SusieK

Obama Immigration Stance

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Charge more for legal immigration, all visa types... and you'll undoubtedly cause higher numbers of illegal immigration cases.

Not 'undoubtedly'. Only if the risks of illegally migrating do not outweigh the benefits. The risks of being an illegal migrant in this country can be increased in many ways, some legislative, some not. However, doing so would involve measures many of us in this country would be deeply uncomfortable with.

I agree... on our end of the deal. However this does not address the undoubtable fact that by raising the fee for legal avenues to US Visadom, you create an environment that is more conductive to illegal avenues. Not everyone that migrates to the US is middle class and above and we as a diverse group of VJers should know much better by personal experience. For many, its not a question of a migratory risk vs benefits scenario, its a question of life over here vs misery over there.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i disagree with brother arijit...fees are too high...........the poverty line is that and does not mean that people who are barely meeting it will become issues here..also, allot of youngsters are the one's most effected and this would be a barrier that is not justified ...unless you have stats..that i am unaware of..

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Timeline
I agree... on our end of the deal. However this does not address the undoubtable fact that by raising the fee for legal avenues to US Visadom, you create an environment that is more conductive to illegal avenues. Not everyone that migrates to the US is middle class and above and we as a diverse group of VJers should know much better by personal experience. For many, its not a question of a migratory risk vs benefits scenario, its a question of life over here vs misery over there.

Everything is risk vs benefit. If the choice becomes (and I'm not saying it ever should) poverty at home vs imprisonment overseas, or unemployment at home vs death overseas, is that not a risk vs benefit analysis?

Thing is, you just gotta raise the risks high enough. Are we willing to do so for the most desperate third world immigrants? Frankly, I hope not, but we'd be naive to think it can't be done.

i disagree with brother arijit...fees are too high...........the poverty line is that and does not mean that people who are barely meeting it will become issues here..also, allot of youngsters are the one's most effected and this would be a barrier that is not justified ...unless you have stats..that i am unaware of..

The fees are too high? You are suggesting one can sponsor a new immigrant and not be able to afford a $500 fee? Give me a break, if cutting out a 500 USD check means one has to wait for the next payday, one has no business at all sponsoring an alien.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Everything is risk vs benefit. If the choice becomes (and I'm not saying it ever should) poverty at home vs imprisonment overseas, or unemployment at home vs death overseas, is that not a risk vs benefit analysis?

Thing is, you just gotta raise the risks high enough. Are we willing to do so for the most desperate third world immigrants? Frankly, I hope not, but we'd be naive to think it can't be done.

The fees are too high? You are suggesting one can sponsor a new immigrant and not be able to afford a $500 fee? Give me a break, if cutting out a 500 USD check means one has to wait for the next payday, one has no business at all sponsoring an alien.

the fees are indeed too high for someone at the poverty line..not for me or you.......as i stated, most folks in this area are young ..in college etc....

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

the fees are indeed too high for someone at the poverty line..not for me or you.......as i stated, most folks in this area are young ..in college etc....

Right what he is saying is that if you cant afford the fee, can you really afford to sponsor an immigrant? The poverty line is a poor measure of actual cost of living in most places.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Timeline

Right what he is saying is that if you cant afford the fee, can you really afford to sponsor an immigrant? The poverty line is a poor measure of actual cost of living in most places.

What he said :)

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

Life is exactly so. Risk vs. Benefit. I just suggest you should consider it another way. More so to the point of view of whom has to decide to stay or go... of course, some are able to do it legally by the myriad of visa types that afford them the chance to do so. Unfortunately, whether its a matter of should or does, reality sets in and choices that usually flow in the direction of survival, occur.

As for mitigating circumstances... well, again... there's plenty of humanitarian reasons and methods to circumvent the factors that create illegal immigration in the first place.

In response to a USC being able to afford an alien sponsorship... I think it is clear that one time fees are reasonable while the ongoing costs associated with supporting an alien that at times (depending on the type of visa), is not legally allowed to work. This works against common sense.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yeah, but, as long as those people don't become public charges, then I don't have a problem with them scraping by as best they can. So do we know if they become public charges?

I mean, you hear people on VJ all the time saying stuff like "we couldn't do x this month because of the filing fees for y" and stuff. Clearly lots of people here need to work it into their budgets.

i agree..i have no issue but was trying to be a voice for the poor and young..oh well, f##k them

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

Timeline
Yeah, but, as long as those people don't become public charges, then I don't have a problem with them scraping by as best they can. So do we know if they become public charges?

I mean, you hear people on VJ all the time saying stuff like "we couldn't do x this month because of the filing fees for y" and stuff. Clearly lots of people here need to work it into their budgets.

Lots of contacts here have had to get second jobs. Also lets not forget ongoing costs while work status is obtained, and this in some cases can be delayed for quite a while.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Exactly.

I agree with VJ Troll!

A net decrease of a few hundred should not be a burden on potential and current marriage based visa applicants and USCs or they should probably reconsider this option. Think about it! The current fee structure is an equitable adjustment based on cost, which only effects a small population of our citizens (as far as marriage based visas are concerned). This increase, in theory, reduces and/or eliminates tax payer contributions to the operational cost of the USCIS. Even though it sucks for us, it was the correct course of action. As a citizen, fee based services should pay for themselves, as much as, the cost are fair and defendable.

There is my five cents. Does anyone have change?

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

Exactly.

Very true! For the folks who fell in love without the necessary intent of getting married, this becomes a nice piece of change out of the pocket book with the trip(s) to satisfy the requirement, the fees, the rings, the wedding, and other misc expenses, this becomes another line in the budget and a possible dip into the savings.

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Of course... there's another logical outcome. Charge more for legal immigration, all visa types... and you'll undoubtedly cause higher numbers of illegal immigration cases. Like its been said all along, people are people and will do what they have to do to survive (in the case of illegals that can't go the legal route).

I don't know if I agree with that. Most people who enter illegally invest thousands of dollars in the venture. Several people I know owe thousands of dollars; one woman I know owes $14,000 for her entry here. They pay people to get them across the border, to get them false documents, and to help get them started. It's not the poorest of the poor who are coming here; it's people with some means, who can scratch together several thousand dollars, which is seen as an investment.

Even with the increased fees, it's cheaper to do it legally.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Of course... there's another logical outcome. Charge more for legal immigration, all visa types... and you'll undoubtedly cause higher numbers of illegal immigration cases. Like its been said all along, people are people and will do what they have to do to survive (in the case of illegals that can't go the legal route).

I don't know if I agree with that. Most people who enter illegally invest thousands of dollars in the venture. Several people I know owe thousands of dollars; one woman I know owes $14,000 for her entry here. They pay people to get them across the border, to get them false documents, and to help get them started. It's not the poorest of the poor who are coming here; it's people with some means, who can scratch together several thousand dollars, which is seen as an investment.

If there is a legal option to begin with.

keTiiDCjGVo

Timeline

If there is a legal option to begin with.

Well- here's putting it into perspective- correctly: Most have no legal nor financial recourse to seek legal entry into the US.

Yes, many, many, many end up owing coyotes even MORE than 14K. THe key word is OWE. For the most part its more like a loan that actualy gets paid off. And putting together such an investment does not come easily. Many a times it comes at the expense of selling everything. Amazing what an American Dream costs nowadays for some.