SusieK

Obama Immigration Stance

35 posts in this topic

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is correctly stated and is based on reality. One cannot assume to have to pay, pay, and pay and then be expected to do well while sponsoring unless the incoming immigrant is a financial blessing to the family in case of family-based visas. Judging by the expensive cost of living in this country and by the modest means to most VJers that mention how they are (honestly do, that is), we should strongly think twice about thinking up ways of charging more in fees.

That is an interesting assumption. Is it really so hard for most USCs to add another person to their household?? Even though I live in one of the most expensive areas of the nation, I guess I am lucky (or responsible) that it will not create a strain. If only the consulate would issue the visa.....

I think they should do away with the co-sponsorship. But that would hinder many student relationships....

The fees are too high? You are suggesting one can sponsor a new immigrant and not be able to afford a $500 fee? Give me a break, if cutting out a 500 USD check means one has to wait for the next payday, one has no business at all sponsoring an alien.

I have to say that I disagree with that statement completely!

Not everyone who falls in love with an alien needs to have copious quantities of cash in order to do so. High fee's would indeed create hardship for the young, many of whom can, will, and I submit do just fine after the immigration process is done. The current OAS fee is something like $1100, and that is a lot of cabbage to many, who again, will be just fine once the fee is paid and they move on together in life. But it is not exactly chump change to many.

Frankly I had to work pretty hard every step of the way to get my wife here, and there are a lot more costs involved than the fee's, there was travel for me to visit her, travel to get her here, fee's for medical exams, and of course USCIS filing fee's at several points!

I did it because I love my wife, wanted her here, and she is indeed an asset, not a burden, and while I had to do some financial juggling to get her here, to my mind the future is bright and I am quite glad that I did it!

I do not begrudge having to pay the fee's, and for us the process was relatively smooth, but before USCIS decides to charge even more, there are quite a few fellow VJ'rs who put up with a living hell of piss poor service! And higher fee's could prevent some from being able to do what my wife and I were fortunate enough to be able to, and that is a shame, especially since many would be able to make it once the economic bleeding of the process ended...

That is my two cents anyway!

Edited by ready4ONE

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

The fees are too high? You are suggesting one can sponsor a new immigrant and not be able to afford a $500 fee? Give me a break, if cutting out a 500 USD check means one has to wait for the next payday, one has no business at all sponsoring an alien.

I have to say that I disagree with that statement completely!

Not everyone who falls in love with an alien needs to have copious quantities of cash in order to do so. High fee's would indeed create hardship for the young, many of whom can, will, and I submit do just fine after the immigration process is done. The current OAS fee is something like $1100, and that is a lot of cabbage to many, who again, will be just fine once the fee is paid and they move on together in life. But it is not exactly chump change to many.

Frankly I had to work pretty hard every step of the way to get my wife here, and there are a lot more costs involved than the fee's, there was travel for me to visit her, travel to get her here, fee's for medical exams, and of course USCIS filing fee's at several points!

I did it because I love my wife, wanted her here, and she is indeed an asset, not a burden, and while I had to do some financial juggling to get her here, to my mind the future is bright and I am quite glad that I did it!

I do not begrudge having to pay the fee's, and for us the process was relatively smooth, but before USCIS decides to charge even more, there are quite a few fellow VJ'rs who put up with a living hell of piss poor service! And higher fee's could prevent some from being able to do what my wife and I were fortunate enough to be able to, and that is a shame, especially since many would be able to make it once the economic bleeding of the process ended...

That is my two cents anyway!

My sterling pounds worth on this issue....I dont mind paying more for my SO to be here, but when I pay that amount to USCIS or Homeland Security, then make sure that I get what I am paying for that service .

Thats about two pounds with no change needed ` thanks

When something goes wrong remember this saying "WHEN MAN PLANS, GOD LAUGHS"

www.orlando4obama.com

I-130 JOURNEY BEGINSSent August 28, 2007 to TSC for receipting in CSCReceived NOA1 from VSC December 21, 2007

Notes - earned USCIS skymiles for sure - postmarked from Chicago Lockbox

online finally 2/24/08

touchy feely 2/25/08

touched 2/27/2008 - great RFE requested - just wonderful news to see in your inbox early in the am

3/13 - RFE letter FINALLY received - and document that we sent NOW resent back to VSC grrrrowling

3/19 case resumed processing

3/20 touched

3./21 touched

3/23 Easter bunny touched again

4/01 - APPROVED I-130

4/02 - touched

4/07 - received hard copy approval

NVC JOURNEY BEGINS

4/07 NV Case number assigned

4/08 AOS, DS and all fees paid online

6/09 tax transcript for 2007 just became available -whoot

6/20 NVC receives everything nothing more to give them now just close eyes and pray

6/23 NVC enters into system

6/26 NVC - RFE uggh - wants all three years of Federal tax return listed and they lost originals or so they say - DING DING ROUND TWO

7/25 NVC Case completed whooottttttttt

8/7 Case forward to US EMBASSY LONDON OH YEAHHHHHHHH -

Embassy - case out for delivery to embassy via DHL sneaky us lol

08/10Received

08/19 Medical Exam completed - healthy oh yeah!!!!!!!!

9/26 @8am -Interview - approved VISA IN HAND OMG WHOOT!!! HELLO AMERICA MY LUV

POE- Atlanta then MCO - October 15th with the cat "GIT" on board lol - POE SUPER SWEET

Husband home finally - god what a journey....but after 400+ days we made it

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Immigration fees already are reasonable. If anyone needs to wait to get paid to file a petition with a few hundred dollars, they should rethink being a sponsor of an immigrant.

What do you mean?

You know what I mean.

You're talking about family based immigration. What about other visas?

I'm talking about visas where one has to sponsor another immigrant. Fees should be high. That's not unreasonable. In fact, the income poverty limits should be much higher as well.

I have mixed feelings on that one Troll. I don't want to intentionally jack up any numbers on anyone. I believe those who follow me should have the same rules I had, for the most part. But, knowing that we were well above those limits, yet, struggling as we have, I can see your point. Those poverty guidelines are misleading.....they make you think, oh, you make this and you will be fine. That is not the case and the struggle is real. No one prepares you for the aftermath of the whole journey

You're totally right. My husband earns WELL above the poverty guideline and we still feel a huge pinch with only one income.