured anyone who can get through ulysses must be a masochist sara :)

and yr absolutely right that not every book has to be a literary masterpiece to have merit. i'm sure anyone who has posted here would regard some of my favorite readings in the same light that i regard kite runner. (i really liked house of sand and fog, and the last half of that book is a cliched and predictable mess)

The House of Sand and Fog is one of my favorite books and one of the few movies I actually enjoyed after reading the book first.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Another good book that I've read that really goes politically and historically into Afghanistan (but in the form of a novel) is

"The Sewing Circles of Herat" by Christina Lamb. On the notion of the Taliban - most people I think have this hyped up sense of who these goons are but in reality most of them are illiterate and have very very little education. Can you imagine having someone running a country who can't even write his own name? The only sense of Islam that they know is what they've been taught by mullahs as most of them can only read the Qur'an in Arabic, a language they don't even understand so they have no clue what they're reading! It's really an interesting tale of how all of this came to be. A lot of people think that once the Russians left the Taliban took over, but in reality, when the Soviets left, the mujahadeen and other warlords for lack of a better word came in, caused a lot of chaos, disruption, then the Taliban came, and were welcomed at first. Maybe Nizzy can give a better historical background, but my point anyway is that the Taliban were illiterate, poor, and mostly peasant class of people. Another BIG issue in Afghanistan was the role of the Pakistani ISI or intelligence service, who more or less ran the American covert war in Afghanistan.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png